Our House [Archive 5]

Super Granny

I think I am giving up on the bicolored saltines. I had some issues last night. It was also midnight. If I still have the same issues I will just finish that block & send it off as a preemie blanket somewhere. Then start on a saltine project when I buy some soothing mistake hiding colors. :lol

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I am giving up on the bicolored saltines. I had some issues last night. It was also midnight. If I still have the same issues I will just finish that block & send it off as a preemie blanket somewhere. Then start on a saltine project when I buy some soothing mistake hiding colors. :lol

Where are you getting stuck? Maybe we can help. I think I've made about every mistake in the book at one time or another. :lol :lol :lol

Erin, good luck with the induction. Hugs to little stubborn Alex. :hug

Hi, everyone. I went to Michael's yesterday and bought yarn and a quilt book which has lots of patterns that wouldn't be hard to convert to quiltghan patterns. :devil Talk about killing 2 birds with one stone. At WM I bought about 15 yarns or so of material for quilting. 5 of the pieces were Christmas prints which are now half price. :devil

Jessica~Believe it or not, the bi-colors get easier. :hook I remember having a horrible time with them when I first started...now they're lots more fun.

Linda, it sounds like you found some great things! What are you making now?

Here is my Double IC. The colors are Medium Thyme, Windsor Blue and Aran and it's about 62" square. Any opinions on the border? So far, I've thought about three sections of border in different widths and using all three colors. (Clickable - and Zoe says Hi! :))

th_DoubleIrishChain12-08001.jpg

th_DoubleIrishChain12-08004.jpg

Here is my Double IC. The colors are Medium Thyme, Windsor Blue and Aran and it's about 62" square. Any opinions on the border? So far, I've thought about three sections of border in different widths and using all three colors. (Clickable - and Zoe says Hi! :))

It's stunning! I've been thinking of doing a "band" for mine. Probably the lighter color in DC's or HDC first, then the medium, the dark and the medium again. Possibly ending with the light. It looks really good in my head, I'll have to graph it out to see if it'll look good in reality :lol

Yes they take a while to get the hang of them but once you do then its easy. Im not looking forward to showing my oldest daughter how to make them. She has some to do in the Amish Star. What part are you stuck with.

Hi, everyone. I went to Michael's yesterday and bought yarn and a quilt book which has lots of patterns that wouldn't be hard to convert to quiltghan patterns. :devil Talk about killing 2 birds with one stone. At WM I bought about 15 yarns or so of material for quilting. 5 of the pieces were Christmas prints which are now half price. :devil

wow you got some great bargains there, that will keep you busy. It will be interesting to see what you convert to saltine ghan out of that quilt book.

Jessica~Believe it or not, the bi-colors get easier. :hook I remember having a horrible time with them when I first started...now they're lots more fun.

Mary its just gorgeous. :clap I do love the colors and wouldnt have thought to put those together. I think your cat has taken ownership of it. :lol

Not sure with the border, I always find that hard to decide as well. I would suggest sc with the thyme, then dc with the blue, then sc with the white and finish with the blue again. Something like that.

Check out Annie's Attic FPOD for today!

http://www.anniesattic.com/free_pattern_day/index.html

I know! I saw that last night and saved it right away! I'm thinking that's gonna be the ghans my sisters get for Christmas next year :hook

Today my DD14 decided that she wanted to make saltines and picked out a pattern on Caras website. She is going to make the Amish Star. So far she has made 11 saltines. Not sure how long it will last but she is determined to do it at the moment.

Anyway tonight my other DD11 decided she wanted to try it again. She has had a lot of trouble with crocheting as she has problems trying to hold the yarn and the work. Anyway we finally made progress tonight and she has nearly finished the first round of the first square. Mind you it has taken a few hours to get this far but she is finally getting the hang of it. Tomorrow I will show her how to do the HDC to join the round and turn the work and start the next row.

