The ~63~ Club

JulieKay

NOTE :

We are having company this week, and along with my health issues, I'll probably be unable to post this week .

I hope you guys will all step up to the plate and keep posting, keep the group active ,and I'll be back in a week .

I'll try to keep on making my squares when I get the chance, so I'll have some progress to show when I get back .

Just wanted to let you all know where I am -- keep the group going !

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Julie, it's sad, but sort of nice too, to hear a story like yours about Kenny. Both the sad times and the happy times are part of who we are, and your story shows both, the Kenny you knew and remembered as a child and the Kenny who reached adulthood and felt that it wasn't worth it anymore. Memories can pop up at the oddest times and the oddest places. Sorry it was a hard day for you. In a way though, I'm pleased for Kenny, he was remembered and probably by someone he would never have expected to give him a thought after all those years.

Hope you enjoy your company next week.

Denise,

I stumbled across this old blog..crochet101, with some helpful stuff for beginners doing the 63 sampler squares. It will take some clicking around, but you may find some useful tips. Or not ... Not sure, figured it's worth posting here for you, just in case.

Be sure to click around so you become familiar with how the Blogger set up works. At first glance you are seeing only the intro of each post she made. :hook

Thank you for posting this...it could come in very handy!:hook

I think Kenny may still be at the park,where he was happiest . Climbing a tree, daring us all to climb a little higher .

Jules, that was a very touching story - and also reminds us not to overlook the seemingly "happy" people around us.

Everyone has their dark times.

You're a truly empathetic person and have a sweet soul, my friend.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the newbie link. Looks like there are a lot of things to see there. I did finally finish block #2 last night. I am off by a stitch or two on the last border somehow. Hmm, I think I might have a lapghan by the time you are all done and ready to close this CAL, but I'm ok with that. I have to learn!

I hope I can get a picture today. The camera software is on my desktop computer which is still at a standstill due to the stupid virus (that I don't know how I picked up)

I think we all know a Kenny in our lives. Thanks for sharing your story.

Hi group, it is a beautiful day today so I went to do some household shopping after church. I even had a chance to stop in at AC Moore just to walk around and see if they had anything new, which they didn't. I really need to replace book 1 for I had it for a long time and it is starting to fall apart. They had two copies of it so I'll go back tomorrow with a coupon to pick it up.

Thank you everyone for the birthday well wishes, you really help make my day. I had fun shopping and eating breakfast out with my friends. They both live in another state and it was real thoughtful of them to do this for me. It was fun to do a little shopping for myself and I came home tired but happy. See what a little shopping and hanging out can do. :manyheart

Pam L. I bookmark the Crochet 101 site for I might gain some crochet pointers also. That was so nice of you to pass on gardening to others. I also love playing in dirt and can't wait to begin planting some flowers in the small space I have outside my apartment.

Hi Julie, Oh Julie you made my heart skip a beat when I read about your childhood friend Kenny. Thank you for sharing that with us. He must have been a wonderful person for you to remember him all these years and for you to go on a quest to find his grave site. Everyone need a friend like you in their life and I'm glad I'm getting to know you through this group. Have a great time with your company this week for we all will be missing you and waiting for you to return. :hug

With my other WIPs I'll be here for a while, so don't anyone panci - this thread will be open for quite some time:yes

That's comforting! :) I guess it's time to pick another pattern to try. Someone (oh forgive me, was it Pam?) posted #13 in book 1 and I liked it. I will check the instructions first I think.

And I forgot ot mention that I got my card in the mail for my first block. I am like (Julie - I think?) in that I am always buying stationery. I have about 6 pen pals, but I have about 100 years worth of nice writing paper. Anyway the card was very cute and themed for Easter. Thanks! My husband hates that I get all of the "good" mail. You have to write one to get one, is what I always tell him.

I am sorry I am guessing at your names, but as soon as I hit reply, I can't scroll back and look at posts properly. :think

I'll be here for a while too. I have tons of wips, and since I get bored easily, I flit from one to another.

Babypoohsmom, if I want to respond to the a number of posts, I open the reply box in a new window. That way I can go back and forth between my answer and the thread.

I may grow old here. :rofl

Still not sure how my squares are going to fit together, if I will be them all just next to each other, with a slim or fat border between each one, how will I arrange the colors? random, light to dark, in groups or ??? For now I'm feeling like I need more than 63 squares too. :dreaming

Now..to top it off I found a new pattern book that might fit in with all of this, for what I'm doing. "Triple Play Patten Stitches" by the same designer, Darla Sims. That's a link to Amazon BTW.

Given she did all the books we're working with, this is easy to work my squares from. It's set up with the same format, including right where I expect it.. the # of stitches needed per pattern repeat. So squares could be done to match, instead of the books intention to do full afghans useing the stitch patterns.

So.. do I want to make bunches of multi-colored to go with the ones I have here so far? :shrug

Edit to add: Hey.. on the very first page of my new book, it lists the other 4 books we are useing, saying something like " collect the whole set".. so this is officially book five...and I'm not completely off my rocker just yet. :rock

Denise,

I'm still learning who everybody is too. When I use the quick reply, I can scroll up to see the page I hit reply to on. If I choose Advanced ( view reply) I can scroll down to see reply's from the page I started from. So.. yes, when I arrive after all the early birds have gone to bed, I have to keep going back and forth to past pages to reply....it gets confusing. But it's fun too :yes!

