The ~63~ Club

JulieKay

Ok gang ---

I'm sure you've all heard of the BLUES ... when you are down in the dumps... sad....

Well, in honor of the holiday ,to celebrate St Patricks Day and to try another tactic to keep this group alive and kicking, TODAY,we are in the GREENS .

Each post you make must have the word GREEN someplace in the post . You must also use GREEN print all day today .

SO ...make plans accordingly .

I do not like GREEN eggs and ham .

And even if GREEN is my favorite color, dimwit that I am ,

I did not remember to WEAR GREEN today ,my 63 clan .

YOUR TURN .:yes:yes:yes:yes:yes:yes:yes:yes:yes:yes:yes:yes

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Morning and Happy St. Patricks Day!!

I am not wearing green, but I do have my St. Pattys Day jammies on, with elmo, rainbows, and 4 leaf green clovers. :yes I have some stuff to do today and then I am devoting the rest of it to working on the green peapod, which is over half done. :yes The corned beef is in the crockpot and the cabbage, potatoes, and carrots will follow later. I will probably make green pudding or something festive for the kids snack. :yes

Have a lovely, GREEN day!! :clover

Judy~I hope you get your power back soon. Do you have some sort of heat source? The rain makes it sooo chilly. Hang in there. :manyheart

Well, we have a fireplace...but the duraflame log we used last night was good for nothing...so it's cuddling - with each other or Sparkie - Susie isn't a cuddler)

both hands hurt alot...and it's not from crocheting, because even my pinkies hurt - and I don;t use them for hooking. When I get home I'll run them under some warm water again and then rub some lotion on them, I'm in the library right now....not sure if by tonight or tomorrow we'll get power back. 250,000 people in the state...trucks and crew cam from Ohio, Penn., etc to help, but they started with people in the largest areas affected. We "only" have about 50 houses out.

Thanks for stopping in Jude !

we're all hanging in here, but sure do miss you .

We had a wonderful good lot of squares made. We were actually tied until we got your total ,so our group won by your 7 squares .

Looks like the other team better put down the carrots and pick up the Twinkies .

( Just joking, gang , you all did great, and most of you did better than me ! )

Anyhow, hoping things will get shaped up over there soon Jude so you will have light, warmth and a computer again .

Which one do you miss the most ?

My hands are telling me the heat is most important...and my

body reinforces that in the mornings when its just bout 50 in the house, TG the hot water works! I REALLY miss the computer....told Phil they can keep the TV, just give me my computer, CU gals tomorrow - if not sooner,

Hey Tab

Another corned beef and cabbage maker . Can you believe I've never even tried it before ? Don't plan on it either. i'm quite and odd eater, and won't try certain foods, even though they are probably really good .

We don't eat anything any different today than ever. Porch chops tonite .

Normal old hillbilly food .

Well, the grass is getting GREENER ,so it must mean spring is on the way . I am SO glad .

Jude- if you have any old gloves, cut the tips off the fingers and wear them around the house. They might help keep your hands warm and you could possibly still crochet with them on. I'm not sure, I never tried it, but it's a thought .

I sure hope they get that mess sorted out over there. That is an awful LONG time to go without electric voluntarily . If you go camping on PURPOSE ,then it's one thing, but to have this now, when it's still so nippy out ,NOT good . Glad it wasn't in even colder weather ,like middle of the winter cold .

Hello everyone. I am wearing green today, but would you believe I forgot it was St Patricks Day? And we were just talking abut it yesterday at work.

I'm so glad you didn;t tell us to make a green square!

Good to hear from you Judy! Hope that power is back tomorrow!

I was just going to whine and feel sorry for myself because I still don't have my computer at home fixed until I saw that Judy still has no power. So I guess in the grand scheme of things, I'm doing ok.

Last night I made a few little crochet shamrocks for people who showed up to work with no green. I have been working very late, so there was no time to start a new block. My last one is stuck in limbo until I can get a photo of it posted here for some help.

Sounds like a lot of people in thus forum need a GREAT day, so here's hoping....!;)

Cindy

I am green with envy that you remembered to wear green and I didn't, with green being my favorite color and all. I have a green car, and a few green shirts, but wouldnt you know I am wearing blue stuff today?

I never pay much attention to what I wear or how I look.

Got Cam off to school this morning --he asked if he could come stay here Saturday and I said as far as I know unless his mom had other plans .He asked is pap was still sick ( he had a touch of stomach flu on the weeked, but not real bad) .

I told Cam that pap was green around the gills on the weekend . He sure got a laugh out of that. He likes my old lady expressions .

Wish I woulda grown up in a nearby town where their school colors were green and white. Ours were red and black .