Hooray for Kelly and Emma!! :clap:cheer Persistence pays off :hook

I signed up for their Wednesday deals and get an email every day. This jogs my brain to check for the FPOD, otherwise I would never remember! :D

Oh now that's a good idea :yes

Yep. I'm still working on a scrappy Irish Chain too, so I did some for both last night. There was no way I could do the baby blanket. I needed to count a chain 14 and 27 hdc's, I can't count that high while trying to talk to people at the same time :lol

:lol :lol

Where are you getting stuck? Maybe we can help. I think I've made about every mistake in the book at one time or another. :lol :lol :lol

Erin, good luck with the induction. Hugs to little stubborn Alex. :hug

Oooh more goodies :drool We were at WM today and admiring all the fabrics but I'm broke and I swore I wouldn't ask for anymore advances on my allowance. BD offered but I said no. I might regret it later but I'm proud of me for now :lol

Oh look at Zoe!! :manyheart She's such a pretty baby :cat Okay, as far as the border, what I would do is make enough saltines of the windsor blue to go all around and then add rows of sc, hdc, sc and then a round of rev sc or hdc if you like :D It came out fabulous! You did a wonderful job! :clap

Finally getting on here. It was giving me fits earlier :( BD got up and we went to the store. I've started supper and finally getting in here.

I'm dizzy and very woozy today because I've picked back up on my meds. Didn't wanna feel like this during the holidays :rofl So if something doesn't come out straight, please forgive me :lol

Thank you for the compliments, everyone. :manyheart The colors came to me one day when I was on my treadmill...our loft upstairs has a small couch with a tattersall fabric in the same green and off-white and wicker chairs with cushions in a "vine" fabric with the green and some blue. Anyway, back to the border :lol - thank you for your ideas because I'm so bad at making decisions. :blush

Cara, I hope the meds help you feel better and the side effects level out soon. :manyheart

We're having seafood kabobs, rice pilaf and salad for dinner. I've done all the preparation and my sweet husband will grill pretty soon.

Yes they take a while to get the hang of them but once you do then its easy. Im not looking forward to showing my oldest daughter how to make them. She has some to do in the Amish Star. What part are you stuck with.

The color changing. No matter how long the tail the corner comes undone.

I do hope so but I think I'll take a break from the bicolored. And you should look at quilts when they are done A& get ideas for the border there.

Where is the graph for the IC? it looks like something I could do.

Finally! After having dropped the ball for 3 months...the site is updated with Karen's ATW front and center :D Thanks again Karen for letting me put it on the site :hug

Now to talk Mary into her IC chart :devil

Mary, that's lovely! I would put a wide border of the white on first, say a row of hdc, a row of dc, a row of hdc, a row of dc and another row of hdc. That would give it a matted look, like in a picture frame. Then a skinny border of the blue, say a row or two of dc, like a second mat. And finish with a row of hdc, a row of dc, and maybe a row of rhdc or rsc in the blue to finish up. I did something similar with the puppy qhiltghan and it gave it a super nice framing effect.

Rosie and I have several quilts we are thinking of making after Melissa and family go back to Colorado. I have to finish and send out the Stacked Cubes and the last filet piece yet for Christmas. That just leaves the Painted Desert to finish for me. Then there is the Dachshund quiltghan for John's parents and the White and Turquoise Star for me to be started. Plus some scarves and a shawl or two for me. And who knows what else. :devil

The color changing. No matter how long the tail the corner comes undone.

I do hope so but I think I'll take a break from the bicolored. And you should look at quilts when they are done A& get ideas for the border there.

Where is the graph for the IC? it looks like something I could do.

Is this on the first row, just pull it a bit so it doesnt come loose as you go ahead with that colour and maybe just do a knot so that it doesnt come apart and you can then weave it in later on.

Finally! After having dropped the ball for 3 months...the site is updated with Karen's ATW front and center :D Thanks again Karen for letting me put it on the site :hug

Now to talk Mary into her IC chart :devil

WOW Cara - I'm famous now :hug Thanks :manyheart

Mary that is just stunning. Beauitful job! And Zoe is beauitufl too. :manyheart

Good morning! I'm gradually getting caught up on sleep and feeling better each day. The cold is almost completely gone and the knee is doing better, too. I think I'll be mostly staying here at home today and taking it easy. Maybe working on those last two Christmas presents, too. :hook

Cara, your updated site is great! :yay

Hope little Alex has made his entrance to the world by now without too much trouble to Erin.

