Does everyone like the Line markers they have in stores

Contrasting yarn line marker vs. Store bought line marker  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Contrasting yarn line marker vs. Store bought line marker

• Yarn
    • ring
    • plastic hook thing

I bought a package of stitch markers but have still not used them. I could have today, but I used the contrasting yarn instead. Most of the time I don't mark, I just count carefully. But if I have to leave a project or the counting is too long, I will use the thread. I need to put th emarkers out by the chair where I crochet. If they aren't convenient I just go with the yarn.

hi and welcome to the Ville:hook

I love the locking stitch markers made by Clover. Knitpicks also has a version of these. Sometimes I use a piece of yarn. it's just a little quicker to grab a marker than to tie in a yarn piece.

I swear by those little markers that look like tiny plastic safety pins. When you are constructing crocheted clothing, good markers are essential. Tying yarn around the marked stitches can become very tedious.! :P

Welcome to the ville!

It depends what I'm doing. If I'm marking rounds, then a bit of contrasting string "woven" back and forth after each round's last stitch works best for me. (It looks like a running stitch and pulls right out). If I'm marking for other purposes, then my stitch markers work better (handmade and those safety pin ones Roli mentioned) :)

When I started crocheting, I used yarn. But then I decided to try stitch markers. I won't go back. The locking markers are easier for me and feel more secure. I bought the clover ones from the store. I wanted more for travel, but couldn't believe how much they charge for little plastic safety pins. So I went on to ebay and ended up getting 100 for just a little more than 1 pack costs at the store. No I didn't need 100, but I needed 2 packs, so this was a lot cheaper.

clover locking makrers http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat2874&PRODID=prd12012 besides Joann, I think Hobby Lobby carries them also.

Knitpicks version http://www.knitpicks.com/accessories/Locking_Stitch_Markers__D80592.html

the pointy part is a bit thicker than the Clover version, so harder to get into a small stitch. but the colors are more neutral. sometimes I get tired of seeing the bright Clover markers against my pretty yarn:lol

I use them both for different things. If I want to make sure I'm counting correctly for a very large piece, I'll use strands of contrasting thread.

If it's just to make a stitch or a corner, then it's Clover.

I swear by those little markers that look like tiny plastic safety pins. When you are constructing crocheted clothing, good markers are essential. Tying yarn around the marked stitches can become very tedious.! :P

love these! I use both the big ones and the smaller ones, depending on my project!

I use coil-less safety pins for stitch markers (they are sold as a quilting accessory). I un bend some of them and slide alphabet beads on them to mark joins, or to remember which hook I was using.

I use the coil-less safety pins, with alphabet beads, to record what hook size for the project.

If I need lots of markers, like doing a long foundation chain, I'll use bobby pins. For keeping track of how many rows/rounds in a project, I use Lion Brand markers, as they are easy to move around.

If I need to permanantly mark a location, I'll use the Clover ones, as they don't accidentally come out.

I've never had much success using contrasting yarns.

I voted for yarn. I am making my first pair of socks and used yarn to mark stitches in the toe. By the time I got to the heels, my friend had bought some markers and gave me half so I used the markers for the heel. Well, when I started the 2nd sock, I tried to use the markers, but I think they were too thick for the sock yarn and the little chain 10 I started with so went back to the yarn. I guess it really all depends on the project though.

I am a fan of the little plastic markers also. They are great to use when working in rounds, piecing stuff together and when you have to put a project down for a while

I voted for yarn. I am making my first pair of socks and used yarn to mark stitches in the toe. By the time I got to the heels, my friend had bought some markers and gave me half so I used the markers for the heel. Well, when I started the 2nd sock, I tried to use the markers, but I think they were too thick for the sock yarn and the little chain 10 I started with so went back to the yarn. I guess it really all depends on the project though.

one thing i've noticed is that the Clover markers are very pointy and slender so i've found they will go into just about any size stitch. the knitpicks one are more blunt and harder to get into a tight space. and i ordered some stitchdots http://www.paradisefibers.net/Stitch-Dot-p/489288.htm but they really have a large end ,which i'm sure helps them stay in place, but makes it hard to get them into the stitch.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived