Uncomfortable in LYS

I had to chime in. I go to a wonderful shop in Longview, TX - at least an hour and a half from my home just to shop, feel, and drool over the wonderful yarns, but I go there primarily to see one of the owners - "Sue" is a joy. She knits and crochets, and doesn't think one is better than the other craft. She's helpful and gracious - she even sent me a skein of yarn BEFORE I paid for it when I accidentally ran out of the yarn. "Oh, Honey, I'll send the bill along with the yarn - just pay me when you get a chance".

On the other hand, I've been to many yarn shops that, when I told them I don't knit, I crochet, am looked at like an alien creature, then ignored. For me, this is a great opportunity to enlighten those poor souls about our wonderful craft. Bless their hearts, they can't help it.......

Juli from Texas

I have to take a bus and the subway to get to a Micheals, or a 30 (+/-) min. bike ride to an A.C. Moore (I don't drive). I like to be greeted then left to browse (I pet the yarn too :lol). Sometimes I like to talk to other customers and we help each other. I know they're there when I need them though. Once I got help from a guy who knitted, he knew more about yarn than some sales people :lol. As long as they weren't mean, you should go again.

Ellie 13

I just had to say I live *n hour if I drive 45 min If my daughter drives from longview. I love stitches and stuff. It is one of the best lys I have ever been in. They have such pretty stuff yarn, hooks and teapots and cups. I was in there sat and looking for a wooden hook. I bought a brittany hook. They have some beautiful ones for 39 dollars. I wanted one of them but my daughter had talked me into getting a manicure. Well I did it, please I'm real country the maicure lasted two days, if I hadn't did that I could have bought the beautiful hook. Sorry to be yakky but I wanted one of those hooks.

She lost a repeat customer who would pass the word of their nastiness to other people, knitters and crocheters alike, plus she lost out on the current sale that would have been close to $100.00.

Now I just go to craft stores that sell yarn and shop online.

See, this is what I mean. What idiots! As if anyone, in this economy, can afford to be snooty about a potential sale. Even if you were going to bring the yarn home and let birds nest in it, it was still a $100 sale!

See, this is what I mean. What idiots! As if anyone, in this economy, can afford to be snooty about a potential sale. Even if you were going to bring the yarn home and let birds nest in it, it was still a $100 sale!

Yes, they just don't see the big picture. There's a store in my town where I was treated badly and I haven't been back. Now I drive 20 minutes or so to a knitting/spinning/crochet store that welcomes everyone. To me, it's worth the ride.

:manyheart

The last LYS I was in, they, the owner and her group of 'ladies', were all sitting around in a circle knitting. The owner followed me around the store with her head over my shoulder like I was going to shoplift all her yarn, while the 'ladies' stopped their talking outloud and instead whispered loudly. When I found the yarn I was looking for, I picked up what I needed and trying not to trip over the owner, went to the counter to pay for it. She loudly asked me what I was going to make with it. When I told her I was crocheting a shawl for a gift, she pulled the yarn out of my reach and told me that she couldn't sell it to me because the yarn was for knitting. I stood there for a long moment looking at her and then the 'ladies' who were now quiet and staring at me. Then I shrugged, put my wallet back into my purse and said I guess I'll just spend my money somewhere else and walked out. The look on her face was actually a sneer with disappointment. The feeling I got from the look on her face, wasn't that I was spending my money elsewhere, but that I wouldn't stand there and argue with her. She lost a repeat customer who would pass the word of their nastiness to other people, knitters and crocheters alike, plus she lost out on the current sale that would have been close to $100.00.

Now I just go to craft stores that sell yarn and shop online.

It makes me sad and mad that these kinds of things happen! I can't imagine what they are thinking. I guess they have their core group of customers and don't care if they ever get any new customers. It's a terrible, stupid, business practice.

For those who haven't been to many LYS yet, please keep in mind that most stores are not like this. If the majority of crocheters start avoiding LYS, that will just reinforce the stereotype that LYS are only for knitters.

first off what LYS? and where in Detroit is it located?

thanks

It is City Knits in the Fisher Building in New Center area of Detroit. I work across the street (This is a bad thing)

I really don't think that LYS owners know that crocheting uses more yarn than knitting. I told that to one and was told it was not true.

It really depends on what stitch pattern you are using---crocheting doesn't always use more yarn.

It really depends on what stitch pattern you are using---crocheting doesn't always use more yarn.

Glad I read ahead a little bit. I was just going to bring up the very same point. I forget who it was, but someone made swatches a year or so ago, and depending upon the stitch used, knitting sometimes used quite a bit more yarn than crocheting. That shouldn't matter, though. Yarn is yarn, and if it is one of the products you sell, then no matter what the potential buyer wants to use it for, it's still profit for the store that sells it. To treat anyone badly who might buy that yarn because they don't use the needlecraft that you prefer is just stupid. And childish.

Glad I read ahead a little bit. I was just going to bring up the very same point. I forget who it was, but someone made swatches a year or so ago, and depending upon the stitch used, knitting sometimes used quite a bit more yarn than crocheting. That shouldn't matter, though. Yarn is yarn, and if it is one of the products you sell, then no matter what the potential buyer wants to use it for, it's still profit for the store that sells it. To treat anyone badly who might buy that yarn because they don't use the needlecraft that you prefer is just stupid. And childish.

That's how I kinda feel when I walk into some LYSes. I feel soo intimidated by them. Maybe I'm just a weirdo. I would like to shop at them more often, but oh well I guess. First though, I do need a job so I can spend money on expensive and pretty yarn.