And I forgot ot mention that I got my card in the mail for my first block. I am like (Julie - I think?) in that I am always buying stationery. I have about 6 pen pals, but I have about 100 years worth of nice writing paper. Anyway the card was very cute and themed for Easter. Thanks! My husband hates that I get all of the "good" mail. You have to write one to get one, is what I always tell him.

I hit reply, I can't scroll back and look at posts properly. :think

Julie never forgets us!

Still not sure how my squares are going to fit together, if I will be them all just next to each other, with a slim or fat border between each one, how will I arrange the colors? random, light to dark, in groups or ??? For now I'm feeling like I need more than 63 squares too. :dreaming

Now..to top it off I found a new pattern book that might fit in with all of this, for what I'm doing. "Triple Play Patten Stitches" by the same designer, Darla Sims. That's a link to Amazon BTW.

Given she did all the books we're working with, this is easy to work my squares from. It's set up with the same format, including right where I expect it.. the # of stitches needed per pattern repeat. So squares could be done to match, instead of the books intention to do full afghans useing the stitch patterns.

So.. do I want to make bunches of multi-colored to go with the ones I have here so far? :shrug

Edit to add: Hey.. on the very first page of my new book, it lists the other 4 books we are useing, saying something like " collect the whole set".. so this is officially book five...and I'm not completely off my rocker just yet. :rock

I made a ghan with the other CAL Julie started (the pirate themed one) and I'm making that ghan to a bedspread size: no border between the squares. My hubby said it reminded him of an Amish blanket, which is a good thing in our book. It had to do with the multicolors...I did, though, stick with muted or subdued versions of colors.

This is what that ghan looks like so far (I have to take off the border I put on it to make it bigger)

Oh, beofre I forget - I think it you go through a link on the ville here and buy from Amazon it gives the ville a cut of the order.

post-8552-135897515041_thumb.jpg

Morning :cheerGot to go to a doctors appointment today. I have not crochet all week-end so when I return I plan on picking up the hook and yarn and get some crochet done on my squares. :hook I also will be with this group for a while for I'm a slow crocheter and would like to see this project done, for I love working on my squares. Then I have to pack some things. For the next two days I'll be at my daughter's house taking care of my grandbaby for she has to go out of town. I'll try to get on to say hello and to see what's happening in the group. Talk to you all later. Have a great crocheting day.

CHeeria, I hope your appointment goes well...

Enjoy your grandbaby!! I've heard how they can lift your spirits without even trying.:manyheart

Good evening ladies. Hope this finds everyone well. Finished a couple more squares and then started Book 2 #12 Herringbone. Just couldn't get it to come out right. Frogged it and went on to #33. Will have to go back to the herringbone when I have more mind to work with. Just have to work on mindless and brain dead right now. :lol:lol

Good Evening All. Sorry, I haven't been in but I just turned the puter on today. I even forgot to check the mail.....I think it's the rainy weather because I just wanted to stay in bed.

Judy~Beautiful ghan!!:clap

Thanks, Tabby. It's going to be bigger...

PLEASE check your PO box....:hook

Good evening ladies. Hope this finds everyone well. Finished a couple more squares and then started Book 2 #12 Herringbone. Just couldn't get it to come out right. Frogged it and went on to #33. Will have to go back to the herringbone when I have more mind to work with. Just have to work on mindless and brain dead right now. :lol:lol

That's happened to me a few times. I'd start one pattern and become lost...and frog it.

Hi ladies

just a quick jump in ---

Due to limited spare time this week, and also, I think this will be much easier for everyone, I'd like to move this group over to the Happy House thread .

It started as a crochet-a-quilt, and some ladies are still making them ( I am too ), but we have changed it to include any and all items, so if you won't mind, I'd like to move this and my other small groups to Happy House .

It's also a small group,and all very friendly . That way, we'd all be in one spot and easier to manage from there .

I still encourage anyone who is making their squares to please continue as before. No other changes will be made, we'll all still meet up in an area together, all still have photo fridays, etc. Nothing else will change other than where we meet .

It'll make things easier I think since my other groups are small and lots of the people in them have completed their projects. This one will be a longer-lasting group,but we have some good dedicated followers in here. It'd make things easier to all meet up in one spot .

Over there, everyone works on any project they want, but we'd still be working on our same 63's together, just doing it in another area .

Thanks everyone ! :manyheart

I'll be able to drop in there once a day this week to check in, so it'll make it easier for me ,since things are busy here this week .

Thank you for your understanding !:hug

• 2 weeks later...

hello ladies

i know i`ve been so far for a long time im so sorry

but i`ve been under big presure and im facing marriage problems

hope it all will end soon as im so tired and sick of it :(

but im insisting in doing this afghan so im gonna go back to work on it

if i didnt pass by soon i promice to come later

Archived