Knitters, Crochet, and attitudes

I recently posted in a LYS forum about the results of a study that shows crochet ranks higher than knitting for sales and in household use. I posted about the results here too. The study shows that crocheters spend more than knitters. I posted in the LYS forum mainly for the purpose of letting the LYS owners know that it might be in their interest to focus a little more on crochet. I was proud to see crochet recognized as a real power in the craft economy.

Now I'm sure that the members of the LYS forum are mostly knitters. And one of the remarks that resulted from my post bothers me.

Basically the response was that the reason more money gets spent on crochet is the "fact" that most crocheters buy tons of acrylic at the "big box" stores and that most of those purchases are made by older people. She thinks that lots of grandmothers crochet and avoid the local yarn stores because wool costs more, that these "grannies" would die rather than spend more than $5/skein.

Well, the remark has been nagging at me. I think it reflects a stereotypical negative attitude that some, certainly not all, knitters have about crochet. So tell me.... what's your take on this??

Link to poll on where you buy your yarn

Link to poll on where you buy your yarn

Well, I don't agree with the statement that most crocheters are grandmother age.

However, there may be something to the feeling that most crocheters are buying yarn from big box stores. Yarn store owners tend to talk with their customers about the projects they're working on, and the impression I get from what most LYS owners say, is that the vast majority of their customers are knitters not crocheters. Also, anecdotally based on the crocheters I know locally, they tend to purchase their yarn from the big box stores while the knitters I know purchase more from the LYS.

It is a simple fact that most LYS owners believe they don't have many crocheters purchasing their yarns. As much as LYS owners tend to talk with their customers and build relationships, it's a little difficult to believe there are huge numbers of incognito crocheters shopping the LYS.

I know there are plenty of crocheters who do shop in the LYS. I just don't know how their number compares to the number who shop mainly in the big box stores.

I think I shall create a poll, so we can at least get a feel for where Crochetville members shop.

Hi Jimbo :waving

You know, i've seen a lot of online discussions about LYS attitudes, the stereotypes of crocheters vs. knitters, and I know you have too:) At this point, I feel like I am kind of "over" it. Now what I am wondering is, why is spending less money on yarn necessarily a negative stereotype? If I can find a yarn I like that suits my purpose for $5/200 yards, of course I will use it.

I would always encourage crocheters to check out natural fibers and to consider LYS yarns, and to note that craft-store yarn is not always less expensive per yard than LYS yarn. Price is one factor to consider, but how the fiber can be laundered is very important also, and of course this is where acrylic beats out many natural fibers because it is so easy-care. I personally don't like to make wearables from acrylic and would prefer a natural fiber. For clothing, i like to knit with wool, and to crochet with plant fibers (cotton/bamboo/silk, and especially linen although it can be really expensive for me).

So i don't think it is possible to generalize about what fiber/yarn/price point is "best". It really depends on what the criteria are for the specific project.

One of the reasons I'm vague about my geographic location is that "my" LYS basically has shut me down: I tried for about three or four years to become a regular, recognized, appreciated client, even while struggling with severe under-employment and lack of income.

I was a regular in the chemo/charity hat program, and I purchased what I could, when I could from the LYS. However, the owner isn't (how can I say this???) particularly warm in her person-to-person relationships, whether the customer is a knitter or crocheter.

I personally have heard her, when "helping" walk-ins with troubled projects, say, "Well, here's where you messed up." Not very encouraging words to someone who knows there's something wrong with her project and just wants help. She is short with people on the phone to the point where staff within hearing range feel the need to pretend not to hear *sad*.

I had to wait four weeks for an order while she accumulated other "needs" from her distributor--which would have been OK if she had told me in advance that I would need to wait, but I needed the supplies on a shorter turnaround basis, and got into a jam (with a class here at C'ville, ironically) because I didn't have them.

I have heard from dedicated knitters that they've experienced these problems also, and gone elsewhere, so it's not just me. *sigh* I can no longer deal with going to this LYS, another one nearby has closed, and the next-closest one (a combined fabric/yarn store) may be closing its yarn department. This will leave me with a Michael's and a Joann's as the closest sources of yarn. Bleah.

Can't win for losing, it seems like.

What I did buy from her wasn't cheap, either: Brown Sheep Burly Spun ($25/skein) for a hat. Denise Interchangeable Crochet Hooks ($45). Mini Mochi yarn. Etc. Tried to get more than one crochet class/2 months so that more crocheters would buy yarn--no go. She has ten 3-foot shelves plus a four-way revolving stand of knitting books and patterns, but only one 3-foot shelf of crochet books. I have all the ones I want, and when I've asked whether new ones were on order, staff said they just couldn't say. Etc., etc.

Maybe you'll get some useful info from your poll. The LYS owner felt that she was recognizing the importance of crochet, by the way: she made sure to tell me that the word "crochet" appears on her storefront window.

DCM

I think I shall create a poll, so we can at least get a feel for where Crochetville members shop.