Ok, all GREENED out for now -- have the grandsons had fun in the woods today ?:)

AFTERNOON EVERYONE, I have been busy today with my grandbaby. Happy St. Paddy day. I am celebrating this GREEN day with the traditional cornbeef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots which is all cooking now and hopefully will be done by dinner time. I have not worked on any squares instead I have been knitting and trying hard to have my new grandbaby's blanket finished for my daughter's baby shower in May. When you are a new knitter it really take time to get things completed. I do perfer crocheting to knitting for if you make a mistake in knitting it is extremely hard to correct.

I do miss crocheting my squares and probably will start crocheting one this evening. I have to go to the laundry tomorrow to wash comforters and I want to take a crochet square with me to work on.

Julie I have received your card yesterday and it is really nice receiving something. I am extremely busy, I never told the group but my husband is completely paralized due to an automobile accident 8 years ago, so everything depend on me and my grown son help out where he can. I have learn how to be happy again with my life even though now I walk alone. :manyheart

Jules....I keep forgetting to thank you for the cards!! They're sweet...and keepers;)

We like corned beef and cabbage - had it last week....good thing I wasn't planning it for today:lol

I did run to the store and get the ingredients for red clam sauce. We ate it already - it was yummy!

Oh...Jules...I have some fingerless gloves Tracy knitted for me...I was wearing those in the house! You actually can work with them if they're tugged down enough. They felt good. That was a smart thought!

Phil and I both hurt....but my hands are pretty bad... time to slather them with cream and warm them up with a massage.

Cheeria, wow, what made you decide to talk about your husband today? I hope you're not having a particulalry difficult day, but if you are, please accept an on-line hug! :hug I can only guess how some days may be harder than others to deal with and how nice something like a simple card can be on those days.

And to JulieKay, I will look and see what the square number is and describe the problem. (I do know that I have book 1.)

Hmm, sorry, not sure how to work green into this post.

Cindy- Glad you had a fun day with your grandsons !!!

Cheeria- I'm so very sorry about your husband's accident. You must be a very devoted wife to stay with him throughout this time. Some wives wouldn't, so it shows what a good person you are. You may be alone there, but you have friends HERE .

Please don't forget that . :hug

Jude- sure is good to have you back ,and I bet you will never again flip on a light switch without remembering these past few days. It must have seemed like a year .

Use a heating pad on your lap to lay your hands on the next few evenings to loosen them up again .

Denise-- I think you DID fit green into your post --in the last sentence !!

So did I ~

Good idea, Cindy-- that may give you the push you need to continue -- if you see how far done you are, it'll look pretty good to you like you have a lot accomplished, then it'll give you the drive you need to make more squares .

Just want to say good nite, I'm in my PJ, have all my square books around me now I'm ready to find some squares to work on. It was a nice kind of warm day today. Have a good crocheting evening. :hug

I want to show all of you the afghan I finished up, while your still awake. :lol

Managed to put it in the washer before I left this morning , so a quick trip through the dryer just now as I'm having my after-work snack, gave me the ability to snap a quick photo. :photo Ran outside to try and find sunlight. Turns out I'm all shaded ...but next door , next to the vegetable garden gave me hope. Between the wind :oopsand the weeds this is a bit wonkey..but you can see all my fun colors.

post-3434-13589751326_thumb.jpg

I was determined:hyper to get a picture.

It's a free Lion Brand pattern Patchwork Squares Throw ( requires one time registration for patterns ) with some modifications.

Julie, :mail

Thanks again for the card. I love it. :heart

Green.. check my avatar, that should do for now. No idea how to get green in here.

Gotta run out to the garden :gardenwhile we sill have light and no rain.. later gators

Wow, what an amazing afghan!! Everyone is going to be so impressed in the morning. For now, it's just me still awake I guess! I am impressed enough for about 5 people though if that helps!

Ok helpers, I did block #25 in book one. It is essentially a shell block (it is already longer than my first block, but I promised to to worry about that yet). The problem is, I am done with all of the steps and I am back to the crazy "make 25 sc stitches" part on page 5. But, if I do that along the top, I will end up with a shell shaped block. How am I going to smooth that out so the block is square (ish)? I thought of putting some hdc or dc in the "lower" parts of the shell, but I don't really know how I will space those so that the final row of ecru will look even. Does this make any sense?:think I am really sorry to be such a pain. :(

Hi Denise,:hi

Yes, it seems the early birds get to sleep early too. :night

Awhile ago I noticed you were feeling frustrated by lack of squares. Don't. :hug

A few people here remember when I was new too, and it took days for me to figure out a square. It comes with time. Plus we all have different amount of time we can crochet. I know my job certainly interferes with crochet time. But I'm a widow now , so I have more time than most of the gals here. That's why I managed so many Twinkie squares.

