Crochet Tree Of Life CAL

Shaylen

Well this has to go on hold now til 2011, have to finish up wrapping and giving/sending other gifts, then there is company and visits, so time has run short.

Happy Holidays to you all, I will be back next year and promise to do pics.

Sissie I am using a natural shade, similar to an ecru for the trees, haven't picked the other colors yet.

Hope you have a Merry Christmas and enjoy all your family & friends

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I have some news, I am going to have to quit this pattern, I was making it for dh, because I gave him a new lounge chair for Christmas and he wanted a new ghan to go with it. However he didn't like this one, how it looked or felt so I have to move on to something else. Using the same yarn but designing something he likes. Maybe someday I will get to make it for me in different colors. :sigh

Can't get more yarn right now, saving to buy a dress form.

Been nice meeting you, but time to move on...

Well I have some news, I am going to have to quit this pattern, I was making it for dh, because I gave him a new lounge chair for Christmas and he wanted a new ghan to go with it. However he didn't like this one, how it looked or felt so I have to move on to something else. Using the same yarn but designing something he likes. Maybe someday I will get to make it for me in different colors. :sigh

Can't get more yarn right now, saving to buy a dress form.

Been nice meeting you, but time to move on...

Sorry he didn't like it. maybe one day you will get to try it again:) the one I am making is going to my sister-in-law. sure hope she like it!

• 1 month later...

I have just started this afghan and have a question for eveyone else who has attempted it so far (hopefully people are still reading this thread). I am noticing that the cables that make up the tree trunks are building higher than the background fabric. They are double crochet stiches, but the background is single crochet. I am only halfway through the trunks but starting to notice a significant distortion of the fabric.

Has anyone observed this? What solutions have you found? I have experimented with using a smaller hook for the cables (H rather than J), which seems to be helping, but I am not sure that will work once I start the branches.

I guess my concern is that I may be doing something wrong. I am used to FPDC and BPDC, but I don't believe I have used a pattern that alternates FPDC/BPDC the way this one does to generate the tree trunks.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

I have just started this afghan and have a question for eveyone else who has attempted it so far (hopefully people are still reading this thread). I am noticing that the cables that make up the tree trunks are building higher than the background fabric. They are double crochet stiches, but the background is single crochet. I am only halfway through the trunks but starting to notice a significant distortion of the fabric.

Has anyone observed this? What solutions have you found? I have experimented with using a smaller hook for the cables (H rather than J), which seems to be helping, but I am not sure that will work once I start the branches.

I guess my concern is that I may be doing something wrong. I am used to FPDC and BPDC, but I don't believe I have used a pattern that alternates FPDC/BPDC the way this one does to generate the tree trunks.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Perfectly normal due to the stitches. The pattern makes up for the height difference later. You're not doing anything wrong so don't worry there. I'll still be around if you have any questions.

• 1 month later...

I would love to do this...

Does anyone have some good experience with it?

Glancing through some of thread, I was feeling a bit discouraged...

Any suggestions for yarn/other?

I would love to do this...

Does anyone have some good experience with it?

Glancing through some of thread, I was feeling a bit discouraged...

Any suggestions for yarn/other?

I loved mine. It is a fairly easy pattern, but it one has to really count and pay attention. The charts were easier for me to use than the written instructions. I used 15 skeins of Vanna's Choice (3.5 oz skeins). Any worsted weight yarn you like will work, but could change the gauge some. I say, "Go for it!" If you have any problems, we'd love to help. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I used Red Heart Super Saver in Aran for the pattern (with an I hook, as on the label - my gauge was on for width but not for height - but I think I was crocheting too tight - my first time doing post stitches!). Once I washed the finished piece it was very soft! Took a little more than one skein.

Instead of doing the whole afghan, I simply made one tree motif. I added stitches on either side of the tree to make the motif square (it was a little off - too many - but I fixed it with more rows on top and bottom later). It ended up being a little big for a 14" pillow, but I'm really happy with it. I did an envelope back with mostly hdc (the edge that shows I did a wave pattern). If anyone wants to see I'll post a couple of photos.

One thing that did help me was to use more counters to keep track of stitches. I usually put them either 10 or 15 stitches from either end of each tree motif, but sometimes I moved them so they would be a little further from the branches.