For those who haven't been to many LYS yet, please keep in mind that most stores are not like this. If the majority of crocheters start avoiding LYS, that will just reinforce the stereotype that LYS are only for knitters.

I've been reading this thread since it was first posted, and now I have to throw my 2 cents in. Where I live (near Los Angeles airport) ALL LYS are like this. I have driven over 30 miles to all areas of L.A. and Orange county and have yet to find a LYS where the owner and her groupies DIDN'T behave this way.

If anyone knows of a LYS in southern California that actually welcomes strangers, let alone crocheters, please let me know. I would LOVE to be disabused of my prejudices, but I'm still waiting to find this mythical store.

I have always been very intimidated to go to LYS. I really do not know much about the different yarn types, do not know how to knit and dread running into cliques. I recently stopped by one near dear daughters college and have to say it was wonderful. The owner and her fellow knitters welcomed me warmly and showed me around the shop and then let me know if I had any other questions to just ask. The store mainly has knitters but she was more than happy to offer to order me an crocheting things I might be intersted in and said that me and my hooks were more than welcome to join their knitting group.

I have always been very intimidated to go to LYS. I really do not know much about the different yarn types, do not know how to knit and dread running into cliques. I recently stopped by one near dear daughters college and have to say it was wonderful. The owner and her fellow knitters welcomed me warmly and showed me around the shop and then let me know if I had any other questions to just ask. The store mainly has knitters but she was more than happy to offer to order me an crocheting things I might be intersted in and said that me and my hooks were more than welcome to join their knitting group.

That's so wonderful! :c9

hmmmmmmmmm.... :thinkI wonder if they would be interested in opening a second store in my area! :blush:yes

thanks for the answer... Daisy where in the snow are you? I am in MI too in Oakland county

I also live in Oakland county, Did you guys know a great new store opened at 14 and main street in clawson not far from I-75. It is very crochet friendly and the owner is so nice I am so excited to have this store not far from me.

I'm sorry you felt this way in the store. I agree with some of the ladies that the people in the store were just greeting you, then letting you wander. In some of the stores I go into, after you've been wandering a bit, they'll call out to you to just let them know if you need any help. I do agree that in some LYS you can feel intimidated if you "only crochet." I don't shop in the LYS that's closest to me for that reason. I know the woman who owns it, went to school with her, graduated from high school with her. She greeted me when I first went in there when she opened asking if I'd learned to knit yet. Another time she made a point to mention that they had a beginners knitting class starting (emphasis on beginner). I asked her if she'd ever considered adding a beginning crochet class to her class list. The look I got would have melted acrylic yarn. lol So now when I want something special for a project I travel about 25 minutes from home. No snobbish comments, a very friendly staff, the kind of place you expect. My favorite LYS is 6+ hours away from where I live. It's on the way to my son's house in Maine. They greet you when you walk in. They'll wander by to show you the new stock they just got in. They'll ask what you're working on now - and yes, they know I only crochet. They ask me to bring in what I've finished to show them on my next trip up there, then they take it around to other ladies in the shop. They ask questions about crocheting, like how to make cables, or some lacy stitches & we can compare how things are worked. I've even called them when I can't find a particular yarn I need, not even online. If they have it, which they usually do, they'll ship it out to me or if I'm not in a rush for it, put it aside for me if I'll be going up that way in the next month or so. Don't feel intimidated because they don't follow you around the store making sure you can find everything, or if you have any questions. You know where they are - most likely they're a shout away & will come help. If it is more like the snobby attitude, I agree. Take your business somewhere else.

• 9 months later...

Amy S made a great point. I like to be able to browse without a salesperson hovering over me. There's a great yarn store near me that's small (some yarn is too expensive for my taste) but the owner and her husband are very friendly. I'm always wary in yarn stores because I don't knit. Well, not this store. They like crocheters and knitters alike. (The owner knits) They want you to browse without bothering you. They know I crochet and always let me know when they get new crochet books. They are just wonderful people. That's the kind of store I like.

If they greeted you that's a huge plus...you know I went on a yarn shop crawl last spring and got to visit 5 out of 8 shops that were part of the crawl. I loved all the places, the staff in each place were warm, welcoming, visited with me for a minute or two even though every place was busy because of the crawl. Now, sure, all these places first concern is knitting, but all of them from what I saw, realize that crocheters are potential customers too. There was only one shop that while it was nice and all, I was appalled by their prices...and later I found out that while they have a nice little business, there are people who live in their town that trek to my local LYS that I hang out at, because they had done away with their social knitting group...

I have yet to really have a bad experience in an LYS shop. Maybe it's just here in Washington State, I don't know...but when I go in to a shop, I end up talking about what I do, which is mostly crochet and I usually end up buying stuff too...but I've yet to have staff at an LYS shop look at me funny and tell me I couldn't buy their yarn to crochet with.

Now I do have to say that in the LYS that I hang out at weekly (usually) when I did start a knit project, oh my goodness, the regulars all but cheered...because normally I am crocheting.

And I will also say, sometimes it takes a little while to become part of the inner circle...if you keep going back, the staff will get to know you. I've been going to my place for over a year and a half...if I don't go, they now miss me, when I go back I'm welcomed back like an old friend. When I go in other times that are not social time, they are more than happy to see me.

If you want that kind of relationship, it's a two way street.

I don't mind being greeted and I don't mind suggestions, but past the greeting, I need to live in my head a bit while shopping...if I have questions, then I want some attention. I don't like hovering because it can derail me...

Archived