New Bernat Crochetalong - did you see this?

WVUAlesha

All squares done and ready for assembly here. Not many tips up on Bernat's super fantastic join method yet. I might wait a couple days until everyone starts posting to see how I join.

Did everyone but me block? :blush

Has everyone decided what they're doing with the completed projects? :scrachin

I didn't block :blush

I have mitered set sewn together. It took a looong time with all the color changes (groan). It looks fine though, nice and square ;)

I have NO idea what I'm doing with mine yet. Maybe a give away on my blog? I really don't know...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In answer to the mitred square question- the answer is a YES- Wish I did four more of the 16" granny.

In answer to the blocking question- I didn't block mine. I'm hoping when I stitch them together they'll be ok.

Going to work on the rest of the clue#8 squares. Looks like I won't get to attaching them until the weekend.

I am considering keeping this one for me since the colors will match my LR couch (except for the topaz but it's a nice contrast) and the fern green that I used there goes with my bedroom which has light green walls and light green carpet.

I have the columns sewed together on my afghan. I still need to sew the rows, but I'm not going to get that finished tonight. :sigh

I do like the way the mitered squares look in the corners, but we easily could have done a solid granny in the corners for the same effect. Ah well, like I mentioned earlier, after all of these years of crocheting, I learned some new things making the mitered square. I'm really interested in finding out the suggested border.

By the way, I didn't block my squares. I was able to get the squares to 8 inches almost exactly each time. Within a quarter of an inch doesn't require blocking, IMHO.

Anywho, I wanted to share some pictures. :D

post-28827-135897598837_thumb.jpg

post-28827-135897598842_thumb.jpg

I have the columns sewed together on my afghan. I still need to sew the rows, but I'm not going to get that finished tonight. :sigh

I do like the way the mitered squares look in the corners, but we easily could have done a solid granny in the corners for the same effect. Ah well, like I mentioned earlier, after all of these years of crocheting, I learned some new things making the mitered square. I'm really interested in finding out the suggested border.

By the way, I didn't block my squares. I was able to get the squares to 8 inches almost exactly each time. Within a quarter of an inch doesn't require blocking, IMHO.

Anywho, I wanted to share some pictures. :D

Nicole- It's looking great!!!! So I take it you are doing the vertical columns first, making strips, then will sew the strips together? I was wondering if it was easier to sew rows together and then attach each row, or do columns (horizontal vs vertical). Still have 3 more squares to do- Assembly this weekend!!!

Wow! That looks awesome! I'm still making squares! :lol

Thank you! :cheer You can get the get the squares done! :cheer

Nicole- It's looking great!!!! So I take it you are doing the vertical columns first, making strips, then will sew the strips together? I was wondering if it was easier to sew rows together and then attach each row, or do columns (horizontal vs vertical). Still have 3 more squares to do- Assembly this weekend!!!

Thanks! Yes, I slip stitched it vertically. Tonight, I'll go through and attach them horizontally.

I decided to slip stitch them together because it gives me a stronger hold. Trying the way Bernat suggested, I've had squares start to pull apart.

Here is a picture of my layout. It's not quite like the layout in the CAL, but almost. I didn't like the light colored shell stitch squares on the outside, so I moved them. I apologize for the lousy picture, I had a hard time getting all the squares in it. I had to stand on a chair to get this shot. Ignore all those ends. I plan to use them to sew the squares together.

post-6189-135897599013_thumb.jpg

Paula- your flower square looks great!

Cindy- I love your afghan!!! Like the way you arranged the squares.

I'm debating on whether to whipstitch, do it the way Bernat says or slipstitch. Oh, decisions!!!!

Cindy, yours is looking great!

I have the first three rows of squares horizontally sewn together. I'm sewing them into horizontal strips and then I will sew the strips together.

I have a bunch of other crochet projects going right now, so I'll be doing good if I get them all sewn together by next week's clue.

I'm really loving seeing how all of yours are turning out :)

Nicole, your ghan looks great! Nice bright colors, too:clap

here is my flower square I made yesterday

Very pretty:cheer

Here is a picture of my layout. It's not quite like the layout in the CAL, but almost. I didn't like the light colored shell stitch squares on the outside, so I moved them. I apologize for the lousy picture, I had a hard time getting all the squares in it. I had to stand on a chair to get this shot. Ignore all those ends. I plan to use them to sew the squares together.

I agree with putting the lighter ones inside - with your colors it definitely works better.:cheer

Paula- your flower square looks great!

Cindy- I love your afghan!!! Like the way you arranged the squares.

Cindy - Your afghan looks fabulous!! I love the colored you chose.

Cindy, yours is looking great!

I

I agree with putting the lighter ones inside - with your colors it definitely works better.:cheer

Thanks everyone.

Help!

I am not certain about the layout - the red is just so powerful...

My dad fooled around with it and came up with this alternate version... which do you guys like? or do you have other suggestions?

post-42783-135897599662_thumb.jpg

post-42783-135897599666_thumb.jpg

Everyone's that I have seen so far look amazing! it is so cool how random colours can end up looking great together!

Help!

My dad fooled around with it and came up with this alternate version... which do you guys like? or do you have other suggestions?

[ATTACH]30827[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]30828[/ATTACH]

Everyone's that I have seen so far look amazing! it is so cool how random colours can end up looking great together!

I love your colors!!!! Personally, I like layout # 1 the best! Good luck putting them together- I'm kind of dreading this part of the process!!!

Help!

[ATTACH]30827[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]30828[/ATTACH]

and I'll confuse you more: I like #2:lol

whatever way you do it, it'll look great!

Archived