multi colored bag

TheKnottyMale

I used Carol Ventura's Beaded Spectal Basket pattern and turned it into an oval shaped bag.

I bought the pattern here:  http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/spectral-reversible-bead-tapestry-crochet-basket-for-right-handed-crocheters. I used left over Red Heart Super Saver and a steel 0 hook to make the bag. This is a Christmas in July gift for my neice.

post-39334-0-44022900-1362245776_thumb.jpg

post-39334-0-15585300-1362245804_thumb.jpg

post-39334-0-39711400-1362245827_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the compliments. This one was fairly easy to make. Even though there are several colors used, the pattern still allows you to only have to work with 2 colors at once. Converting it into an oval shaped bag was easy too. This is a pattern that has a 10 stitch repeat. The handles were made using 5/8" nylon rope.

For me, the hardest thing was getting all my math down correct so that I could end up with an oval crocheted piece that has a center opening that is the same size as the zipper that was purchased AND the final round had to have the same exact stitch count that the diameter of the bag has. I crocheted that piece onto the bag and proceeded to make the final rounds that created the handles and the bit of extra height above the zipper opening. I've included another photo that shows the opening of the bag more closely. Unfortunately, the red color came out pretty hot, but you still get the idea of what I did.

post-39334-0-27950100-1362286664_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my that is just beautiful! What a great job you've done.

I noticed you are using a metal zipper, that's good, did you know they can be easily shortened? It may save you a bunch of aggravation if you buy it an inch or 2 longer and just resize it to fit your opening when you're done. (that's mom's old sewing trick, can't claim it myself)

Did I mention that bag was gorgeous? the scarf, too! Wow!!

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, OUCH!  WW and  an 0 hook!  I have problems getting below a G hook without continually resting my hands.   Beautiful bag you are very talented!

My hook is heavily wrapped with surgical foam tape that is sticky on only one side. It REALLY reduces the stress on my wrist.

Oh my that is just beautiful! What a great job you've done.

I noticed you are using a metal zipper, that's good, did you know they can be easily shortened? It may save you a bunch of aggravation if you buy it an inch or 2 longer and just resize it to fit your opening when you're done. (that's mom's old sewing trick, can't claim it myself)

Did I mention that bag was gorgeous? the scarf, too! Wow!!

The zipper happened to be the perfect size that I needed. I've heard of that trick before, but haven't tried it out yet. I'm getting pretty good at figuing out the correct math to make things turn out the way I expect them to, but it has taken me years of practice to get everyting to look so nice when it's all finished.  :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived