The ~63~ Club

JulieKay

Morning everyone, we (me and a carload) are off to a quilt show today. Which made me think. Why are there not shows that exhibit crochet items? Wouldn't it be great to go to a convention center and see hundreds of things that other people have made? Take pictures, get inspired? Have a vendor mall with yarn and patterns and....! Does such a thing exist anywhere? I guess it would be hard to hang afghans for display. Hmm, I'm going to think about this one today.

And to Julie - cowboy Patrick is British. Maybe they gave different toys over there. The most amazing thing I saw? Two: The carvings that people made in the stone walls in the Tower of London while they were waiting for execution. Wow. And the Westminster Abbey. It cannot be described.

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning everyone. It is a gloomy drippy day here, just right for crocheting and eating healthy! Unfortunately I have laundry and cleaning to do.

Am I the only one who doesn't obsess too much about the size of my squares? I start a square as written and crochet a few rows. Then I hold it up to another square to see if the width is approximately right. If its too wide, I frog and do one less pattern repeat. I don't worry much about it being a little too narrow. I just make a wider edging on the sides. One of last weeks squares had DC edging on both sides and SC top and bottom, another had HDC edging all around, and the wavy one had SC, HDC DC edging to make it the sides and top straight. I doubt that it will be very apparent in the finished afghan.

Denise

This might sound ODD ,but the first thing I'd want to do in England is to find them guys that guard the castle ( I guess is what their job is ) ,the ones with the big furry hats ?

The ones who have to stand there and look serious and not smile ?

I'd stand on my head ,lift up their hat and pat them on the head, or tell them a funny joke ,just to get them to laugh .

I'd probably waste my entire trip doing it, but that's what I'd want to do most .

Cindy- yea, when i made my first 63 from book one, I worried a lot about sizes of the squares. This time, not as much. If I start one that is turning out WAY too big, I just tear it out and start another ,but I've only had to do that once . Luckily they are all turning out close enough .

They all seem to come together when you sew them into an afghan, so it all works out then .

Cindy and Jules...close enough is fine for me, too:D

Denise

This might sound ODD ,but the first thing I'd want to do in England is to find them guys that guard the castle ( I guess is what their job is ) ,the ones with the big furry hats ?

I'd stand on my head ,lift up their hat and pat them on the head, or tell them a funny joke ,just to get them to laugh .

I'd probably waste my entire trip doing it, but that's what I'd want to do most .

How did I know you would want to do that??:devil

Denise

That figures....:devil

Good morning everyone. It is a gloomy drippy day here, just right for crocheting and eating healthy! Unfortunately I have laundry and cleaning to do.

Am I the only one who doesn't obsess too much about the size of my squares? I start a square as written and crochet a few rows. Then I hold it up to another square to see if the width is approximately right. If its too wide, I frog and do one less pattern repeat. I don't worry much about it being a little too narrow. I just make a wider edging on the sides. One of last weeks squares had DC edging on both sides and SC top and bottom, another had HDC edging all around, and the wavy one had SC, HDC DC edging to make it the sides and top straight. I doubt that it will be very apparent in the finished afghan.

Thank you for relating that to us, for yes yesterday I was getting a little upset about my squares for it is a lot of work especially for someone like me who has RA in my hands. Today I'm ready to push forward with crocheting my squares for I do look forward to crocheting the different squares. It's fun and not boring. Like you it's is a great windy, raining day to relax and get into all the fibre arts that I do, but I have to clean the house and cook dinner. I'm deciding to make salmon cakes. MMMMmmmmm See you all later. :hug

Hi Cheeria

thanks for stopping in. Sounds like a good supper !

Don't try to overdo it with your hands -- just what you can,then take a break.

Did you ever try sitting with a heating pad on your lap, then when your hands ache, ley them on it or under it for awhile. It helps when my hands get sore from crocheting for a long time .

No need to have all the squares EXACTLY perfect. Just aim for as close as you can,and they'll work, you'll see .

Well Julie, sorry to say, even though movies might make you think otherwise, you can't get anywhere NEAR the guys with the big hats.

And, I promise to wash away all worires of my blocks actually matching up and just enjoy learning the new stitches. Maybe I will get to try another after everyone goes to bed tonight.

Well, shoot, Denise ! You mean they have GUARDS guarding the GUARDS ?

NOT a very good deal, if you ask me .

That would ruin all the fun .

If I could just get close enough for them to SEE me or HEAR me, I could still TALK to them and do funny stuff, just a farther-off view .

:hi Hi all !