Excellent idea, Amy! And even though I don't crochet much at all.. what I've found from my limited experience is that it might be true that more crocheters buy at big box stores, but I'd take serious exception that big box or any other crochet purchases are made mostly by "grannies". That comes from a grampa who knows a few grannies. Heck, I even know a few knitting grannies.

But I think a poll would be really interesting.

I buy from Joann's and Michaels out of necessity. There is only one lys and it is very limited in it's selection..yeah mostly natural/wool stuff and that just isn't material I want to use to make things for my grandkids or in instances where I know it needs to be easy care. I LOVE the natural fiber yarns and have made things for myself and some others. But with some of the beautiful acrylics out there and easy care what's a granny to do :D. Funny Jimbo when you say "granny" as the lys owner said it I don't think of looking in my mirror :rofl And I have 2 grand kids!

I agree about the attitude towards our artform in the LYS. I think that crochet can tend to go faster than knitting and if we used more expensive yarns that at Michaels etc, we'd all go broke trying to feed out habit. For me, I do almost all charity crochet, and the better a deal I get on the yarn, the more I can buy and the more I can donate.

When I make myself a special scarf, I like to treat myself to the LYS.

My mother is a knitter who shops at Joanns and Michael's. She too, does almost all charity knitting -and needs to find the best price to be able to donate more.

It's a shame that people need to make themselves feel better about their craft by disrespecting someone else's.

It feels bad when one fiber-artist feels the need to disrespect a fiber-artist of another "School". I used to work at an LYS, and we tried to have a good balance of materials...I think we succeeded. Books/leaflets, the balance was off kilter toward the knitting side, but that had more to do with publishers. (hooks, needles, yarn, thread, acrylic, natural fibers...decent balance) We had classes for both knitters and crocheters. Those of us who worked there had the chance to go through supply catalogs when they came in, and mark what we thought customers (or we) might like. I loved some of the items we carried, and purchased those as budget allowed. But I will admit that when it came to needing a basic acrylic for a project, I went to the big boxes...As others have said, what best fits the need, for the best price. Sadly, this store no longer exists, but that's another story.

I shop a blend..depending on what I'm after. (most of my lys though, lately, seems to be online :P)

I would love to support indy LYS's if there was one within a reasonable distance to where I live. It's not just the cost of the yarn to factor in, but the cost of the gas to get to/from a LYS! I do tend to buy some yarn from a LYS in Boston when I visit my DD.

I agree that when making items for children or afghans, easy care is key- and acrylic fits the bill for that!!!

I think that the LYS are suffering the same thing as the indie book stores. I used to work at a Borders, and would go to a local book store for my comic books as well as their used book selection. The fact is, if someone is voracious with their hobby, unless they're independently wealthy, they're going to go where the prices are best.

Also, there's the convenience: I have 3 Michael's and 3 AC Moore's and 1 Joanne's (not to mention 2 Wal-Marts) within a 10 mile radius of my house, yet only 1 LYS.

Then there's the customer service. I also had a negative experience in the only LYS store in my area, and this one was based on a stereotype of how I was dressed - biker jacket and short dress, the woman was horrified when I stepped into her (empty) store.

And what's wrong with acrylics? Have the LYS considered stocking the more affordable yarns, or are they letting their own prejudices get in the way of attracting a new type of clientele? I know that, just starting out in the hobby, I'm not going to spend $15 per skein when the pattern says that I need at least 8-10 skeins.

And for the record, I'm 38 years old, FAR from being a granny - not that grannies aren't awesome!

She thinks that lots of grandmothers crochet...

Hey, as a grandmother of eight I "resemble" that remark! :lol

Seriously, I wonder if the part of the country has anything to do with attitudes at an LYS. My favorite one is owned by two grannies and they both knit and crochet. One sister seems to spend more time knitting and the other has some gorgeous crochet patterns she designed and has for sale. If you are ever in Longview, Texas, go by Stitches N Stuff where I guarantee you will be well treated as a crocheter. Note that I live in the South, where crochet has been very popular for years. At our county fair crochet has always been far, far better represented than knitting, and yes, most items in the fair are acrylic and can be traced to the local big box stores.

I think part of the big deal is that knitting suddenly became "hot" again about 10 years ago or slightly longer. Knitting is all the rage for celebrities which gives it a certain cachet, while poor crochet, justly or not, is the sad stepsister in the cinders. Possibly LYS owners are influenced by the celebrity aura as much as any of us.

Me, I buy both crochet and knitting supplies all over, including my LYS, where I prefer to go if I can afford it. If I lived closer to it I would be positively dangerous.

Maybe some people haven't been informed that a lot of us "older women" have much more to spend on our hobbies now than we did when we were young. That doesn't mean we're wealthy, but when I was in my 20's, I couldn't buy more than a pattern called for, I wouldn't have even dreamed of having extra yarn. Now, of course I shop carefully, and I buy at sales, but if I find yarn I want, I buy it ~ and if I love it, I buy a LOT of it. I have built a large stash over the last few years, and SOMEONE is getting that money because I want yarn. It doesn't make sense for shop owners to look at us like we're only going to spend $20 a year.

