Teenagers!!!!

my daughter is almost 16:eek She found a slouch beanie on the website for her favorite store...it is crocheted and $15 she is very thrifty...She sent me a message on facebook from her room:think Mom will you make me one. Next message...the link to a free pattern online for a beanie very similar to the one she saw on the website. Then she called me a crochet machine. I don't know wether to be upset with her for calling me a machine or thrilled that she admires my skills enough to ask for something:think I guess it is off to the yarn stash to find some Red Heart Soft to make her a beanie:hook

I would be honored that she admires your crochet skills enough to ask you to make her one. How many teenagers want to be seen in something made by mom in public?! That should tell you that she finds your skills to be good enough for her.

Awww that's nice that she wants you to make her something. One of my daughters (soon to be 13) wanted a slouch hat and texting mitts, I made them as a matched set and she wears it every day; my other daughter (17) wanted a scarf and she wears that almost every day. I feel good that they wanted them, because when they're older they may not:( (I have older kids and they seem to have lost their "zing" for mom made stuff. lol

Wait a minute here......your daughter has you as a friend on facebook? That is unheard of in the teenage world - way to go mom! Great job! My friends son (16) will not accept her as his friend on facebook, but he accepted me :think. I know he does that to get her going and I think she enjoys that just as much - he is a great kid.

Don't forget to show us a pic of the hat when you are done.

Maybe she just meant that you're a fast crocheter. I would take it as a compliment since machine work is usually perfect.

My MIL told me once that she thought the thread crosses I made everyone for Christmas one year were machine made- they were so perfect.

Wait a minute here......your daughter has you as a friend on facebook? That is unheard of in the teenage world - way to go mom! Great job! My friends son (16) will not accept her as his friend on facebook, but he accepted me :think. I know he does that to get her going and I think she enjoys that just as much - he is a great kid.

Don't forget to show us a pic of the hat when you are done.

not just me...her grandmother, her brothers, her aunts, her father and her uncles are her friends on facebook. My one rule online...if you have an account so do I and i will be addded as your friend or the computer gets locked down. It works really well with the `13yo boy too. This way i can monitor what they are saying and doing

not just me...her grandmother, her brothers, her aunts, her father and her uncles are her friends on facebook. My one rule online...if you have an account so do I and i will be addded as your friend or the computer gets locked down. It works really well with the `13yo boy too. This way i can monitor what they are saying and doing

Same way in my house. and for awhile I made them give me the passwords to get into the account.

and doesnt it feel good when a teenage asks for you to make something?

I think it sounds like the teenage way of complimenting an adult ha ha! Straight forward and to the point! I would be hugely flattered! In my house I dont have to say a word, my kids (12,8,6) are great at advertising what I do! My 6 yo was selling to the teachers at his school today!!! They are very happy to wear anything I make for them too, and announce to anyone that mummy made it! Why dont you encourage her to make one along side you, if she found the pattern it sounds like she would pick it up easily enough! My youngest wants to learn although Im sure he sees it as a money maker.......!!! Good luck with the beanie, Im sure she will love it.

Many years ago, when my niece was 3 (4?), she saw a crocheted snowman on a magazine cover. Instead of saying "I want one", she said "Auntie Ellie will make that for me." It was nice that she knew it was something I could do :manyheart. Of course I made it for her. My 4 neices (all teens) and my nephew (9) like my work.

Ellie 13

Archived