Do you wear what you make?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way I see it, if you're happy with it, that's great. If it doesn't turn out quite the way you planned, you can frog and start over (way easier said than done, trust me, I know) or give it to someone who likes it more, or charity, etc. Have fun making yourself something!

You know, wearing my crocheted things has really helped me to wear brighter colors. I got tired of making things in muted colors, so I became more brave and wore brighter clothes and accessories.

I think everything I've made for myself I've worn out in public. And if I look a little odd, that's probably because I am. :loco

I've only made a couple of things for myself - a hat that I wore once (I just can't get into hats??), and a poncho that is ginormous and I really should frog since it's all LB homespun and there's probably $30 of yarn in it. Oh, I have a "lounge shawl" I made - hasn't been cool enough to use it. The kids like playing with it, does that count?

I have made a lot of things since I've been crocheting, but have never kept any of them:think I keep saying that the next thing I make I'm going to keep, but then somebody needs something and I'm off making that for them. I really do enjoy making things for others. But one of these days I'm going to make myself a sweather.

Yep, I made myself a beautiful sweater poncho last winter, and a capelet this spring...both in a shade of pink! :cheer I'm a pink/purple person...okay that sounds wierd! :D I'm currently making myself a pullover sweater with elbow length sleeves to wear to my class reunion in October. I wanted something in the school colour of orange to wear and it was so hard to find something I liked, especially in a plus size, so I decided to make it. I'm about 1/2 way done, and have four weeks to finish. I'll try to post a photo after I wear it. I'm also making a wrap cardigan (yep, it's purple) right now for this fall/winter. I'm also making my first pair of socks for this winter. Oh, scarves and hats OH MY! yep, got several and wear them.

:angel

• 2 weeks later...

I've been "hooked" on thread doilies for about 2 yrs now, but have made hats and shawls in the past and worn them. Have pillows and afgans in use now.

.I don't wear my ponchos,shawls or shrugs.I do wear button necklaces and hats!

Yarncat, may I ask you....what are button necklaces? Is there a pattern out there somewhere for them? They sound like something my daughters might like!

Deb in cool WI

I'm a clothes-hound, and my primary reason for picking crochet back up last year was so I could make stuff for myself, after being strongly attracted to all the lovely crocheted stuff in the clothing catalogs. :c9 I've made scarves and shawls, a capelet and a shrug for myself so far, and have lots more things planned. Time is the only challenge for me right now!

When I was younger, I sewed too, and made ALL my own clothes. I miss not having a sewing machine anymore, not to mention the space to set up a work area for that activity.

My absolute favorite items of clothing in my wardrobe have always been the ones I've made for myself, which really isn't all that surprising - they will always be to the specifications I expect. You can't (cheaply, anyway) expect custom-fitted clothes off the store racks, after all!

I could never imagine being embarrassed about wearing stuff I've made. If others don't like them, or think they're outlandish, that's their problem! But I've never run into that in the 30plus years I've been making things for myself.

Right now, I'm working on a shrug project for someone else to wear - my daughter. She is standing up at a wedding next month, and wanted something to wear over her bridesmaid dress, which is all strappy. She's a large gal and was feeling rather, uh, exposed, not being used to baring that much flesh. This will be my most challenging project yet, as I am planning to incorporate beads into it, my first time ever working in that medium. Needless to say, I'm nervous as heck! :sweat

That's great Goldi that you get to wear so much of what you make. Seems I never have the time to make something for me, always doing something for someone else or the house! I do intend though to make me a poncho this year, I just love that new plush yarn I saw at Wal-mart!:yay

the only wearables I've managed so far are scarves, for other people. :lol however my friend gave me about 5 skeins of this gorgeous lion brand yarn: Homespun: Color 305 Modern (I call it Peacock)

I plan to make a Scarf and matching beret.

I'm currently using "extra" yarn to practice the Beret patterns, first.

It was a pain, to be sure! It looks more like ric rac and I had some problems trying to draw it through the loops, but a bigger hooked sufficed.

Also going to try a leg warmer pattern: again, for other people.

:P

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I wear what I make for me...my socks, sweaters, jackets and so on...and the biggest compliment though is that my DH wears what I make for him...my ex wouldn't, but my DH does...and it always makes me feel good...even though I find myself looking at whatever it is and thinking, "Darn, I could have done that armhole better..." And he wears the sweaters and vests and socks out in public! That's love.

• 5 months later...

I'm a little too big for baby buntings or baby sweaters, but when I make the time for my own project wearables, I certainly do! There's nothing better than have someone compliment your sweater or jacket or shell and the pride of saying when they ask where you got it, I made it myself!

• 2 weeks later...

I usually make things as gifts...but I do have some shawls that I have made that I wear. Here is a pic -

This one I made special for a friend of mine...I just LOVE this pattern!!:cheer

s_shawlA.jpg

I started crocheting a little over two years ago - that first christmas, everyone (all 20 plus of them), got a scarf! Then I made ponchos for my daughters and my DIH. But I made one for me too - I bought a ball of fancy yarn here and one there, all in purples, fushias and greens with different textures, and then made myself a poncho. I must have $100 worth of specialty yarn in it! In the winter, I wear it to work over a long-sleeved purple top with a long purple skirt. I get compliements on it all the time, and hints and comments from friends and family that I could make them one too - I just tell them that they can't afford a poncho like that!

I made lots of hats too! But scarves and hats have a very limited season in Southern Califoria, so I've started making garments this year. I made the Stacy top in 100% cotton on pg 48 of Melissa Leapman's Cool Crochet book, and I wear it with a tan jacket and pants to work - very sophisticated. Then I made Eileen Tepper's Shrug-a-licious in a natural colored 100% cotton - people stop me in the store to ask where I bought it! I posted some pics in a thread here: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25852

I've made a couple of simple shrugs for my daughters, and I'm working on Angela Best's Rainbow Ribbon Bolero (which I might or might not give away). Also trying out some different tank top and cami patterns, too.

I think maybe the issue is knowing more what looks good on your body-type than what is a cute pattern. I watch "What Not to Wear" a lot, and I've spent a lot of time figuring out what works for me, which makes it easier to pick out a crochet pattern -- 'cause I certainly don't want to spend all that time making something that isn't going to look good!

I haven't made many wearables yet, but I wear my stoles and shawls a lot. I'm also half way through a pair of socks and have already been running around the house with one sock on...lol! I'm to the point where I don't care what people think, I made it and I'm going to wear it!

I have to agree that I enjoy wearing/using things other people have made me even more. I ran around all winter with the hat my swap partner sent me! And I'm not even normally much of a hat person...hehe.

• 2 weeks later...

I wear most of the stuff I make, but you can just never know what will really be useful until it's done and you start wearing it. And then you're sometimes surprised at how something simple turns out extremely useful and just goes well with your other clothes, and sometimes by how something intricate that took a lot of work and looks great on its own just doesn't get along with anything.

I'd say it's 50/50, I have some items that I love to look at lying around hardly ever worn, and others that are much less interesting that I wear every day. :)

Archived