The ~63~ Club

JulieKay

Cheeria

I was born in the 50's too -- 58 .

I have a picture of me when I was about 2 wearing a red poodle skirt .

Don't feel bad about falling asleep, I just woke up in my chair ,right in the middle of trying to get some crochet done myself .

Ok, let's see. I have to name another 50's item : saddle shoes .

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Pam (is that right)? I was fretting that I didn't know people's real names and everyone else does, then I noticed that some people have 10,000+ posts! Well, thanks for trying my block and smashing everything on the scanner!! I still have no internet connection on my PC and the laptop is so hard to look at after being at work all day, so I gave up last night. And wow, you were up late!! I think I might go back and take the last row off so it isn't so much bigger than the first one. I guess I can always dc the first border to make up the height? (see, I'm learning). I'm glad you could see that the top could never be straight as the pattern reads!

And to Julie, yes, I work. Usually way more than 40 hours, plus I have a longarm quilting business on the side, which is freakishly busy in this bad economy. I usually crochet for about an hour every night before bed. It calms me.

The 50's, ok, don't be mad, but I was born in the late 60's. But I did wear a poodle skirt recently for a fundraiser for the animal rescue where I volunteer. Does that count? I don't know if "Honey" is a song from the 50's or not, but our neighbor used to play it all of the time and it made me nuts!

My sister is older than me by almost 9 years and I remeber walking with her and her friends when I was pretty young...and admiring their poodle skirts.

I was born in Dec.'48

Denise

Yep, you are getting the hang of it, see ? You'll learn how to fiddle with the squares to get them to fit like they are supposed to .

Yes, Pam is the one who was helping you last night. She's probably our furthest west-coaster person so she's kinda-like our night shift person in here . The rest of us go to bed long before she has a chance to check in a lot of times .

Don't feel bad about not getting the names- they'll come to you . You can take notes -- leave a tablet beside your computer and jot names on it until you catch on of you have to. You are right, though, a lot of us have been in here for a long time so we have known each other from other groups ,so we know names .

There are several newer people in the group too, so I've had to learn some new names myself .

Ok... here I go again -- I have just posted so have to think of another 50's thing -- how about the fuzzy dice they hung on their mirrors in their cars ?

PS --

JUDE -- the years that ended in 8 must have been vintage years --- you were 48, me 58 .

Hey ladies

just a quick reminder-- tomorrow is Photo Friday !

Just in case anyone has made any new squares since our challenge last weekend .

I'll be posting mine -- I have my first 2 strips made and joined now, so have a little more accomplished .

If you don't have anything new for this week, totally fine !!!

Started a new square at the laundry today and I'm 1/2 way done. What beautiful warm weather we had today. I'll remember to post my challenge squares and also the square I'm working on now for Pic Friday.

Did they dance the swing in the 50's??????? :think

Talk to you all a little later.

Hello everyone, home from work and even managed to fit in grocery shopping on my way home. Just waiting for dh to grill some chicken for dinner. I already amde a salad, so my share is done!

I want to show all of you the afghan I finished up, while your still awake. :lol

Managed to put it in the washer before I left this morning , so a quick trip through the dryer just now as I'm having my after-work snack, gave me the ability to snap a quick photo. :photo Ran outside to try and find sunlight. Turns out I'm all shaded ...but next door , next to the vegetable garden gave me hope. Between the wind :oopsand the weeds this is a bit wonkey..but you can see all my fun colors.

[ATTACH]17984[/ATTACH]

I was determined:hyper to get a picture.

I think that is a really great looking afghan. All those colors are so great together.

Here's the start of the aligned shells square.

[ATTACH]17989[/ATTACH]

First , note the yellow square behind it. That's the first square I did.The one you saw in the daffodils. ;)

I keep that one on the arm of my chair. I fit the square I'm crocheting first across the bottom ( inside the edging) to make sure it's going to result in matching widths.

Then as I near the height I need, I check on top of this yellow one, until it also matches up. Edges are then added.

This square has a nice , perfect 25 stitches across. Four shells of 5 dbc each and five individual dbc.

The problem is the wave created at the top, where I want it straight across to look nice in my masterpiece. There are still 25 sts across.

I know what I will probably do when I get there, but for right now I'm going to leave this here and let the day people tell us what they do, :lol as I go and actually try it.

Oh..and yes it looks a bit odd. That's because I smashed it in my scanner for you. :eek

I haven't read all the way through the thread yet, but I've made a square very similar to that one. It might even be that one, I lost track. I am not quite sure exactly what I did, but it looks like I did a DC where the deepest part of the curve is, HDCs on either side and sc's in between. It isn't quite perfectly straight, but its pretty close. I just sewed it to another square and it looks fine.

Hey gang

Here's my photo Friday picture- I always like doing it Thursday night so I don't forget --Sam takes the pictures for me on Thurs.nights, so I just go ahead and post them now, so I don't forget to do it tomorrow .