Seriously, I wonder if the part of the country has anything to do with attitudes at an LYS.

I agree with this statement....I have never been to a lys that has been rude to me because I was purchasing yarn for a crochet project....I guess I'm lucky!

As far as the "granny" image...I do agree that we crocheters have that stigma attached to us. I have been crocheting since I was a girl, while I am pushing that 50 mark, I guess I could be a "granny"! LOL! This is one of the reasons I love to post my finished projects over at Ravelry....Ravelry is heavy on the knit side.....I think that if more of us here posted our beautiful projects on Ravelry, the knitters would see what can be done with crochet....I have had comments on some of my finished items saying that they love them and wish that they knew how to crochet....

My LYS owner knits and crochets. I've never been treated badly by her or seen her treat anyone badly. Unfortunately I don't get into her shop very often and I mostly buy from the larger retailers. Not only for price, but selection. I give away most of what I make and paying $15+/skein isn't reasonable for what I do. I'd go broke. :)

:turtle:vheart

ina 20 mile radius from my home I have 4 walmarts, a michaels, a joanns and a local craft/fabric/yarn store. My walmaarts still have yarn, i detest Michaels because their yarn is soooo expensive, Joanns is my stop for some tools...lighted hooks and the batteries, i mostly shop at the local store but maybe for a different reason than most people think. I love the people there...the older ladies and the young kids even the high school age boys are so very friendly and helpful. They always greet me when i walk in, a fewq even recognze me with personal things. The last time i was there they asked if i had finished the basket for the basket of goodies swap...the last time i was in was a month before when i mentioned it offhand, they stock the regular acrylic red heart, bernat and lion, they have a ton of baby yarn, lots of ww cotton though only in skeins no cones but if i suggested it they might start carrying it. My love of their shelves is the fact that they have almost all the colors of no10 crochet cotton thread. They have aunt lydias but that is what i love to use. One other thing...they will start carrying things at the sugestion of customers. I can also find all kinds of things there...wooden shapes paint flowers bulk buttons, sewing supplies, they have a great framing department they even have the ball point paint craft that i remember as Arttex that you use on fabrics. I love it not to mention they are less than a mile from home. I shop whare i hgappen to be i guess. My experience with my LYS has been mostly positive so far but i have been shopping there for almost 20 years.

And on another note...i am 38 and i am a granny...my first grandchild is due any day now

I misguided you guys. The remark wasn't from the LYS owner. They're really good, friendly people who cater to their customers who are primarily knitters. The remark was from one of the knitter customers. And come to think of it, most LYS owners I've talked too are not crochet UNfriendly, they just don't get it that crochet is a big deal. I'd venture to say that it's more the knitting customers who tend to look down their needles at crochet.

And as to fiber.... don't any knitters use synthetic yarn? Just seems really odd to me that there should be such a bias.

I misguided you guys. The remark wasn't from the LYS owner. They're really good, friendly people who cater to their customers who are primarily knitters. The remark was from one of the knitter customers. And come to think of it, most LYS owners I've talked too are not crochet UNfriendly, they just don't get it that crochet is a big deal. I'd venture to say that it's more the knitting customers who tend to look down their needles at crochet.

And as to fiber.... don't any knitters use synthetic yarn? Just seems really odd to me that there should be such a bias.

Yes, some knitters use synthetics. There is a whole Rav group dedicated to love for synthetic yarns but I would have to go searching to give you the link. Especially people who are making something for children or for young mothers who don't have time for handwashing will use machine washable fibers.

The bias is just goofy. I crochet and I knit. I use both natural fibers and synthetic ones. Each craft has its own strengths and weaknesses and I choose the craft and fiber depending on the desired result and who it will be for. What IS the big deal between knitters and crocheters? And I might add that crocheters can have chips on their shoulders toward knitters just as easily as knitters can be snobbish. It goes both ways.

Sadly, in south Texas we don't have any fabulous yarn stores. We just got Hobby Lobby a two years ago. They have the best variety of yarn in the city. We have Micahels and of course the 3 WalMarts carry yarn, but it is hard to find high quality fibers in this city. Thank goodness for the internet.

"Imight add that crocheters can have chips on their shoulders toward knitters just as easily as knitters can be snobbish. It goes both ways. "

I agree totally.... just seems that the crocheters" chip is more of a defensive one.

Yes, some knitters use synthetics. There is a whole Rav group dedicated to love for synthetic yarns but I would have to go searching to give you the link.

Here is a whole thread on acrylic awsomness in the yarn forum.....

I have never been treated poorly in a yarn store. Sometimes the proprietors seem bemused by crochet, but not hostile. Big box stores are more convenient and affordable. My daughter who knits and I both shop at the same places. I probably buy more good yarn that she does because I can afford more, but neither of us ever turn down an opportunity to go yarn shopping anywhere!

And I might add that crocheters can have chips on their shoulders toward knitters just as easily as knitters can be snobbish. It goes both ways.

Carla, i really agree with this! I don't see where anything is gained by being defensive about crochet.

Archived