Clueless

Hello! My name is Brooke and I freely admit to being clueless. My mother and older sister both crochet and knit (are these two things really different?), but neither were willing to teach me. Now, my husband has expressed a wish for me to make him an afghan, and I don't even know where to start. There is a Hobby Lobby nearby that offers knitting and crocheting classes, but they are ongoing and I would need to start at the beginning.

I guess what I am wondering most is

What is the best way to learn? Classes? Books? I just moved to Albuquerque and don't know anyone, so asking a friend is out of the question.

Is an afgan as good a place as any to start? Should I start on something easier/smaller?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

First of all welcome to our forum, I would suggest that you take a class to learn crochet, many yarn stores or craft stores offer classes. :hook For me watching someone do it is easier than trying to figure out from looking at an illustration. :think

I would also start on something small before tackling an afghan, I have been crocheting for years and have only made 1 afghan so far. Whatever you decide have fun with it, it's a great craft. Lots of luck to you and whatever you do make we want to see pictures. :hug

Hi Brooke, welcome aboard! Just to confuse the issue, I'm going to tell you that my mom taught herself to crochet and knit by watching other people, so you can do it that way. She taught me just a couple of basic stitches, then I taught myself a bunch of other stitches by watching the videos at stitchguide.com. (I totally recommend this site, by the way. Really clear videos of what the stiches look like and how they're made.)

You could easily make a simple afghan just by using a double crochet stitch and that's it. Doesn't need to be complicated at all, and will still look gorgeous. Are there any meetup.com crochet groups in Albuquerque or maybe a Stitch and Bitch group (check online)? Many SNB groups have crocheters and not just knitters, and I'm sure somebody would be happy to help you get started. Of course, a class would be fun just because you'd get to meet some other crafty people. In fact, just ask around your office or neighborhood--I bet there's a crocheter lurking nearby! Just get a nice skein of cheap, light colored yarn (it's easier to see the stitches in light color, I think) and a medium-sized hook, and try it. I have a skein of light blue Red Heart Super Saver that is my practice yarn!

Good luck! You will love crocheting--it's a great stress relief, and then to know you made that with your own hands is so cool. Patty

Hello! My name is Brooke and I freely admit to being clueless. My mother and older sister both crochet and knit (are these two things really different?), but neither were willing to teach me. Now, my husband has expressed a wish for me to make him an afghan, and I don't even know where to start. There is a Hobby Lobby nearby that offers knitting and crocheting classes, but they are ongoing and I would need to start at the beginning.

I guess what I am wondering most is

What is the best way to learn? Classes? Books? I just moved to Albuquerque and don't know anyone, so asking a friend is out of the question.

Is an afgan as good a place as any to start? Should I start on something easier/smaller?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, Greetings from Alberta, Canada!!!! :welcome to Crochetville, Brooke! Starting with a crochet class would be a wonderful way to learn and meet other newbies who are just trying it out and meeting people who already know a few basic stitches. I would suggest going to a crochet class and they will definitely be able to help. An afghan that is just a simple stitch after you master it would be a good idea or you could start small and make a potholder. You certainly did join the best place on line to get help. Crochetville is one big happy family here and we will be willing to help you out every step of the way! :ghug

Hello and welcome!!!!!

stitchguide.com

crochet.about.com

Your local walmart (or any type store like that with a craft dept) SHOULD have one of those "I Taught Myself to Crochet" kits They are very very handy as they include the hooks.

I found once I had that (the book with hooks) some yarn and the internet I was crocheting like I had always been.

Hi, Brooke! WElcome to Crochetville! :)

I learned the basics (how to hold a hook, yarn, etc properly) and a few basic stitches from my grandmother (watching). I ended up relearning a bunch through books and asking questions.

If you have someone you can watch, or who can show you, that's a great way to do it. If that isn't available, then there are videos available, or a book with good diagrams are a good way to go.

Welcome to the forum!:welcome:hi I think taking classes might make it go alot easier. I taught myself to crochet but it's slower that way & no one to ask questions to. I've just recently started teaching my daughter to crochet.:yay

:welcome Brooke, from ON, Canada!

I agree with what many others said about taking a class, maybe check your local yarn shop if the chain stores have only on-going classes at the moment, buying yourself a self-taught book, and practise, practise, practise.

Have fun!

Hi and WELCOME!! I've had a couple of friends teach themselves using the Walmart book; and then again I've known people that had to be taught. You could try one way and then if that didn't work go the other way. Most IMPORTANT, be patient with yourself and it will COME!! You'll also find a lot of help and support here!!

Welcome! From an actual neighbor! I'm in New Mexico, just outside Farmington.

An afghan is an okay place to start, start with yarn anyway, as opposed to thread. I started on afghans, and managed. When I decided to learn to use thread, I practiced (and practiced, and practiced) on bookmarks!

The reason I crochet and don't knit: my left hand is stupid, and doesn't follow orders well!

Hi Brooke,

I taught myself to crochet, with a book that shows how to do the stitches.

There is software that will teach you how to crochet and will show you the stitches. Here is a link to herrschners for that software.

http://www.herrschners.com/products/sku-019103__id-463.html

Classes are fine, and for some people they need to see someone do the stitch. Some people don't.:shrug

Now as for an afghan, you can go as simple as a single crochet or a double crochet. :think

I wouldn't start with any fancy yarn, just some plain old Red Heart or Caron.

Good luck and feel free to ask away.

We all love helping each other and newbies.:hook

Archived