Daylight saving time starts for most of us tonight/ Sunday morning !:coo

Don't forget. :idea

I'm all turned around time wise anyway so this should be interesting. My job yesterday was longer and harder than usual

(not complaining it"s money) and when I got home late I flopped down on the couch for just a moment.

Bad idea it turned out:sleep: Woke up 3 1/2 hours later !:eek Should just have gone to bed right ? But I was so hungry.:cchip

A small supper woke me up, so I sat down at did a couple of squares.:hook That put me to bed late. :yawn

Yep.. this is me all day today. :morcoffee .

Sure looking forward to more daylight after work ! Love that part. :yay

Julie,:waving

Speaking of time. When you say we need to post our number of completed squares for Team Twinkie on Monday morning by 9 am.. is that your time or my time..West Coast. That's before the crack of dawn here. When do I need to get last minute :woo organized ? :lol

:cheer Go Team Twinkie !:cheer

Hello. Sorry I haven't been able to check in between homework and the kids playing the computer (spongebob, ICK). I didn't realize that this was the weekend that my outline and first draft for my paper are due. EEK! I have to have atleast 900 words typed up by tomorrow night and I haven't even started. DOUBLE EEK! I had to do my outline today, which was a horrible task since I had a hard time finding resources. Thankfully my aunt was able to help talk me through it a bit. She helped me reword my search so I could actually find materials on the topic. Did I mention I hate these two classes? Well, I do. They have nothing to do with what I am going for, but unfortunately they are basic classes that everyone has to take. TRIPLE EEK!

Enough ranting. I have completed some squares, but I am sure I will be well behind most of you. Sorry, not much of a leader this weekend. :(

Hey Pam

Well, good golly, Miss Molly

I guess I never even thought of the time differences for people . You can post yours the night before if you want, that'll make it easier that way. It won't matter that much if it's a few hour's difference.

How do you sound so full of energy ? I feel like I ran a 2000 mile marathon and I havent left the house today .

Thanks for the reminder about changing the clocks . I would have forgotten .

So how's the weather out there at your side of the world ?

Cindy-- Now, you have got a treasure of a man ,don't you ? sweeps, cooks,and the whole shebang ?

Mine is a handy-dandy help most of the time ,but cooking ? NOPE .

Aint happening .

He does just about anything else I need help with and has been great lately since I don't feel well, but cooking is not his high point .

Once, I saw him cook a hotdog. I actually went out to the kitchen to WATCH, I was so intrigued . He waited til the water started boiling til he put the hotdog in. Funny !

Another time, he "cooked" macaroni and cheese for the kids . I came home and they were at the table ,and it sounded like that part of the Christmas Vacation movie when they were all chewing the turkey ?

He put the macaroni in cold water, sat it on the stove. when it began to boil, he took it off, drained it, put the cheese on, and WALA !

Macaroni and Cheese ,with ROUGHAGE INCLUDED !!!!

UH OH

THE QUEEN OF THE HEALTHNUTS ATE A CANDYBAR AND COOKIES !!!!

QUICK !!!!

Someone grab some rope !!! Tie her to a tree and pelt her with heads of lettuce until she gives up her evil eating habits .

( I guess that means all your SQUARE points go to OUR TEAM ) ????

Cindy-- Now, you have got a treasure of a man ,don't you ? sweeps, cooks,and the whole shebang ?

Mine is a handy-dandy help most of the time ,but cooking ? NOPE .

Aint happening .

He does just about anything else I need help with and has been great lately since I don't feel well, but cooking is not his high point .

Once, I saw him cook a hotdog. I actually went out to the kitchen to WATCH, I was so intrigued . He waited til the water started boiling til he put the hotdog in. Funny !

Another time, he "cooked" macaroni and cheese for the kids . I came home and they were at the table ,and it sounded like that part of the Christmas Vacation movie when they were all chewing the turkey ?

He put the macaroni in cold water, sat it on the stove. when it began to boil, he took it off, drained it, put the cheese on, and WALA !

Macaroni and Cheese ,with ROUGHAGE INCLUDED !!!!

Julie, dh is a keeper, but he isn't really much of a cook. However, if he cooks, I eat it without complaining. And he does like to cook. He just doesn't have any idea of how to organize, so when he cooks, the food is finished at all different times. Sometimes we're done eating before his last dish is done cooking. Mostly he just grills. He also likes to make bread in the breadmaker. (that's his idea of a well balanced meal...meat and bread, maybe with a little ice cream.) We had a salad today, because I bought a bag of premade salad this morning.

Archived