The ~63~ Club

JulieKay

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone, it has been a very snowy day, but I haven't gotten any crochet done today, instead I had company. Everyone's squares sure are pretty. I will pick out another square to do tonight or maybe tomorrow. I think for the evening I am going to be working on my knitted blanket for my new grandbaby which is due in the first week of June. Talk to you all later.

Getting a little quiet in here !!!

Wake up everyone ..

It's 6:30 AM :applause

Tropical breezes blowing ....warm wind coming in off the waves ... water as blue as the sky .... sand warm between the toes ...

seagulls screeching overhead ........

Oh, yea .... that's in Tahiti . :sun

HERE it's snowing cats & dogs .

Colder than blue blazes .

Wind chill of 3 . :snow

BUT

There are better days ahead . :D

Today,we all have yarn by our chairs , hooks in our hands ,patterns laying nearby and projects to work on . :yarn:hook

We gotta keep motivated here guys ,and push each other along .This ,my lovelies, is one of the Challenging CAL's . :crocheting

Just think of the satisfaction of completing it .

Kinda like CAL Bootcamp .

So,don't give up on me here folks ....

I'll have to think up some more brainstorms, and unfortunately ,my poor old brain can't storm as well as it once did .

:badidea

So if you are lurking,and thinking about joining, come out, come out,wherever you are .........

:lurk

And for all the rest , JUMP in !!!!

Roll call-- drop in and give us an update on how things are going .

Got your yarn yet ?

Pattern books ?

What square are you on ?

Having troubles ?

Find one you like a lot ?

Color selections to make ?

We need to liven it up in here to keep the group active and thriving because this will be a hard one to complete if we don't keep everyone motivated ..

I'll have to try to think of another way of encouraging everyone I guess .

I'll pick my square today - and will likely use green.

Later, gators!

OH: what size is good for a lapghan? Round Ripple or regular.

Good morning everyone...it looks like another day that will be spent crocheting. Got more snow last night and the kids will be home again. I really do need to give my hands a break though. I'm also working on a clutch to use for my sister's wedding and I'm doing sc with an F hook and my hand gets so cramped.

I have seven squares completed, but there's one that's larger than the rest and one that's smaller than the rest. This is harder than I thought :eek. I obviously don't want to redo them :lol. If I make sure each square has the 122 sc border, then does it *really* matter if a few squares are off by like .5"? It may not be perfect, but won't the smaller ones sort of stretch? I know when I made a blanket with small squares for my mom, I was still very new and didn't catch that 1/4 of my squares were quite a bit smaller. Once they were all stitched together it somehow all worked out in the end.

I'm being as careful as I can with gauge, but guess I'm going to have to start getting inventive and leave a row out or something sometimes.

So to answer your questions:

Got your yarn yet ? Yes, but I'll be buying it in small batches.

Pattern books ? I'm using book #1, the one with the green, cream, and pink squares. I'm thinking of picking up another book though, I want to see what else Joanne's has. Can I use a coupon on books at Joanne's?

What square are you on ? I just completed the alternate puff stitch.

Having troubles ? Gauge, of course.

Find one you like a lot ? I'm sticking to the familiar ones right now, so I haven't really done anything new yet.

Color selections to make ? I'm using RHSS in soft white, frosty green, and light sage. *Ask me what I'd rather be using* :lol

I am very happy to report that I have finished 2 squares...and they appear to be the same size so that's a good thing! I started square number 3 while watching the Olympics last night! :clapMaybe this weekend I will get some pictures posted.

Don't change the way you are doing things, we are motivated but most of us are finishing other projects as well right now! I have had bosses in the office the last few days, when most winters I can go **weeks** without seeing them, so I can't crochet at work and at home I am finishing a RR. I do have #7 of book 1 finished, no camera as yet, and anyway don't send me a card till I FINISH my afghan, it will motivate me more! The gauge was tricky, my first try the sqare was 8.5"! so I ripped it out, started over and really like it. I have started #15 it looks cute. I feel sorry for you snow people, Keep warm this weekend and safe. Have a great weekend! di

Snowy day here today too. At least it's pretty.

I'm going to pick out a pattern and make a square today.

Judy, I don;t know about a round lapghan, but last time I made one, I made it a width that fit across my lap with just a little to spare, and I made it just long enough to cover my feet when it was in my lap. I donated to a nursing home and I was worried about wheelchair wheels getting caught in it, if it was too big.

