Private Crochet Lessons

I frequently give crochet and knitting lessons. I have taught several young teens. DD's friends. I do not charge them i even supply first needles or hook and skein of yarn. The "price" for learning is to make something for charity. It has worked well and I have been able to send lots of lapghans to cancer paitents and to our local hospice.

For a 1 1/2 hour 'class' I charge $30 for an individual. 2 students is $25 each and 3-6 students is $20 each. This does not include materials. If they wish for a complete 'kit' that's $20 extra.

What do you put in the 'kit"????

I started a group and I myself do not charge, I started it with one lady who i met in walmart in the yarn section,

but when i put up signs or adds for new members I also am sure to let them know NO investment is needed, that I"ll provide yarn and hooks ect at the meetings. (as i have lots of alum hooks and they are not my fav). so people can come to our lil meeting and try it.. if they don't like it they are not out any money.. if they like it. then they can go purchase suplies. :).

but In a way if iwer to charge... I'd proly only charge 20 dollars for a 2 hour session. (that is usaly how long we meet). and I"d put all money into more yarn and hooks. as we use our time to make squares to but into blankets for charity

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just gave a girl crochet lessons I won't charge for the yarn but right now letting the girl borrow my hook. She will have to buy her own hook.

Okay, here I go again today (I will go to sleep soon, so this ranting won't and can't continue non stop forever!!)

I truly feel, as crocheters, we are just too entirely good for our own good, and for the art of crocheters and crocheting's good!!

We want to give away our art, we love it so, we have so much passion for it and want so much for others to know how to do it and how wonderful it makes you feel when you can actually make something with your hands..

however, we can't give away our talents!!! Yes, I have taught kids thru the Needle Arts Mentoring program - a great program that supplies start up supplies of kids who want to learn. But, we really need to rethink what we charge to the general public. Lets face it, it isn't easy to teach someone to crochet, really, it isn't. You have to have lots of patience, desire, know how, time, and there is lots of planning involved before the class. We should charge an amount to show our pride in what we do. Lots of times, I think, we are underselling ourselves and the craft, by teaching classes for free, or for next to nothing. I think it needs to be at least $20 per hour for individual, and $10 an hour for a group of 2-4 people, and that is still low. And a definate 2 hour minimum, and remember that doesn't include the hours you put in ahead of time in planning and preparation for the classes!!

I say this for me, as well as to others. This is a craft that will last a lifetime once it is learned, and the person will be able to pass it down for generations. Yes, it is true that 50 years ago, or so, our grandmother's and mother's taught us....for free, or at least that is how some of us learned. It is a different world today. We have to charge for the passing on of this tradition, today's society looks at something that is free, as if it has no value. We have to show how valuable the art of crochet is, as well as the many benefits that will come with learning the craft.

I totally understand charging for learning, but in my area it won't fly.... I learned to crochet from my MIL, and I have passed it on to a granddaughter and a few friends, not sure if they still crochet or not... but I would gladly pay someone to teach me to tat, I can't find anyone to teach me. I guess it a supple and demand thing,, Good luck

I totally understand charging for learning, but in my area it won't fly.... I learned to crochet from my MIL, and I have passed it on to a granddaughter and a few friends, not sure if they still crochet or not... but I would gladly pay someone to teach me to tat, I can't find anyone to teach me. I guess it a supple and demand thing,, Good luck

there is a REALLY good book at JoAnn's (where i got it, anyway, lol) for learning to tat. it has a dvd also to reiterate and demonstrate what the instructions are. The title is "learn to tat" by Janette baker. i highly recommend it. i was learning it before xmas, but time got busy busy, and i've not had a chance to go back and learn more.

sandy

I don't mean to belittle anyone teaching and charging (or paying) for lessons, but I don't understand why someone would pay. I taught myself from a book with pictures. I can understand it for some situations (young children, etc.). Can someone tell me?

I don't mean to belittle anyone teaching and charging (or paying) for lessons, but I don't understand why someone would pay. I taught myself from a book with pictures. I can understand it for some situations (young children, etc.). Can someone tell me?

Sheila, I'm like you. Virtually every craft I've learned, I've taught myself. And while I may have picked up tips & tricks from other practitioners, the basics I've taught myself.

But not everyone is like us. I don't know if it is a lack of confidence in their own learning skills, or what it is. They want to be TAUGHT.

Nothing wrong with that, because we all learn differently.

