Do you wear what you make?

I was wondering how many of you fellow crocheters wear what they crochet? I usually make doilies, but this last year I started crocheting with yarn. I love to make shawls, ponchos, shrugs and hats, my favorite of all. Every hat I make I say I am going to wear, but never do. I donno maybe it is a complex thing :scared The shrugs I love to wear! The shawls are pretty but I find them difficult to wear. Just curious how many of you wear your finished items..............Donna

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I've made fingerless gloves that I wear, but they're kinda too warm for summer.........i might get them out now though! I also made some a couple of years ago, but sewed, with polar fleece or whatever! I think I need them now! the A/C in my office is crazy! I made the pretty poncho, (it's a light, super lacy, kind of open stitch poncho, but I don't think I'm a really girly girl.......I felt too weird wearing it. Let's see, I made a wristlet bag, black with a white skull on it that I used for awhile, but then I didn't want it to get all stretched out and stuff. Let's see, I made a crochet choker, with crochet thread that I wear once in awhile, I crocheted a couple of hats, but I got too self conscious wearing them. I don't know what kind of hat suits me. I think that's it.......

Actually, I wear what others crochet me, but I never have time/never think mine is good enough to wear my own!

At this very moment I'm wearing a melon poncho a friend of mine made for me. :manyheart

I occasionally wear cute tops in thread from my sister, but that's only when I'm not doing anything related to food...I don't want to stain them. ;)

I also have a headscarf from a friend, a belt I made myself, another crocheted poncho...yes I wear it!

It's not that I wouldn't wear what I make, it's when I do make something for myself to wear, someone comes along and 'falls in love' with it and MUST have it, so I give it away. I think I only have 2 shawls that I've made for myself and 1 poncho and I do wear them when it gets cold enough, which isn't often in South Florida. Everything else I've made for myself, I've given away. I do have a special shawl I'm working on and no matter how much others may love it or want it, it will be for me and me only!!! But once it's done, I will share the pattern with you all. Now to find the time to get working on it.

Rachel, That sounds so nice! :) Wearing something you didn't make. I don't know anyone that crochets. Donna:hook

Actually, I wear what others crochet me, but I never have time/never think mine is good enough to wear my own!

At this very moment I'm wearing a melon poncho a friend of mine made for me. :manyheart

I occasionally wear cute tops in thread from my sister, but that's only when I'm not doing anything related to food...I don't want to stain them. ;)

I also have a headscarf from a friend, a belt I made myself, another crocheted poncho...yes I wear it!

Cheryl, That is such a compliment! It's nice when your crochet work is appreciated. :) Can't wait to see your shawl. I am working on one myself. I am using Holly's Butterfly pattern in dark blue rainbow boucle'. Donna:hook

It's not that I wouldn't wear what I make, it's when I do make something for myself to wear, someone comes along and 'falls in love' with it and MUST have it, so I give it away. I think I only have 2 shawls that I've made for myself and 1 poncho and I do wear them when it gets cold enough, which isn't often in South Florida. Everything else I've made for myself, I've given away. I do have a special shawl I'm working on and no matter how much others may love it or want it, it will be for me and me only!!! But once it's done, I will share the pattern with you all. Now to find the time to get working on it.

Oh I am so jealous. But really, good for you! I love skullies, but just not brave enough to wear them. I'm 38, so maybe not a skullie for me anyway.:lol My almost 16 year old son loves them. I have made him many. Donna:hook

I love wearing things I make or that others have made. I wear a skullie I made all the time, and have gotten tons of compliments on it.

Rachel, That sounds so nice! :) Wearing something you didn't make. I don't know anyone that crochets. Donna:hook
\

I've heard a lot of people say that. Incredibly, the majority of friends I have crochet! :cheer(At least, the girls. Most of the guys have yet to be converted.)

I forgot I made a holey rectangle stole out of two skeins of LB's Homespun in Waterfall and I wear that all the time in the evening...around the house.

I have a poncho I made that I love to wear but it's sooo hot here there's not much opportunity to wear stuff. I think I'll wear some shrugs when it get's cooler than 100 degrees :lol My dd loves fun fur scarves I make and my boys wear their hats I made them.

That's cool Elilzabeth! I had that happen once. Well sort of.....I made one on caney lady's ponchos in amore' purple. I got a lot of compliments on it and she told me I should sell them. Of course, I didn't. Donna

i wear what i make .. its the best advertising.. not to mention the fact i have sold many shawls right off my back !

Wow that's hot. Here in NJ we have been having really pleasant weather.(Shrug weather):lol Ah my son loves his hats too. Donna:hook

I have a poncho I made that I love to wear but it's sooo hot here there's not much opportunity to wear stuff. I think I'll wear some shrugs when it get's cooler than 100 degrees :lol My dd loves fun fur scarves I make and my boys wear their hats I made them.

I only wear two shawls that I made but then again I have not made anything else for myself. I am working on a shrug though. (not really, I put it aside when some other exciting pattern came along that could be used by my daughter)

I used to make stuff for myself all the time, but that didn't mean that I got to wear it. I crocheted clothing for 4 years and made 1 thing for myself. I ended up selling all the other things. I guess I needed the money more. I've slowed down since then, so it's not a made rush to make the money. This past month I made myself 1 poncho, 3 hats, a purse, 2 scarves, and a sweater. I'm going to be traveling in colder weather, so I'm preparing. Also, I crochet more for pleasure rather than order after order after order. I'm having fun crocheting for myself.

hats, i love to make and wear hats, im obsessed. i can finish one in a night after the boys go to bed so it is very rewarding to me... ive made them for family and friends and am going to try to sell some this winter.

Most of the stuff I made previously were baby blankets, dish cloths, and scarves (for others). The first one I made for me was an afghan that I started 3 years ago and am still working on (it's all just single crochet, so takes forever!). I did make myself a Fun Fur scarf and got lots of compliments on it. My fiance did make a scarf for me, but that was after I wore the one I made for him all the time (it was very warm, and I get really cold!). I also made a shawl for myself which I only recently finished. I haven't worn it out yet since it's really thick and the temperature is still ~100 here. (so I'll only get to wear it in Dec.)

Earlier in the summer I made a halter top for myself which I only recently finished altering so I can wear. :) I wore it to my belly dance class. :) (since I'm kind of shy about wearing stuff like that out and about)

Currently, I'm working on the flamenco wrap for myself to wear for belly dancing.

I feel a little self conscious wearing stuff I make... I'm never sure if I'm in love with it because I made it, or if it's really cute. HAHA. My sister likes saying I have horrible taste in clothes. :haha I guess I'm not the fashionable one in the family! So usually, I ask what she thinks first before I start making a piece of clothing for myself. :blush

I've only recently gotten into making things I would wear, though. I used to only make afghans, scarves, and other home decor things.

of course I wear what I make. :) Just last week I wore a sweater set. Tank top and sweater thing to a party and got compliments on it. It even inspired other crocheters who haven't picked up a hook in years to go buy some new books and get started again.

Yes I wear what I make. How can I expect others to wear my creations if I don't wear them myself. Of course I often end up giving away the things I make for myself to family and friends. I figure if i want to sell my stuff I need to advertise.

I usually dont make things to wear...just make quick items like dishcloths, towels, a few afghans. I did make a fun fur scarf last winter that I wear. Kids liked it so much that I had to make them each one too!

Deb in cool and rainy WI

Archived