Here's a thread that discusses lapghan size:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65117&highlight=lapghan+size

Hi everyone, It's my plan today to pick out my square and begin it. It's snowy here in New Jersey pretty but I'm getting tired of snow. Come on Spring. :cheer Sorry about being slow on this project but doing one square per week is great enough for me since I'm knitting and crocheting other projects. I like this group for I never worked on a larger project like this and need all the motivation I can get. Hopefully as time go by I will pick up steam making these crochet squares. I am also involve with making knitted squares monthly for a group over in Raverly. Enough about me. Having fun doing crafts today is all I want to do no matter if it's crochet or knitting. Talk to you all later. :hug

Cheeria, I need all the motivation I can get too. I actually started a 63 squares afghan quite a while ago, so I'm picking it back up again.

I've been working on square 13 from the 63 more back. I think it's kind of ugly, but I had it started already so I decided to finish it.

And I am not going to worry any more about gauge. that's what made me drop the project before. It's no fun to have to frog nearly every first attempt to get my squares the right size. I'll just bring my squares up to size by fudging with the edging.

Jude

On the lapghan question,were you asking for this project or for a RR ? I was mixed up ,which is easy for me to get anymore .

Erica-- OOooohhh -- weddings ! Love talking weddings !!

What colors are they using and when is it ?

Tell me about the CAKE .

And as for your squares-- great job on completing so many !

I would stick with the sizes you've got, but add maybe another round of border to the small one to see if it'll help make it closer to the others -- it really won't make it look bad in the end-it'll just make it fit better. The big one doesnt sound like it'll be that much off to make it a concern when joining .

Hey there Deb-- good girl for getting 2 done !! keep up the good work !

Di- thanks for posting -- I hope you didnt think I was hollering at you to get the whole thing done this week ~:lol~ I just know these afghans are pretty challenging and lots of people start but very few complete them,because of frustration or because the group conversations and interactions slow down. So if I can keep everyone YAKKING in here, then everyone will still want to work on it . :yes

So, if you can just come in and yak about supper or your kid or whatever you want, that's fine with me . :)

I don't have strict rules in my groups about only talking crochet. You can talk about life in general if you want .

Cindy- yep, the edging and changing hook sizes is the key to the whole thing, but edging works everytime .. .so especially if squares are too small,use another round of edging .

If you start one and it measures too wide after the first couple rows, pull it out and try a hook size lower ,that should do the trick .

Cheeria-- what knit square afghan are you doing ? Me, Jude & Cindy are also working on a knit square one .

I finished square 13, which looks better with edging. (I thought it was kind of ugly before I edged it.) It had a wavy bottom so I had to do a little experimenting to straighten it out.

I have started another square, but its time I got to my house cleaning for a while again.

Erica-- OOooohhh -- weddings ! Love talking weddings !!

What colors are they using and when is it ?

Tell me about the CAKE .

Ugh don't even get me started on the wedding :lol. It's March 19 and I'm the matron of honor, even though it originally was going to be her best friend, but then she felt obligated to ask me. She's ten years younger than me and we're not very close--I feel more like her aunt than her sister. She's only 22 and I really hope she's making the right decision, but hey what do I know? I've only been there, done that. And now I'm on my second husband. At least she doesn't have a baby in the picture like I had. :)

My mother is to the point of tears because she is going broke over this wedding and his family isn't really helping at all (and it's mostly his side attending). So there's a lot of issues but I'm sure it'll all come together and it'll be nice and hopefully it will be a successful marriage.

Her colors are "fern, eggplant, and ivory". I for one, think this "fern" color is um, sort of ugly, and I wish the girls were wearing eggplant. But she really likes this fern and wants to see a lot of it :lol. She's going with this "organic, natural theme", with branches and candles. I'm really worried I won't fit into the dress, I've gained a couple of pounds since the fitting. Whoops. And I don't know anything about the cake! I know she was talking about it a few months ago, but I don't know what she decided on. Oh, I do know she has those little love birds from Etsy for a cake topper.

I made these little bunnies for her for Christmas. Oh, her face when she opened them! DSCF0169.jpg

Well on the positive side, it'll be a night out for me and hubby without the little ones. And there's an open bar! :jumpyay

Archived