Felted tote

crochetdiva

I actually made this several months ago, for my sister. I used white buffalo wool, and the blue stripe was Koolaide dyed. It felts really well, but next time I think I will split the yarn to make it thinner.

feltedbag.jpg

I like the way it felts too. Someone told me they got it on www.yarnforward.com for $2/ball. I got mine at the thrift store...and paid more than that. It is between $9 and $12 a ball up here. So I would definitely check out that site.

Buffalo wool? How very cool. Where did you get it? I really like the way it felted!

Ooh - I like that a LOT! I would LOVE to get my hands on some Buffalo wool, the critters are kind of special to me... :manyheart That turned out great, Andrea!

I especially love the color, it's very "homey" looking, and the stripes set it off nicely.

I have never worked with wool.. let alone do any felting..

I remember my first time when i received a wool sweater.. i washed it and dried it like a normal sweater.. welp.. i got a stiff sweater back.. I had no idea that happened to wool and until i came to c'ville that is when i learned that is how you felt! lol

I admire anyone that can felt... how come you would want to split the threads? To make it less heavy? (sorry if bad question i have NO idea how to felt other than take a nice sweater from store and throw it into my washer and dryer! :eek:eek)

Great bag! I've been really eyeballing the white buffalo lately... how much did ou use in your bag?

Unfortunately I don't recall, I just know it wasn't that much, maybe 2 balls. When I made it I used part balls from the thrift store, and didn't pay much attention...sorry.

I admire anyone that can felt... how come you would want to split the threads? To make it less heavy? (sorry if bad question i have NO idea how to felt other than take a nice sweater from store and throw it into my washer and dryer! :eek:eek)

When you knit or crochet with finer yarn the felting is smoother and the stitches don't show as much. They show a lot with the bulky yarn. But that was okay for this project.

I washed it 3 times, I believe. It felted so well. It is a really big bag, for my sister's knitting stuff. I haven't lined it yet tho, cos I can't find any material that matches it....I am too picky.

Andrea, very nice tote, your sister will love it, as for the lining, you could always use a novelty fabric with yarn and knitting needles and stuff printed on it, there are so many cute fabrics out there.......let us see a picture of the finished item when lined :hug

love the tote :)

I have REALLY gotta try a full felting project sometime soon....i love the way it looks!

Wool is usually pretty expensive, but that site has some really good sales.

Now i just gotta buy some wool and get started :hook

~Chicki

Archived