Hyjinx

I'm so excited!! Today I was gifted, by surprise, by an older friend at work. He was trying to clear out some items of his mother's who passed away about 5 years ago. He knew I "knitted" (that's what he calls crochet) so he brought me in this small green tin seen at the end. No one else in his family crochets.

Inside were these hooks along with 3 other steel Bolyes (made in the USA) sizes 9, 10, 11. I just find them facinating. I've never seen hooks like these. And yep, it doesn't take much to amaze me.

Notice the hook at the bottom of the 1st and 2nd pic. It converts, I'm assuming so that the tiny, tiny head is protected when not in use.

And of course the metal brass(?) hook. It's a little damaged from looks like an amazing amount of use.

As for the green tin, it had a use too. My friend said that his mother would keep her spools of thread in there and feed the end through the hole in top while she 'knitted".

I'm going to have to google to find out more about these, but no matter what I find out, they will always be treasured as my first gifted "vintage" hooks.

If you have any insight on any of these hooks, please let me know.

TFL

post-18779-135897614783_thumb.jpg

post-18779-135897614785_thumb.jpg

post-18779-135897614788_thumb.jpg

post-18779-135897614791_thumb.jpg

post-18779-135897614793_thumb.jpg

Wow young lady you got some really neato hooks there I never seen any hooks like that before and I got my moms hooks i inherited after she passed away.. And my moms never had any like that i I am guessing those must be older than when my mom passed at 72 10 years ago..

Please do let us know what you find out ..

hugs

Lillibet

You definitely have quite the gift there!

I noticed when I clicked on one of the photos that one of the hooks is marked as being from Wavery & Son. If it's the same one that I found online, Wavery & Son is a company from the 19th century. Yes that's right, the 1800's!!

That's an OLD crochet hook there! Not sure if it's worth much other than sentimental value, but that's still quite the find.

What a treasure. Hang on to those. They look like they are really really old some of them. Cherish them. They area a gift and you were blessed by such a dear nice sweet person. I'm sure the person(s) who used them before you will be guiding you through your projects when you use them. That is just so neat.

Archived