Have you noticed a change in the softness of RHSS?

Yes!!! I am so happy because I like the price of RHSS but have avoided it in past years because it wasn't as soft as other brands (I love Caron pounders :) ) but I'm very glad they have improved their softness!! :cheer

I noticed as well! I always steered clear because it felt scratchy to me before. Today while at Walmart with my Mom though, I found some really beautiful colors I'm going to have to try, since they seem to have softened it up a bit!

I've only bought the Aran color lately in RHSS, but White, Aran and Soft White have always felt softer to me than the other colors. I'll have to check it out to see if our limited selection is selling faster to get newer product in :D Though when I wash SS, it usually softens up a bunch.

That's great news :) I love to use Red Heart for all the toys I make Caron Simply Soft makes toys a little too floppy for my taste. I've been using I Love This Yarn because it's soft but if RH would soften i would buy it.

I have been working on my Christmas presents, and I really do believe that RHSS feels much softer slipping through my fingers! Anyone else noticed this? Please excuse if it's already been discussed! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

I have to agree. In fact, last night I was comparing a new skein I bought yesterday with a skein purchased about 2 years ago and there is definitely a difference to me. Yeah RedHeart!

I have noticed the difference. I have always loved RHSS for the colors and price. I wasn't too happy when it lost the softness but continued to use it anyway. Last year I bought a couple of Caron's Pounders to use and only the other day began to use on one of them. I like the softness of it and it is easy to work with but they just don't have the colors in the Pounders like they have in the RHSS.

I pulled out some hot pink from my stash to make a hat and thought "Wow, this is kinda scratchy"! It does soften up after washing though. I hadn't even thought about the newer feeling softer until I saw this post and since using the yarn from my stash. Way to go RedHeart!!!

I have to agree. In fact, last night I was comparing a new skein I bought yesterday with a skein purchased about 2 years ago and there is definitely a difference to me. Yeah RedHeart!

I just noticed this same thing too. All my old ones are scratchy and stiff and the new ones are very nice.

Let me just tell you this....YES!!!! For years ~ and I'm talking probably 10 at least ~ I refused to buy Red Heart Super Saver Yarn. In fact, I boxed up all that I had and gave it away to someone here on the Ville. Now all of the sudden, that's all I want to buy!!!! The colors are amazing and it is definitely softer. I am so happy that I like using it again! :woo

There are still some colors that are still really scratchy, but yes I noticed back around late spring/early summer that it seemed a little softer than before. I've started using RHSS more again for donation blankets since there are more colors to choose from and it holds up well.

Archived