The ~63~ Club

JulieKay

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheeria, sounds like you've got a great day coming up tomorrow. I just checked our weather and it is supposed to snow late tonight. I doubt if it will stick, since it's been around 60 degrees for the past week.

Good night everyone.

Hey gang

Just a last time checkin for the night --

Ha,ha.ha... it's still so early on a Friday evening here. The sun is bright and doing that getting ready to set golden super bright thing. I'm headed out to do some weed wrangling and a bit of raking, since I can rake with the wind and it's easier. :lol

Hi Oregon Kitty! (Pam?) Yeah, I need a notepad...

I am still up. And THANKS so much for the picture. I think I have enough info to take a stab at fixing it now. It was so nice of you to make that block to help me out. I hope it was on your to-do list anyway.

Unfortunately, it looks like my PC is just doomed and I am looking to see if we have the original disks so it can be wiped clean and re-loaded. After I spend who-knows-how-many hours backing up photos and documents.

I was really looking forward to getting this block finished, another one done and a bit of charity work completed this weekend, but now I am not hopeful. :angry

Julie, I got your card today. Thank you very much. :hug Trying to work some of the more complicated squares now and doing as much frogging as crocheting. But I will get it eventually. :) I think I will trim and join in an off white or cream. It is the only thing I think will look right. I don't like to join different color squares with the color of one of the squares. I can't do it without it looking sloppy,

You ladies have posted some very pretty squares.

Just sliding through to see all the great work going on....i was so bad this week....didn't even get one square done, here you go Julie...the bat..:tryme I take my punishment without complaint...i was bad :(.

Judy i really really love yours in the Christmas colors.

Julie....i received 2 cards from you this week and 1 today...its amazing how something so simple can put a smile on your face...i bet i looked like an idiot skipping back from the mail box...thank you so much :hugthey are all lined up on my side table.

Morning ladies

Glad you are enjoying the cards. I like sending them -- it's fun shopping for new ones and looking for stickers. I'm like a little kid with stickers!

Shay - YOU ARE NOT BAD . Good grief- you made a truckload of squares last weekend, you can certainly take this week off to do other things-- it's fine !

Pam- beautiful squares !!! Your wind story made me think of once back in my 20's ...

I'm out mowing the yard .

It was REALLY windy that day .

We had an electric mower at the time, so it had to be plugged in to work .

We also have mosquitos really bad in the summertime .

To top off the story, I was wearing a wrap-around skirt .

SO ...............here's me, trying to mow the yard, keep the cord out of the way so I won't cut it in 2 with the mower , smack mosquitos, AND keep my UNDERPANTS from flashing to the whole neighborhood everytime the wind blew that stupid wraparound skirt .

GEEZ, what a day ............... my old neighbor guy next door, who was about 85. laughed until tears ran down his face .

At least I made him laugh ,so SOMETHING good came out of it .

Judy,

Wow.. you had a good week.:cheer

Fine plan to get more Christmas underway this early. Are you playing carols in the background ?

:wreath:gift :gift :gift:ctree

No...no music:lol

Good morning everyone. It is snowing here, and the ground is covered. Jsust yesterday I was walking on the beach in a sweater, and quite a few people were out there in t-shirts, shorts and sandals, although I didn't think it was THAT warm. Today there is a fire in the fireplace.

Not sure how much time I will have to work on my afghan today. I really need to do some housework, since I didn't do much yesterday. I have two strips pinned together, ready to sew.

Wow,Cindy-

talk about discouraging ! The weather this time of year can be a real tease can't it ? Nice one day,snow the next .

No offense, but please don't send it down here. If I see one more snowflake, I'm gonna blow a gasket .

Hello. Just came in from my 30 minute walk. It is warm out there and I am sweaty now. Reminder: Do not wear sweatshirt when taking a fast walk. DOH! :eek

Judy~My mail did come, but I have a PO box and we almost never check unless we are expecting something. I will check it on Monday, now I am excited. :cheer

Julie~Howdy Buddy Ole Pal!

I really need some motivation and energy. Anyone have any they can lend me? :D

Afternoon everyone I must say I had a very nice day today. It's my B-day. It started off with breakfast with two friends from my college days, then on to major shopping for myself which I haven't done in a long time. Tomorrow I'll begin crocheting squares again.

Here is the pictures I promised to post of the squares I made for the Healthnut Team. I'm praying that the chocolate brown one show up well for it is real pretty. One square is real lacy and open weave, I haven't decided if I really like that kind of square but guess what it is going to be part of the afghan any way. :lol All the squares came from book one, they are numbers,2 I modified it by crocheting in the back loop, 28, 24, and 30.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12302824@N03/4448092183/

Cindy I'm sorry to hear you have snow please don't send it our way for I have spring fever.

Julie thank you so much for the card it really brighten my day especially if I had a rough day.

Talk to you all tomorrow. :hug

Cheeria, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

:party:bday:ghug:flower

I hope you had a wonderful day:hug

AND... I like the choc brown square alot, too! Great job, hon!:cheer

Denise,

I stumbled across this old blog..crochet101, with some helpful stuff for beginners doing the 63 sampler squares. It will take some clicking around, but you may find some useful tips. Or not ... Not sure, figured it's worth posting here for you, just in case.

Be sure to click around so you become familiar with how the Blogger set up works. At first glance you are seeing only the intro of each post she made. :hook

Cheeria,

:birthday a day late.

And Happy First Day of Spring :flower to everybody.. a day late.

Hey..it's the thought that counts right ?

My squares continue, but at a much slower rate right now.

Lots of time spent in the garden..got all my piles picked up and composted, and many more piles created. Result .. passing by it all looks the same. :lol Worked with y neighbor .. he brought 'big red' in and tilled the garden over there.

I used to work that patch but gave it to the Bicycle Gardner the last couple years. He's a fellow that gardens vegetable patches around the area and gives the produce to locals that need the food.

This year we have a couple gals interested and making plans to plant. It's a good spot since I've improved the soil for years and helped our new gardeners do the same. So we have a good start over there for them ,all ready to go. Now we just wait for warmer weather. It's a good way to pass on old gardeners experience to new folks, and with luck they will continue passing it along as they move on. So..that's part of who I am. :)

Julie, Great story about the mower, skirt and the wind. Good thing we're so cute at that age. We managed to get away with such things and give the oldsters a good laugh while we were at it. I did my share too. :P

Well, I'm off to finish a square and call it a night.

Have a nice Sunday everyone. :waving

I hope you guys are having some nicer weather this weekend like we are. It was so pretty out yesterday -- blue skies, sunshine, etc .

I got a very small sliver of time with my grandson yesterday --and my husband was gone for the day , so I went on a search .

This may sound odd to some of you ,but sometimes an idea pops into my head and it won't go away til I do it .

Yesterday, my head told me GO FIND KENNY .

The street I grew up on is a couple blocks from here . We had LOTS of kids on the street ,who all played together all the time .Kenny ,the boy next door ,was my age,and was the "wild" one on the street-- you know, a real daredevil ?

Never afraid to try anything .He'd climb a tree higher than anyone else, sled ride down the steepest hill no one else was brave enough to try ... just FEARLESS .

I guess for awhile, you could say he was my "little boyfriend ". As we all got older ,we kinda all drifted apart, made other friends ,and went our separate ways .

15 years ago, Kenny commited suicide . He was 37 .

SO...yesterday I went on a quest to find him .

I knew he was buried in our town cemetery ,but not where his grave was.

His parents are both deceased . I couldnt find anyone who had names of who was buried where .

Came home, did some research on the computer and found his one sister ,many years older than we were . I called her ( lives the next town over . )

They told me where Kenny was buried . In the military section . Back to the cemetery ,walking around, looking for Kenny .

I finally found him . Stood and talked to him a long time ,about the good old days and all the fun we had together growing up . Took out a kleenex and polished off his headstone .

Little did I know, he had been a marine .He had fought in Vietnam . Had a golden star on his grave to prove it .

Yesterday was a sad day but also a good day . I wish I would have been around when Kenny reached the lowest point in his life ,where he felt there wasn't anything left to live for .

He had lost his job, his marriage .No kids . It was Thanksgiving day .

I guess he no longer felt anything to be thankful for .

So, Kenny chose to LEAVE his life like he LIVED it : He chose to go out in his own way ,which in some odd way ,would have been the way he wanted to do things .

I left there and went to the tree in our neighborhood park ,where Kenny had carved our initials . I looked real hard, but could no longer find them. I know they were there ,and that was the tree,just couldnt find the initials .

I really miss Kenny and think about him often . He made my childhood much more fun and exciting, because he was like a one-man circus . Never a dull moment when Kenny was around .

He definitely deserves that gold star on his grave . Even if he hadn't been a military person,he deserves a gold star . He was a gold-star person. He touched a lot of people and left lasting good memories for all of us fortunate to have grown up knowing him .

I think Kenny may still be at the park,where he was happiest . Climbing a tree, daring us all to climb a little higher .

Archived