Proof that you dont have to be old to Crochet :)

I found a thread in the getting to know you that asks how old we all are. I was really suprised upon opening this thread at the ages of people on Crochetville. I take some flack from my offspring and family for taking up a 'granny' hobby at the tender age of 44. How wrong they are!

I took a sample of the first 100 answers. The youngest was just 15 and the oldest in my sampling was 62. The average age of the sampled 100 people was only 34!!

With 36 of the people being sampled being in their 20's and another 36 of you being in your 30's. I was really pleasantly suprised to find that crocheting isnt a 'granny's' craft, but is actually a young persons game. :yay

I know that it is not really a true sample of crocheters in general as many don't use a computer. It is just a quick overview of Crochetville members but an eye opened to me all the same.

Maybe its the term 'granny' squares that we need to change to show our craft in better light :lol Any suggestions of what they should be called instead?

Oh I hear that.. I get Razzed all the time by my husband that I'm a "Granny" beacuse I'll sit in my Old Rocking chair that is part wood part wicker. and I'll crochet and Rock.

but he also is amazed at what i turn out and thinks i'm very creative and "good" and just can't see why I dont sell my masterpices. well that is a great idea but I always fall in love with all my work lol and end up keeping it for myself. (exzample my queen size afghan that lays on my bed)..

but I am only 33. been crochet'in since i was 20. soon after learning iwas pregnant with our first. but always wanted to learn from a young age just didnt have anyone to teach me.

I taught myself 10 years ago at the age of 27 but put my hook down for a few here and there so I have lots to learn still like yesterday I saw an amazing video and I'm pretty sure she is a 'Viller too! I have never seen this before how to start your project you got to check it out!! I subscribe to her you tube site there are tonnes of great videos!!!

Hey there, youngsters:lol Let's not go too far off the deep end with the stereotype that being "old" is a bad thing, and that any craft that is done by "grannies" is not worth doing. We are part of a long line of fiber artisans that includes our grandmothers, great-grandmothers, and foremothers many generations back. Someday, God willing, even the youngest of us will be old people. As far as I'm concerned, the granny square has historical significance and to attempt to change the name would be a travesty.

Hey there, youngsters:lol Let's not go too far off the deep end with the stereotype that being "old" is a bad thing, and that any craft that is done by "grannies" is not worth doing. We are part of a long line of fiber artisans that includes our grandmothers, great-grandmothers, and foremothers many generations back. Someday, God willing, even the youngest of us will be old people. As far as I'm concerned, the granny square has historical significance and to attempt to change the name would be a travesty.

:clap:clap Couldn't agree more.

I am proud to be a 39 (for a little while longer) year old who has been crocheting off and on since age 18. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it no matter what the age. I have gotten a few comments about it being soething a mature person would do, but that usually stops when those same people look at examples of my work.

I am a 34 year old mother of 3. I have been crocheting since I was about 8. My oldest daughter is now 14 and she has been crocheting since she was 10. I also have 6 year old twins one knits and one crochets. It is never to early to learn!!!

:cheerRemember, the Grannies who crochet now were not Grannies when they learned to crochet.

I was only 7 years old when my Granny taught me and even though it had been around, as a craft, for many years before, no-one thought about calling it a Granny thing to do.:grandma

Of course, you can say it is a Granny thing for me now because I am a Granny to 7.:grandma

:lolIs that enough Grannies in one post?:lol

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Well.. I'm 24. I taught myself either during my senior year or just out of high school 2002-2004. I have several friends who crochet as well.

It's in my blood to be crafty though. My grandmother knit.. she died before I was old enough for her to teach me unfortunately. But.. my mom taught me how to sew when I was 7 and she still has the quilt that I made. And now I might be teaching her to crochet sometime soon.

I would definitely say crochet is not a "granny" activity.. although a lot of people out there might think so. I consider it a crafty people thing! =)

I think that the real thing to take away from this is the fact that neither crocheting or knitting is a "dying art." There are plenty of young people to take up the hook (or needles) and people are doing it. I fall right in the middle of the range, being nearly 30 (slightly more than a month from now is the big day), but I learned to knit when I was 10 and I learned to crochet when I was 12. What is really great to hear is how many members on the 'ville have been teaching their children to knit and crochet. That helps assure that the craft will live on for future generations to come, continuing a proud tradition from older generations (all my great-grandmothers knitted or crocheted, my grandmother on my mom's side knitted and my mom also knits).

On the subject of granny squares...those are an icon of crochet. I agree with one of the other posters, changing the name would be a travesty.

HI All!

I am 33 and love to crochet! I learned when I was 12, my grandma taught me the basics, then didn't get truly hooked until I met my dearest mother in-law, she is amazing! She inspired me to crochet and learn more, now days that is one of our favorite things to do together. When I say that I crochet, I have heard comments such as, your too young, my grandma used to do that! But I never take it to heart, it's something that I enjoy doing, it has no age.

I taught myself when I was around 26 or 27 because I felt someone in the family should learn how since only my grandmother did it.... and did it like a wizard, I might add... I didn't want her to teach me because I wanted to surprise her and because I heard it was nightmarish when she tried to teach my aunt when my aunt was young. And boy was she surprised. Got tears in her eyes and everything. I'll always remember the day I showed her something I'd been working on. It was so special. I stopped for about a year or so after she died, it was just too sad, but now having a friend getting ready to have a baby inspired me to pick it back up. I'm 31 and crocheting and reading are my top two favorite hobbies. I love it so much.

Great to see such a diverse age. My own 18 year old daughter has no interest in craft of any form. My sons 20 year old gf on the otherhand is studying Textiles at Manchester Uni and she cant wait to see what I have made when she comes home. I have promised to teach her how to crocet during her Easter Break. She is being taught to knit at the moment its actually one of her lessons at Uni can you imagine that?

I learned how to crochet when I was probably 7 or 8 years old. I didn't really get serious about it until I was 19... I'm 21 now and don't plan on quitting any time soon.

I learned how to crochet when I was probably 7 or 8 years old. I didn't really get serious about it until I was 19... I'm 21 now and don't plan on quitting any time soon.

I kinda have the same story. My grandma taught me how to crochet when I was 5 years old. I was a Luke warm crocheter till I was 14 then I started designing and really putting a big artistic spin on my crochet. I'm 22 now and I am sooooo big into crochet. I love it!! I KNOW I'll never stop.

Julee

Great to see such a diverse age. My own 18 year old daughter has no interest in craft of any form. My sons 20 year old gf on the otherhand is studying Textiles at Manchester Uni and she cant wait to see what I have made when she comes home. I have promised to teach her how to crocet during her Easter Break. She is being taught to knit at the moment its actually one of her lessons at Uni can you imagine that?

That's AWESOME!!! It's so good to know that our art is alive and well and even being taught in educational institutions!

Archived