I now have 2 strips done and joined.

Good night Judy.

Julie, your afghan looks great so far.

I have sewn together two strip of 7 squares each, and each strip is nearly 60 inches long. My squares are between 8 and 9 inches in size. I think that I will not need all 63 squares for this afghan. This afghan is intended to be a throw for the family room, so I think that 60 inches square is large enough. Actually I think 50 by 60 would be big enough. I guess I'll decide when I get a little further.

Here is my picture post a little early. These are the 7 squares I made last weekend. I apologize for taking all separate pictures. I should have gotten them all together.

They are all from the first book: #13,14,22,31,34,35,and 32.

post-6189-135897513436_thumb.jpg

post-6189-135897513439_thumb.jpg

post-6189-135897513442_thumb.jpg

post-6189-135897513444_thumb.jpg

post-6189-135897513447_thumb.jpg

post-6189-135897513449_thumb.jpg

post-6189-135897513452_thumb.jpg

Hi Cindy, Well, I like the individual pictures because I can see more details and us newbies like to soak up details. I like the one on the top left. Can you tell me which one that is because I have book one as well. Is yours going to be all one color then?

My computer is doing something right now and I hope it will remove the program that's blocking me from the internet because I hate typing on this laptop keyboard and I can't load any pictures. Yeah, I guess I promised not to complain because I actually have power and all, but I just feel whiney right now!! Sorry.

Here are my squares for the week.. They were not included in the count for the weekend. I started on the green on Wed. because I needed a color change. Got tired of doing pink and purple. They are from book 2---#6, #7, and #8. Going to do all of the squares first and then put them together probably not in same order of pattern because I don't want 2 colors next to each other if I can help it. 15 done so far. Thinking about adding one more row of white or cream around each one then joining with the same color. Any thoughts? Still going to make squares in yellow and peach.

post-35625-135897513813_thumb.jpg

post-35625-135897513817_thumb.jpg

post-35625-135897513819_thumb.jpg

Morning ladies -

Cindy-- your squares are so nice ! You do really neat work. I like them all ,the ones with the texture in them are always my favorites .And nothing wrong with making yours with less squares than called for -- do any size you want .

My squares are also coming out closer to 8 inches than the 7.5 ,too ,so it will make quite a large afghan when complete .

Wanda- love the colors-- the pink is very pretty . The white trim would look nice if that's what you decide on. Totally up to you, whatever you think you will like best, but I think it'd be pretty .

I'm ahead of the game this week on cards, so you guys should be receiving this week's cards if you havent already. I forget what day I mailed them, but they are mailed already !

Hi Cindy, Well, I like the individual pictures because I can see more details and us newbies like to soak up details. I like the one on the top left. Can you tell me which one that is because I have book one as well. Is yours going to be all one color then?

My computer is doing something right now and I hope it will remove the program that's blocking me from the internet because I hate typing on this laptop keyboard and I can't load any pictures. Yeah, I guess I promised not to complain because I actually have power and all, but I just feel whiney right now!! Sorry.

Its number 13, Bushy stitch. I crochet loosely, so mine looks a little different from the picture in the book.

And weren't you the one worried about slightly different square sizes? I discovered something yesterday as I was sewing squares together: I put my squares in piles of 7 to sew them together. As I did this, I noticed that, while I had made my squares in different widths, quite a number of them were the same size. I sewed together the same size ones onto strips. That means that one of the three strips I made is approximately a half inch narrower than the other two, but I don't think it will be noticeable in the afghan, and I avoided having to stretch some squares to make them fit. I use clip style clothespins to hold my squares together while I sew them together. That way I know when I reach the corner, it will come out even.

When I sew strips together, I put a clothespin the strips at each square "junction".

Here are my squares for the week.. They were not included in the count for the weekend. I started on the green on Wed. because I needed a color change. Got tired of doing pink and purple. They are from book 2---#6, #7, and #8. Going to do all of the squares first and then put them together probably not in same order of pattern because I don't want 2 colors next to each other if I can help it. 15 done so far. Thinking about adding one more row of white or cream around each one then joining with the same color. Any thoughts? Still going to make squares in yellow and peach.

They look great.

I always have a hard time deciding what color to sew squares together with, if hey are all different colors, so if it was me I would add a border. I am partial to cream, as opposed to white because I think it is a softer look. However, I don't think I'm seeing your colors correctly on my monitor. The squares you showed look cream and pale pink to me, none of them looks green. It sounds like white might look better than cream with your colors.

Judy those are great. I am really looking forward to seeing your finished afghan.

Jude- very pretty squares !!! Gonna make a beautiful Christmas afghan .

Thanks! I love the colors...at least by starting this early in the year I know I'll have it done for this Christmas!:lol

Archived