New here, and to crocheting!!

shellizabeth

:hook I have decided to give crocheting another try. My grandmother taught me to knit, but I'm not sure where my brain was when she was giving crochet lessons:blush I have seen so many lovely patterns that I thought with the help of this group I might get it sorted out. I have a very basic book and the required hooks, now some quiet time to practice. I babysit my 22 month old grandson 5 days a week, and he keeps me busy. I am presently waiting for a heart transplant so I can no longer work as a nurse...... but once I get a heart i am going back to work! Does anyone have any tips for someone like me who has barely ever had a hook in hand? Shellizabeth:sheepjump

Hello and Welcome to the group. Glad you are here. My advice you can take or leave but I went to the senior citzens home here and you would be amazed at the number of ladies that were happy to help me figure things out and I pop in when I can to show them what I have made and with any questions I have.

:welcomefrom the mountains of Colorado!!

Amanda:hook

PS...as a newbie myself the best advice I can offer is to make lots of things. When I started knitting I just kept makinf things and eventually they looked like they were supposed to.:lol

Hello and :welcome from NY. As a relative beginner myself, I try to remember to enjoy the process with great anticipation of the outcome...maybe that will help. Everyone had to start somewhere, don't be hard on yourself and enjoy!

Welcome from Wisconsin! I started crocheting by making smaller things like potholders and practicing my stitches, then working my way up to bigger projects so I could feel accomplished. Good luck and have fun!

:hook I have decided to give crocheting another try. My grandmother taught me to knit, but I'm not sure where my brain was when she was giving crochet lessons:blush I have seen so many lovely patterns that I thought with the help of this group I might get it sorted out. I have a very basic book and the required hooks, now some quiet time to practice. I babysit my 22 month old grandson 5 days a week, and he keeps me busy. I am presently waiting for a heart transplant so I can no longer work as a nurse...... but once I get a heart i am going back to work! Does anyone have any tips for someone like me who has barely ever had a hook in hand? Shellizabeth:sheepjump

Greetings from Alberta, Canada!!!! :welcome to Crochetville,Shellizabeth. I do hope you get another good heart with the transplant. I was a CNA before becoming a SAHM to a beautiful 3 year old daughter. And a good tip about starting to crochet.....try doing it in a stress free environment and take your time. Don't rush and if it doesn't work out the first time....leave it and go back to it later when you feel ready. And that idea about going to the Senior Citizen's Center is a good one or look into a Crocheting Class at your local Michaels store. I know they do knitting and crocheting classes but you will find a lot of teachers here willing to help you out anytime you need it.

Thank you all for the wonderful welcome!! :cheer I will keep at it, now I have to keep my grandsons busy little fingers away from it, it is amazing, he can take it out faster than I can crochet it up. I really like the idea of going to seniors, what a great resource and I'm sure they would love the company too. Thanks again, Shellizabeth:clap

:welcomefrom the Lone Star state, TEXAS.

I think many of us learn to crochet and/or knit when we were younger, but didn't get far with it until later in our lives. As they say, "Better late than never."

Hi and :welcome from Austin, Texas

When I started out I got me a bible. "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Knitting and Crocheting". It's helped me out mainly the knitting part. But, anytime I get stuck that is the first thing I grab..

Archived