I taught myself to crochet and to do many crafts from books; however, for some reason, i could not teach myself to knit. (i know, the dreaded word, lol). i tried off and on for well over 20 yrs. i tried different books, etc. no luck. then last yr i took a class throuogh the local parks and rec center and can even make socks now. YA!! so, it's not that they lack confidence or other, it's just something not fully registering at the time. IMHO.

sandy

• 6 months later...

I haven't charged at all for teaching someone to crochet. I did give my services to my children's school, as part of the fundraising project. I taught a set of triplet girls how to crochet in their home for a Sunday afternoon. I got to teach, and the parents had helped the school. Worked out well.

My whole thing is to get people crocheting and knitting. And if I have the time, I love to help someone learn. The other day, I met a friend at the coffee shop and I showed her how to make the baby booties that I am making. It was fun, and we drank a whole lot of coffee.:)

It's just a personal thing. I would love to teach more people, and the money isn't really necessary.

I don't know if that helps you at all. But that's my story.

:manyheart

• 2 months later...

The lady I'm teaching, hasn't quite grasped onto reading directions, especially when it comes to a 'repeat' pattern as in the ripple she's working on. I had someone teach me how to 'read' the patterns. Once I got that understood, I got hooked. I can read a pattern and picture in mind how it will go. Not everyone learns the same way or picks up on things easily as another person would. Best that I can explain it.

• 1 month later...

I came here to get an idea of what to charge as someone actually asked me while at A.C. Moore if I could teach her, I'll have to go to her home which is not even in the town I live in so I have to factor in "mileage", after all gas is not cheap these days. Besides, I'm barely working a few hours so I feel I'm not in a position to give my time away for free, especially to a stranger...

I want to take the opportunity to reply to those who wonder why anyone would pay to learn when they (as did I) taught themselves. Well, first of all, you CANNOT make the assumption,as I did once, that everyone has the same learning ability, it is plainly NOT so, some of us can easily grasp written instructions or visual tutorials while others simply cannot. I recently tried to teach a new friend from church but she could not even hold the yarn right in order to make a slip knot, she just wouldn't "get it". I had to exercise SO much patience that evening I was exhausted mentally by the time I got home as with much struggle she barely managed to make a few chains in like 2 hours, after that I no longer thought teaching/learning crochet was easy...

But even when that is the case it is SO much better when encountering a problem to have someone actually SHOW you what to do. And this doesn't apply only to crochet, but to many other things, cooking for example, some people left on their own would burn water... And even though I have taught myself several things others I could only learn in a class or by having someone else explain them to me.

Therefore, I agree very much that crochet lessons should be priced just as for any other skill; as someone said, the benefits will last a lifetime, and as a bonus it's also great emotional therapy AND physical one too (it lowers blood pressure, raises serotonin levels, etc.), and has anyone checked lately how much a psychologist hourly fees are???

I frequently give crochet and knitting lessons. I have taught several young teens. DD's friends. I do not charge them i even supply first needles or hook and skein of yarn. The "price" for learning is to make something for charity. It has worked well and I have been able to send lots of lapghans to cancer paitents and to our local hospice.

What a very nice thing to do! You are helping so many people by doing this, not to mention the idea you are planting in these young girl's hearts! Your daughter, her friends, cancer patients and who knows how many down through the years as these young girls start following your lead will be helped by your generous heart! :manyheart

• 8 months later...

I normally charge $10/hr, which is pretty low, but the people I teach aren't rich and I know that raising my price would be a problem, so I don't. I only do hour-long classes now (time is at a premium), but they usually run over, which is fine. I teach at home so really all this takes is an hour of my time - no gas, no travel time.

If I were to get a new group of students though, I'd probably bump it up to $15. Right now, it's always the same ppl I see.

• 1 month later...

I often wonder if I would charge to teach someone, I have offered to teach how to crochet to several people and noone really seems interested. :-(

I think this would be a great service to kids. Learning a skill that can be improved and use throughout your life is great. Making things with your hands teaches you self respect and self awareness. I really wish when my daughter is older she'll want to learn. I sometimes wish that I could teach a group of kids at a girls club or girls scouts, etc. If you teach 10 kids how to crochet, and only 1 of them carries on and passes it along when she's older, to me that's a triumph.

I think I would probably charge a fee to cover the materials. $10 per person would cover a ball of yarn and a hook or couple of hooks easily.

Archived