Do really I need a Diploma in Crocheting?

I came a UK website today that offers Diploma's in crocheting.

I had a little look to see what its about. Then I sat back and wondered what I would do with a Diploma in Crocheting? It is a distance learning course, so other than videos, there is no one actually there to show me how to do it. It is from books etc.

I have books. I have also watched many tutorials on Youtube when I want to figure something out. Thats how I learnt to make and join granny squares :)

I have all my new found friends on Crochetville to assist when I have a question. So what I ask myself would I get out of it?

A piece of paper that says I can crochet to give to a prospective employer. I think not lol

What do you think? Would you like a Diploma in Crocheting? Is it something you would consider?

PS If there is anyone here affiliated with this Diploma or already doing it I apologise in advance. I just wanted to know what other people think!

I guess it is a way to learn, similar to learning a new technique by taking a class on the 'ville.

The "diploma" itself would not be useful, but learning is always useful.

ETA: I just looked at the fees! YIKES!!!! I could take lots of classes here at the ville for just the fee for section one!

Not to mention postage for sending finished items.... definitely not something I can or would want to spend that kind of money on.

What do you think? Would you like a Diploma in Crocheting? Is it something you would consider?

In short, no.

It would certainly be very interesting, I'm sure, and I hope you'd learn a lot - but if you want a professional qualification (to maybe use if you were applying for a job teaching a crafts course or working at a LYS), then I'm not sure this is the one. What is this company? What is it affliated to? I mean, I could offer an 'international crochet diploma' from my blog, too, so I'd prefer if the place that offered such a diploma had connections to a larger crafts council or guild. If you ARE looking for a diploma, I'd check out the American Handicrafts/Yarn Guild (the name just escapes me right now) or check out if there's something similar to the London Chamber of Commerce and Industry for the crafts industry... And look at the classes on Crochetville if you just want to expand your knowledge.

I'm all for knowledge and some of the things mentioned sound quite interesting, but for the fees one would have to pay the diploma should at least gold plated.

Just imagine the amount of wool that could be bought for that money.

American Handicrafts/Yarn Guild (the name just escapes me right now)

Close - it's Craft Guild of America (CGOA). Amy S. is the treasurer of this guild. You can 'just' join (and you get a subscription to Crochet! mag & other perks) without going for the certification.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=108405

that diploma is offered by Pauline Turner, who has written several books and has taught classes at the CGOA conferences. on the info page she does say something about the London craft guild using her course as a basis for theirs; I guess she must have consulted on that. I never heard of the London guilds before, it's very interesting; sounds like something with a long and noble history.

I can see where taking a course that involves actually sending in samples and having them evaluated by an acknowledged master, and affirming that you are doing everything to a high standard, would be good if you wanted to teach in a very formal way, or would just be a neat goal for some people--like climbing a mountain or something:lol

I doubt if I will ever do any kind of course. I feel very confident about my crocheting and one reason I love it is that I can do whatever i want however I want. Figuring out on the fly how to make it look and feel the way I want---or discovering new things the particular yarn wants to do---are what I love about crocheting. Having someone tell me I'm doing it wrong when i feel it's right for me is not something I want to pay money for :lol or spend my time doing.

If getting a diploma in crocheting could make me 100K a year, I'd probably do it.

But I'm thinking it won't make me that much, so I'll just stick to crocheting for fun and for charity.

that diploma is offered by Pauline Turner, who has written several books and has taught classes at the CGOA conferences. on the info page she does say something about the London craft guild using her course as a basis for theirs; I guess she must have consulted on that. I never heard of the London guilds before, it's very interesting; sounds like something with a long and noble history.

I've heard of the London Guilds - maybe they offer something? The thing is, if you want something like this for professional purposes, I think it would be best if there was an association or guild or society behind it, especially one that was recognised internationally by similar bodies. If it's simply a private person offering a diploma from a private school (which might be the case here, I can't really tell from the website), it mightn't have as much weight.

For personal purposes - to learn something new or improve your skills - I'm sure it would be a very interesting experience. The website looks very nice and some of her work looks lovely.

I've heard of the London Guilds - maybe they offer something? The thing is, if you want something like this for professional purposes, I think it would be best if there was an association or guild or society behind it, especially one that was recognised internationally by similar bodies. If it's simply a private person offering a diploma from a private school (which might be the case here, I can't really tell from the website), it mightn't have as much weight.

For personal purposes - to learn something new or improve your skills - I'm sure it would be a very interesting experience. The website looks very nice and some of her work looks lovely.

Oh, I thought maybe the London guilds she mentioned was the same thing you mentioned in your post. rereading, i see you said the London Chamber of Commerce & Industry. so much for my reading comprehension:blush :lol

I guess I will just say to each his own. Doesn't sound like something I would do. If my crocheting becomes work instead of enjoyment, then I will give it up.

I think if I were a professional crochet designer and selling books or patterns, this crochet diploma would be helpful. A few members here have become Master crocheters, I think that is similar to the diploma you speak of. It would make a person more credible if this was their career. For the rest of us, it probably wouldn't matter much. If I had a lot of extra time an money I would be interested. There is probably a course on crochet history that would be really interesting.

Its good to see that everybody else had the same reaction as me to this diploma. I think crocheting is a personal thing, we all do it differently in our own little way. I think too much schooling of an art form stunts creativity :)

That's a lot of money for a piece of paper. I guess if I had a lot of money to throw around I'd do it just for the fun and enjoyment. I mean it would look good hanging with my Best of Show Ribbons. But since I'm not independently wealthy, I'm like most of the gals, I'll spend my money on yarn and patterns.

• 1 month later...

You can also take the Crochet Guild of America masters course that just started the beginning of May 2010.

It is called Master of Advanced Crochet Stitches and Techniques.

You can read about it here:

http://www.crochet.org/pdfs/cgoa_catalog.pdf

And sign up for it by scrolling down to the bottom of this page:

https://www.e-offinger.net/cgoadata/scriptcontent/IndexJoin.cfm

The Crochet Guild of America has just announced the newly revised version of our Master series, revised by none other than Jean Leinhauser! So you KNOW it's going to be good!!

Pauline Turner offers the International Diploma in Crochet. For those who don't know her, she is a very, very well-respected crocheter! Her most recent book was published last year called Finishing Techniques for Crochet: Give Your Crochet that Professional Look.

In fact, two world-reknowned freeformers, Sylvia Cosh and James Walters, met at the first of a series of crochet summer schools taught by Pauline Turner in Morecambe, Lancashire, England. So there's no need to worry about the qualifications of those teaching the international diploma courses. It's definitely a reputable organization.

The question about whether it's necessary to spend the money to take the course and earn the diploma is completely up to each individual. It may fit the needs of some people, and it might not fit the needs of others. If anybody does decide to take the course, I hope you'll let us know how it works out!

Oh, I forgot to say I had the honor to meet Pauline Turner in person at the Chain Link conference two years ago in Manchester, NH. She's a fascinating woman with lots of funny stories to share! If you ever get the chance to meet her and spend time with her, do so! You won't regret it. :)

I was very tempted by this a few years back but I didn't have the money to spend. I have since learned a lot more and now, although I could probably afford it, I don't think what I would learn in addition to what I already know would justify the expence.

Pauline Turners books are great! I have one or two. But Sylvia Cosh and James Walters are my crochet heros and I have all of theirs!

Archived