Did anyone watch the Olympic's Opening Ceremony last night?

The only part I saw was the part where it looked like there were whales swimming across the "ocean" that was on the floor. THAT was amazing! I totally missed the whole rest of the program.

I watched last night. was pretty cool, ended up falling asleep (hook in hand, I do that alot) b4 the torch was lit. I think the last thing I remember was Sarah McClachlin (yeah i know I spelled it wrong I always do). Love the effects they did with the floor..

GO CANADA!!!!!! SECOND LARGEST TEAM AT THE OLYMPICS!!!! (You U.S. just HAD to have 2 more athletes didn't you lol.)

I DVR'd the opening ceremony, so that I could wiz thru the commercials. It was really an interesting opening ceremony. I saw the Olympic flag come in and saw the runners with the tourch. They were standing there with the tourches, because there was a problem with some equipment. Anyway, I missed the lighting of the tourch, because it went past time.

How was the lighting of the tourch?

I did not notice the hats, except for the American and the Canadians.:hook

Lighting of the torch was beautiful. There was a little problem with one of the supports to the caldron. Once that was lite, Wayne Gretzy took the torch out side and lite another one.

I watched it. I didn't see the crochet hats you referenced in your post though. The lighting of the torch was neat. If the announcers hadn't said anything I never would have known there were supposed to be 4 supports though. I kept hoping Celine Dion would come on stage and sing! That's what I was waiting for. I imagine it would have cost too much to have her brought in, but they certainly had plenty of celebs on hand. I enjoyed it, though it was a bit slow in parts.

The Swede's hats caught my attention as well, Erica, with my first thoughts being that they looked crocheted... a neat change of pace from the tight knits and the visored caps that the other athletes wore. Those that missed them can check here to see Sweden's team hats.

The opening ceremonies were wonderful. The illusions that they were able to create using all those projection cameras was wild at times. Kudos to Canada! -Very cool.

My first though when I saw the Swedish Team hats was those are crocheted. I liked them. Loved the way the colors looked together. Can't wait to see the picture when someone on the ville creates one.

Didn't even know the Olympics started last night. Since they changed the way the Olympic are done ( use to be the Olympic games , both summer and winter, were held in the same year so the Olympics only happened every 4 years, not a partial set of games every 2 years) it seems like the hype for them never stops...reminds me of Presidential elections, no sooner over than talk of the next one begins. The only thing more annoying is basketball..does that season ever end?

I LOVE watching the Olympics....but....I watched from 9 - 11:30....and was bored out of my skull for the most part.

Really? I thought it was one of the best opening ceremonies I've seen for the winter olympics. :)

The only thing more annoying is basketball..does that season ever end?

Depends on how good your team is -- when they are the NBA Champions, it ends in June! ;)

The Swedish hats were definitely crocheted -- and I am going to try to duplicate them. If I do manage it, I will post a pic. I rewound frame-by-frame to get a count of the number of rows for each color! :lol

Yes, I watched and unfortunately I also fell asleep in my chair with hook in hand before they lit the torch! Wish I had thought to DVR it like Mary Jo!

And I love the Swede's hat- Can't wait to see what you come up with TaleWeaverLA!

Yes, I watched and unfortunately I also fell asleep in my chair with hook in hand before they lit the torch! Wish I had thought to DVR it like Mary Jo!

And I love the Swede's hat- Can't wait to see what you come up with TaleWeaverLA!

well I'm glad to see i'm not the only one that is prone to that. lol my b/f is always chuckling at me when i do. just last week I was all comfy and fell asleep with my hands still elevated in the middle of a dc , when he coughed I jumped out of my skin and he was pretty much on the floor by then. At that point I figured it was time to put it away b4 I rolled onto the hook and got it stuck anywhere un-to-pleasant. :lol:hook

The hat isn't Swedish unfortunately. All the clothes are from the Chinese company Li-Ning.

Hopefully they're made by adults and not children, but you never know.

Here is the Swedish site about the clothes, maybe Google Translate can make it understandable.

The hat isn't Swedish unfortunately. All the clothes are from the Chinese company Li-Ning.

Hopefully they're made by adults and not children, but you never know.

Here is the Swedish site about the clothes, maybe Google Translate can make it understandable.

I do worry about crochet sweatshops -- especially when Target sells a dc tote bag for less than what it would cost to purchase the raffia here. Based on the website, Li-Ning is a former Olympic athlete himself, who now supplies Olympic teams worldwide.

Thanks for finding the website. The Google translator did a good enough job that I didn't have to ask my Swedish neighbor to translate.

Part of the page explained to Swedes why the clothing is appropriate for Vancouver, because these "costumes" were based on "THE CONCEPT OF LAYERING" -- somehow I think the Swedes must know about that (I'll ask my neighbor!).

But the funniest part, though, was the assurance that the Olympic athletes and officials would be FULLY equipped with this gear: "The Olympic equipment to Vancouver includes over 60 articles.

The only garments that actives and leaders themselves must have with them is underwear." :lol

My 10 year old daughter and I sat down prepared to watch the whole thing from start to finish. We were off to a great start then I "knocked off" for most of the parade of athletes. She knocked me back awake then I turned to look over a few minutes later and she was asleep! I woke her back up, and so it went. We agreed to keep poking each other if we noticed the other had fallen asleep. :lol I missed seeing the crocheted hats....

Watching as a "big city Torontonian", it was an interesting experience. Couldn't say I related to the aboriginal stuff, have never seen rolling fields of grain in the mid-west, and was never a fan of "East Coast" music myself. Although the far north seems interesting, I've never been there either so it was quite a learning experience, overall. Strange that seeing as I'm Canadian, I couldn't really relate to their snapshot of "Canadian Life"....:eek

I was glad to see Rick Hansen bring in the torch at the end. :yay I say they should have had Wayne Gretzky run with the torch to the waterfront instead of getting a ride. Would have kept me awake to see if he could actually do it. :P

DH and I watched all of the Opening Ceremonies and was amazed!!! It was magnificient!! Even when the lighting of the flame didn't work out it was unique and it will be remembered always for that.

We have enjoyed watching as many of the events as we could...The Winter Olympics are our favorite to watch.

I loved the opening ceremony! My favorite hat was, unfortunately, the American hat which is knitted, wool (I'm allergic) and sells for $75 online. Oh, well.

weird my bro is allergic to wool too. He's the only other person I've ever heard of like that. It;s kind of funny tho (just cus he's my brother and we like to tease each other) as soon as he comes in contact with it he swells up like a balloon and turns red.

I believe a knitting chart has been posted somewhere online for the American Reindeer hat.

I have the Swedish hat worked out (could have had it done yesterday if i hadn't second guessed myself and frogged 3x) and will post a photo with directions Tuesday night. It is very easy with just a little trick. happy viewing, meg

Archived