The filet pieces went over very well. Whew! :whew That's a relief. With my family you never know. It helped a lot that it was one of Grandma's patterns. :)

Hi Ladies. Thanks so much for the nice comments and for the border ideas. Later this afternoon, I'm going to have to make a decision. :lol I just used this website for the pattern, and made it the size I wanted.

Karen ~ You are a square making machine again! 36 more solids are on the list. :hook

Cara ~ I love the way you updated your site - it looks really nice. :yes

One thing led to another this a.m. and I ended up putting away all of our Christmas things. Well, except for my Santas and wrapping paper...but they're upstairs and out of sight. :blush

WOW Cara - I'm famous now :hug Thanks :manyheart

I'm just so very sorry it took me so long :blush I seem to be a day late and dollar short a lot of late :P Thanks for letting me share and for being so very patient :hug

Good morning! I'm gradually getting caught up on sleep and feeling better each day. The cold is almost completely gone and the knee is doing better, too. I think I'll be mostly staying here at home today and taking it easy. Maybe working on those last two Christmas presents, too. :hook

I'm so glad you're feeling better :hug And that the filet went over so well :yay

One thing led to another this a.m. and I ended up putting away all of our Christmas things. Well, except for my Santas and wrapping paper...but they're upstairs and out of sight. :blush

I never even got mine up :blush I tell you I just don't know where my head has been of late :no

I'm feeling pretty good today myself as well :D Of course, I haven't taken the pills yet. I'm so tempted not to but I will. The side effects will pass soon. Now is the time for it because BDs on vacation all week :D

More GT squares today but I think I might start another contest project too. I'm kind getting bored with the GT :P

Beautiful (both blanket and kitty). Why not do a simpe hdc border of the darker green, lighter green, darker green? That would look nice but not too busy and really focus the eyes on the pattern.

Good morning everyone :hi

Erin hope everything went ok and Alex has arrived.

Cara, your updated site is great! :yay

Hope little Alex has made his entrance to the world by now without too much trouble to Erin.

The filet pieces went over very well. Whew! :whew That's a relief. With my family you never know. It helped a lot that it was one of Grandma's patterns. :)

Im glad your feeling better and your knee is heeling ok. Thats great that everyone liked their filet pieces its always hard wondering whether you have made the right thing or not.

I haven't been in here for ages! Mary your ghan is stunning!!!

I hope to work on my Casa this year as I would like to give it as a Christmas gift.

Oh you will love making that one. Do you have any specific colours in mind.

Yes Im thinking of doing the same thing.

I'm just so very sorry it took me so long :blush I seem to be a day late and dollar short a lot of late :P Thanks for letting me share and for being so very patient :hug

I never even got mine up :blush I tell you I just don't know where my head has been of late :no

I'm feeling pretty good today myself as well :D Of course, I haven't taken the pills yet. I'm so tempted not to but I will. The side effects will pass soon. Now is the time for it because BDs on vacation all week :D

More GT squares today but I think I might start another contest project too. I'm kind getting bored with the GT :P

Im glad your feeling ok today and thats great that BD has some time off work. What is next for the contest.

Ok after fighting with the rest of the bicolored grannies I did give up. :( But I say I got a start on the preemie blankets I donate. SOmething good did come out of it. Even designed a preemie hat. So Mary please put me down for total of 50 solids & 12 bi-colors. I forget how you figure out the score.. 2 for the bicolor right? I might just actually put that in my siggy. :lol I would have had this done last night but I felt like I was going to die. I have no idea what I ate but it obviously did not go well.

3145581616_a1f5a73708_m.jpg

Is this on the first row, just pull it a bit so it doesnt come loose as you go ahead with that colour and maybe just do a knot so that it doesnt come apart and you can then weave it in later on.

It's the second row. Maybe it's just the hook. I hate G hooks. I have no idea why I have a bazillion of them. :irk

Archived