Hello from South Georgia

katysam

Hello everyone! My name is Katy, and I have been teaching myself to crochet since early July. I've been working on beginner projects that teach me something new with each one. I decided to take up crochet because I wanted someting to do while sitting and waiting...swimming lessons, baseball, eveings at the in-laws', etc. My husband thinks I'm obsessed because I'm crocheting every spare moment, but that's one of the things I love about it. I can pick it up for five minutes, make some progress, and set it down without disrupting my efforts.

Right now, I am working on the Lion Brand Prayer Shawl, and it appears that it is going to take more yarn that what the pattern calls for. Is this common? Should I be in the habit of buying an extra skein just in case? My gague is correct and so is the width of the shawl.

I look forward to learning a lot from everyone in Crochetville! Thanks!

Hi, Katy! I always buy an extra skein just to be safe - you can always return it (although I never do - lol), but if you don't have enough and run out, it can be difficult to match dyelots or colors (with yarns w/out a dyelot). Better safe than sorry. :)

Welcome to Crochetville!

Hi, I recently joined Crochetville and I'm from Mid-GA. I'm also hooked on making shawls, right now. I'm currently making the Batwing Shawl http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/donisfuff/croshawl.html .

As for your question, it's not uncommon for me to purchase that extra skein of yarn, just in case I need it. Once you get use to how tight or loose you crochet, you will know if you need that extra skein or not. You can always return the yarn, but I never do, I end up making something out of it. Hats are an extra, fast item to make and if you can't use them or have too many, you can always donate them to a charity. The Ronald McDonald House, in Macon, can always use hats for their preemie babies.

:welcome to Crochetville, Katy! Greetings from Alberta, Canada. In answer to your question...always check your gauge while crocheting. This saves you a lot of time and prevents you from frogging too much. It is always good to buy extra yarn when you are working on a new project. You always have a wide option of working on other projects that call for scrap yarn, like an afghan or hats or etc; Anyway, we are glad that you joined us...

Archived