miniature bear and a hanky edging

Momcrochets

two more January projects...(long story short, after one looong thread project (thread Christmas tree skirt) it was time for some shorter projects)

The teddy bear was one I had started months ago, and then got involved in some larger projects, so it was tucked away in the corner of my project bag, head-and-torso ready for stuffing, but that was as far as it got. So I finished her. Then she needed a dress. Which I made with two strands of sewing thread, one an all-purpose thread, and one an embroidery thread (shiny and slippery)... and my tiny, restored by me, hook. It was very fiddly...I'm far more comfy with size 30 or larger threads. :)

post-7396-135897627037_thumb.jpg

But as you can see, she's tiny and cute. about 1.5" tall. Funny story on the "dress"...I didn't like how low the skirt started, once it was on the bear, so I made an extra layer, starting higher, actually the row on the foundation chain! But I think it turned out after all that..

post-7396-135897627044_thumb.jpg

(stats, the bear: some wool-type thread made for embroidery type work that I bought years ago. and my comfort hook size 6...which is a 1.00mm I believe. And the smallest I want to crochet with, I think)

And this is a handkerchief I edged (the edging is from an old, vintage edging pattern booklet (10c printed on the cover)...I carry hankies all winter long... (size 10 thread, cotton square about 8". 1.65 mm hook)

post-7396-135897627047_thumb.jpg

Thank you! I am rather fond of my teeny-tiny bear. Working with that thread was fiddly, but much easier with the comfort-hook (the fat yellow handle) than it would have been otherwise. The 1.25mm hook is probably a better fit though. :)

Working with sewing thread, even two strands...that was a challenge. I did it, but I don't want to repeat that very often! oy!

I do enjoy having pretty hankies, too.

Thank you all, for all the nice comments. :)

Your bear is fantastic... she's soooo precious! I love your hanky edging too... I used to think I'd like to try a bear in thread... Not anymore! To much work after seeing the great job you did on yours.. Do you think you will make another one? GBU!:):)

Dawn, I will definitely make more...But I doubt I will dress them as often! :) This pattern was in a book of "scrap crochet", using size 10 thread. (101 Easy Scrap Crochet" I think...it has a ghan with "crazy" hearts, and the bear, wearing a hat and scarf on the the cover. hard-cover book) And it's one of the simpler adorable bear patterns, I think. I just kept going smaller and smaller. I think I found my "smallest"! I've also made it in a fuzzy yarn I found on clearance, about a WW...but that one still needs a face. :P There's a "Monique" pattern, via CPC that is also fairly easy to manage--the trick on that one is the nose, which uses a smaller thread. Don't let my baby bear scare you off! :) GBU

• 2 weeks later...

Archived