Wrist Bags For Your Projects

AidanM

Has anyone else noticed these bags on KnitPicks? They're just big enough for a ball of yarn, some notions, and your needles/hooks. They're lightweight and hang from your wrist so that you can knit (though you could crochet as well) as you walk around?

I just think it's kind of funny, as I've been doing this with plain ol' plastic bags for a while. :lol

OK crocheting and knitting while walking is right up there with reading and walking. While I love to do all three (read, knit, and crochet), I'm afraid that everytime I combine these things with walking I end up hurting myself.

Crochet + walking = injured dawn :)

I admire those folks that can multitask in this matter. If there were no walls, buildlings, tables or other threatening obstacles (example: piano in my office) maybe I would feel differently :)

I'm with you, CrochetTreasures. I cannot walk while crocheting, reading or anything at the same time. When I read, I want quiet and a quiet place to read. When I crochet, I want quiet and a quiet place to crochet. When I walk, give me a disc man and I'm off. I cannot walk & do anything else. It's my reflection time. I can't ride in any sort of transportation and do anything but sit & reflect. Kudos to all those that can do more than walk when walking or riding. It gives me a headache & I mess up bad. :blush

Can't see me doing that :think I'm too clumsy or something but it just seems foreign to me.I can't do anything in a vehicle but look around I get motion sick. I also don't watch tv much while I crochet , I have it on but I'm listening mostly.

Thanks for the tip .. i found two kinds and like them both .. i like the idea .. i am always tring to do that with a plastic bag .. looks so tacky .. hahaha ... also like it for my breaks when i want to go out side and just knit or crochet in the sun for 15 or 20 minutes :D ..

I am hooked :hook on crocheting and knitting .. i just can't stop ..

hahaha nice. ive always read while walking to and from places (the bus, my grandma's, etc.) ever since i was a kid. you just get used to using your side vision to keep you on the right path, heh. and of course look up every once in a while. and listen for cars!!!

ive only tried it a couple time with crochet, and i was working from a bigger WIP bag so it wasn't as smooth as i had hoped, hehe. but maybe with a smaller bag... hehe. :)

and like tguzman mentioned something like this would be excellent for taking small projects outdoors; lunch at work, lunch at home, kids playing in the backyard, just enjoying the weather. all without having to bring an army's worth of gear. :lol

I've been to 2 new crochet club meetings(which seems to require talking along with crocheting;)). When I come home, I find boo-koos of missed stitches on my tunisian camo afghan!!!:blush I have so far to go on that thing that frogging is depressing. Can you go to club meetings and NOT crochet?

So walking around AND crocheting might be dangerous for me.

I think knitting while walking would be much easier than crochet...I can knit pretty much without looking at my work if I am on a straight run, but no way can I crochet without looking at my work all the time...

Laurie:hook

The bag can be useful, even if you can't walk and crochet - I received a lovely little crocheted bag from Fran as a thank you gift, I use it almost constantly, mainly when I'm standing around somewhere. Yesterday, I spent nearly two hours at the auto repair shop waiting for my car to be fixed. Repair shops are such dirty places, even when they try to keep it clean. I spent most of my time standing with my little bag holding my yarn and crocheted my heart out. The time sure went quickly!

I also use it alot at work, when I go on my breaks outside. Break area is "standing room only" in the smoking area. I do sometimes also try to crochet while walking, but don't get all that much done when I do. But it's not impossible. I've also been known to walk and read, have a pretty good developed peripheral vision because of it, lol!

Have crochet bag, will travel! :hook

oh my 10 dollars for some string.. a disk.. and maybe some toggles under? I see some inspiration coming !!

LOL! I did try to make my own version of that. It turned out okay, but is a bit hard to use. Only works with thread, too. I used some Lion Incredible ribbon, cut some thick cardboard and threaded it through and put a large wood bead on each end. But it's not very stable, and the thread doesn't release very easily without the ribbon spinning and winding itself up (rather tightly, after awhile) on your wrist. You end up spending more time adjusting things than crocheting...

When I need to make the ball of thread turn inside my little wrist bag, I put a small plastic bowl inside it and put the thread in that. I use those plastic containers that you get from the deli with potato salad and stuff in it, they are just about the right size to hold a ball of thread, and fit very nicely inside my bag.

Wrist thread holders are wonderful! even if you have to be stationary while you work. They make it possible to answer the phone or get a glass of water without having to put your work down. Also they solve the problem of the thread falling on the floor and rolling into oblivion. I made one last month and intend to make another ASAP, one for home, one for takealong.

I can read and walk at the same time!:cheer When it's a really good book. (Anne Rice, LOTR mostly) When I used to work near my home, about a 25 minute walk, I would read the way there and back. With a husband, and a son I found that's the only time I could really read without getting interrupted. (Unless you count stop lights, traffic.....etc.) Just got to remember to look up every once in awhile!!! :book I haven't tried crocheting and walking yet.

I have a bag that's really useful that I got from a friend of mine. It's about the size of grocery bag, sideways I guess. It's got two loop handles, and kind of gathered, or has little puckers, or whatever around the top, to make the bag part roomy. On one side, below the end of the handle is a metal ring-hole to put yarn through! It's great! I love it! It would be nice to have a smaller one to walk around with......:ducky

OK crocheting and knitting while walking is right up there with reading and walking. While I love to do all three (read, knit, and crochet), I'm afraid that everytime I combine these things with walking I end up hurting myself.

Crochet + walking = injured dawn :)

:lol I agree with that one

Still, I think the idea is good...

Wrist thread holders are wonderful! even if you have to be stationary while you work. They make it possible to answer the phone or get a glass of water without having to put your work down. Also they solve the problem of the thread falling on the floor and rolling into oblivion. I made one last month and intend to make another ASAP, one for home, one for takealong.

They can also be a fashion statement.

http://www.therockingchair.us/OriginalDesignX.html

Scroll down, the middle item in the bottom picture is a thread holder. I tried it out before I sent it to my partner...and it worked great!

Archived