Kitten Rant

My daughter's kittens will not stay away from my Brittany hooks. I just found my 4.5 mm under my couch with no hook left :angry

They have eaten my whole set of bamboo hooks :no. Needless to say I am not a happy camper. I am just recently back to work and can't afford to buy new ones. I love my wooden hooks....sigh.

Rant over.....thank you for listening.

I always blamed the dogs, but I've come to realize kittens and cats are worse chewers than the puppies ever were. They also LOVE electrical cords and have really done some damage to the computer wires. Apparently they are attracted to the sound of the electricity passing through the wires because their hearing is so much better than ours.

Try putting on some nice Vanilla Fields hand cream and using your hooks. I have no idea why something that smells so good to us smells so bad to them, but Vanilla Fields will also keep puppies and kittens from mouthing your hands. They get the funniest, most offended look when they get a whiff!

have you tried putting like some hotsauce/red peppery stuff on them??(the chewed up 1's that is) it wont hurt them, and it may persuade them to leave future hooks alone due to the hot mouth they get.

Sandy

have you tried putting like some hotsauce/red peppery stuff on them??(the chewed up 1's that is) it wont hurt them, and it may persuade them to leave future hooks alone due to the hot mouth they get.

Sandy

our dog love that more favor on it but again the dog loved chili and hot peppers

kind of dog mix breed of big dogs and i mean big dog loved kids to death she would watch over the boyz and herd them back to yard great dog but her taste was something lol

I received my new Jimbo hook yesterday and decided to start a project with it. I couldn't crochet for the dog trying to take the hook away from me. It's put up in a safe place so he can't reach it now. I can't figure out what his facination was with my hook.

the sweat from your hands gets on the wood. they are atracted to the salt. my wooden hooks come from twinbirchproducts.com I found out they have free lifetime replacement when my puppy (now 10yrs old) chewed one.

our dog love that more favor on it but again the dog loved chili and hot peppers

kind of dog mix breed of big dogs and i mean big dog loved kids to death she would watch over the boyz and herd them back to yard great dog but her taste was something lol

true, when i was quite young, my aunt got me some "STOP BITE" to help me stop biting my nails. yucky stuff. but i've since met kids who actually liked the taste. but is worth a try in case your cat doesnt like it.

Sandy

There are things to deter chewing- bitter apple spray is sold in most pet stores. I cannot say what it might do to your hooks, though. Cats are supposedly turned off by the smell of citrus- perhaps storing them in a bag with one of those lemon car fresheners might do the trick.

Or bop them on the nose lightly with the hook when they go for it. This is usually a good deterrent to cats as they are easily offended about their nose- as long as you don't have one of those vengeful cats.

I got very tickled when I chose a common picture of some Boye Hooks as a wallpaper. I have seen it used on here as an avatar. If you blow that picture up, you can clearly see kitty teeth marks on one of the hooks. :P

Hay Tracie!!! Long time eh? Cats eating your hooks? Dogs eat'em too.

Makes me wonder if I should stop using fish oil as a finish... heh.. just kidding. But animals do seem to be attracted to wood hooks and I'd guess its because they do have a bit of linseed oil scent. Linseed oil is a basic component of several finishes. But that's just a guess. I've had several hooks and a Nostepenne that were treated as dog chewies. Heartbreaking.

My daughter's kittens will not stay away from my Brittany hooks. I just found my 4.5 mm under my couch with no hook left :angry

They have eaten my whole set of bamboo hooks :no. Needless to say I am not a happy camper. I am just recently back to work and can't afford to buy new ones. I love my wooden hooks....sigh.

Rant over.....thank you for listening.

Sorry about your bamboo hooks, but . . .

it's time to go back to aluminum. :lol

I'm afraid to say that the only way to keep your hooks safe, is to keep them away from the animals. Putting 'stuff' on the wood hooks may ultimately damage them, instead of preventing damage.

:(I feel your "pain"! My Mom likes to say that I was raised in a zoo because of the menagerie of animals (both domesticated and wild) we had all the time. So I am very familiar with naughty pets, lol. The best thing I can recommend is patience, teaching and a lot of hiding your stuff. Good luck!!

I use a metal can filled with rocks or pebbles as a deterrent. It's so loud when you shake it that my two kitties run for their lives!

It's a pretty can that held bath salts at one time so it actually doesn't look too strange sitting on my end table.

I broke them from getting on the dining room table this way. :D

Hay Tracie!!! Long time eh? Cats eating your hooks? Dogs eat'em too.

Makes me wonder if I should stop using fish oil as a finish... heh.. just kidding. But animals do seem to be attracted to wood hooks and I'd guess its because they do have a bit of linseed oil scent. Linseed oil is a basic component of several finishes. But that's just a guess. I've had several hooks and a Nostepenne that were treated as dog chewies. Heartbreaking.

That is a heartbreaking story!:(

I have 2 Jimbo Hooks and I never EVER leave them out! But that's not only for the animals, it's for the kids too!:lol I would die if they got ruined. Seriously they are my favorite ones to use. I got a couple of bamboo hooks once and I don't like them. I love the way your hooks fit in my hand.:manyheart

Archived