Thanks for the complement on my newest project. I really enjoyed playing with it. Now I want to do another one, since I learned several thing as I went along. The next one will be even better. :hook

Let me finish the square I'm working on right now, and I'll do the Aligned Shells next. I remember doing that long ago and it's a nice one. I'm not a great explain-er, but if I'm doing the same square, maybe if I post a picture ???

Here's the start of the aligned shells square.

post-3434-135897513285_thumb.jpg

First , note the yellow square behind it. That's the first square I did.The one you saw in the daffodils. ;)

I keep that one on the arm of my chair. I fit the square I'm crocheting first across the bottom ( inside the edging) to make sure it's going to result in matching widths.

Then as I near the height I need, I check on top of this yellow one, until it also matches up. Edges are then added.

This square has a nice , perfect 25 stitches across. Four shells of 5 dbc each and five individual dbc.

The problem is the wave created at the top, where I want it straight across to look nice in my masterpiece. There are still 25 sts across.

I know what I will probably do when I get there, but for right now I'm going to leave this here and let the day people tell us what they do, :lol as I go and actually try it.

Oh..and yes it looks a bit odd. That's because I smashed it in my scanner for you. :eek

Good morning, my 63 pals --

Cheeria- I hope you had a good night last night and got another square done and found a pretty one you liked !

Pam -love your new afghan -- that is so pretty ! Was it hard to put all together ? or was it adding on a new color,then continue crocheting,without a lot of tiny little pieces then sewing them all together ?

( Sorry I didnt take the time to read through the pattern .)

It is sure pretty though ! :c9

Glad you liked the card -- I sent this week's early for those who made squares for the contest last week, so hopefully I can keep track of who else may need a card who didnt play in the games last weekend .

Thank you for jumping in to help Denise with her square ! That was so nice of you !:)

Denise- You don't have to apologize for asking for help if you get stuck. That's what we're here for . I am probably not going to be a huge help to you ,mainly because I don't have that book ,so don't have the pattern to look at .I did do that square from book one, but it's been a few years back,so don't remember a lot about it . If the directions at the end of the square don't end it off with some type of flat last row (not very good terms, but I'm a hillbilly ) ... this might be ONE idea --

When you go to do your last row before bordering : it looks to me like you could possibly kinda make a straight edging along there IF it doesnt specify that as the last row in the pattern --

This is only by looking at Pam's photo and without a pattern, so it's just kinda like a shot in the dark -- but if you could maybe do a hdc into the first space ,then maybe ch 2,then sc in the 3rd dc,ch2,hdc into the center stitch (between the shells) ..do that across ..?

I don't know if that would work or not -- just a guess without actually having the pattern to go by ,it'd give you a little bit more of a straight edging along the top .

We'll see what answers someone else may have that may have either just done that square or has the book and can give you their ideas .

Good luck, I'm sure we'll get something figured out for you . :yes

Thanks for helping Pam !!!:hug

Hey Gang

In the spirit of fun and keeping this group active and alive ,let's go back to the 50's !!!

See if you can find an avatar to match the 50's theme --anything at all, a food,a singer, a tv show, anything at all that was a popular thing in the 50's .

I chose a 50's Diner clock .

Also ,in your post, please mention any item from the 50's in each post.

You don't have to work it into your post, just put it at the end or beginning .

I'll go first --

What I think of when I think of the 50's : ELVIS .

Your turn --- Keep it going, and every time you post, you need to put in a new 50's word. There are a million I bet .

And Tab- if you drop in today -- no WISENHIMER remarks about not being ALIVE in the 50's .

I KNOW , I'm an ANTIQUE .

You at least have seen Happy Days on reruns haven't you ? Use THAT for an example if you need to .

Jules, that's what I do with uneven ending rows and borders.

As I see the height needed I'll uses hdc or dc whatever works.

And that ghan is gorgeous!! :clapI love bright colors!:cheer

Morning everyone, I'm heading out to do my laundry and just wanted to stop by and say HI

Pam you really do beautiful work. I love that afghan and the colors seem to pop. That pattern has been on my to do list but every time I look at it I say No. I even have the yarn for it all picked out.

Julie 50"s MMMMmmmmmm I wonder , how about the poddle skirt. I was born in the 50's so I was a little person at that time. LOL I guess I need to look this one up. What Fun :lol:lol

Guess what, I didn't get to crochet that square or pick one out I fell asleep with yasrn, hook and book on my bed. O Well :think

Have a great crocheting day everyone. :hug

Archived