The diagram helped a LOT; also one of the first times I've really referred to the diagram instead of the written pattern.

Oh, and it took about a week (while watching tv, haha!)

I'm thinking I might do this for friends expecting a baby soon but I'm not sure if all the bumpiness of the trunks will be a good idea for a newborn...

hey all :waving

just wondering who all is still participating in this CAL - if you all have finished or if we have some still in progress??

i'm asking because today i fell in love:heart with this pattern & i'd love to join in & have friends to chat with on it! i've always known about the knit version...no idea how i let this crochet version slip past me for so long!

just wondering who all is still participating in this CAL - if you all have finished or if we have some still in progress??

i'm asking because today i fell in love:heart with this pattern & i'd love to join in & have friends to chat with on it! i've always known about the knit version...no idea how i let this crochet version slip past me for so long!

I think most of us are done. If you want to join and chat though, I'll definitely be around to answer any questions.

I am still working on mine slowly LOL! I am making mine for my sister-In-Law and it is for her king size bed so it is big! I am just now coming into the panel between the trees. not sure weather to go by pattern or do like my sister did and change it:)

will try to get a pic posted soon of how far I have gotten.

you will enjoy making it:)

I used Red Heart Super Saver in Aran for the pattern (with an I hook, as on the label - my gauge was on for width but not for height - but I think I was crocheting too tight - my first time doing post stitches!). Once I washed the finished piece it was very soft! Took a little more than one skein.

Instead of doing the whole afghan, I simply made one tree motif. I added stitches on either side of the tree to make the motif square (it was a little off - too many - but I fixed it with more rows on top and bottom later). It ended up being a little big for a 14" pillow, but I'm really happy with it. I did an envelope back with mostly hdc (the edge that shows I did a wave pattern). If anyone wants to see I'll post a couple of photos.

One thing that did help me was to use more counters to keep track of stitches. I usually put them either 10 or 15 stitches from either end of each tree motif, but sometimes I moved them so they would be a little further from the branches.

The diagram helped a LOT; also one of the first times I've really referred to the diagram instead of the written pattern.

Oh, and it took about a week (while watching tv, haha!)

I'm thinking I might do this for friends expecting a baby soon but I'm not sure if all the bumpiness of the trunks will be a good idea for a newborn...

Would love to see photos:)) I am not sure about doing this for a baby would not be my first choice but in the end it is what you want to make:)

I am in need of getting started on 3 baby blankets!! was 2 till yesterday LOL

lord all these kids having babies!!

I am still working on mine slowly LOL! I am making mine for my sister-In-Law and it is for her king size bed so it is big! I am just now coming into the panel between the trees. not sure weather to go by pattern or do like my sister did and change it:)

will try to get a pic posted soon of how far I have gotten.

you will enjoy making it:)

Oh wow - KING size?!!:eek Would LOVE to see a pic of it! Wish you were my SIL, LOL!:lol

Oh wow - KING size?!!:eek Would LOVE to see a pic of it! Wish you were my SIL, LOL!:lol

and if I were you would be waiting for a year now :lol:lol:lol

they have fancy things so I wanted something different what was I thinking!!:eek

My sister Shay has started another one and I really like the center panel she is doing on this one and think it is what I am going to use also.

This is a pic of the new one that Shay is making, showing us the new center panel she is making in this one. we tried to upload it herself but for some reason it wouldn't work for her. so here goes:) It has been a while since I have done it!

post-3520-135897699081_thumb.jpg

post-3520-135897699084_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

This is the same afghan I finished around this time last year, but the picture I posted was horrible. While I was at my mom's for Thanksgiving, I got a better picture. I'm seriously considering starting another one for myself. I don't know if I want to risk kitty claw snags on something that takes so much work. I really did enjoy making it though. Maybe one day....

post-28827-135897714396_thumb.jpg

Hey Nicole I just printed out the pattern. How difficult is this to make?

It's labeled "experienced". I personally would have called it "intermediate". If you can sc and do post stitches, you'll be fine. The hardest part is all of the counting and making sure you don't put a sc and a post stitch in the same stitch. If you can follow a diagram easily, it will be helpful, but not absolutely required. Once you get into the branch sections of the trees, it's easy to get lost in the words. I used the diagram exclusively in those parts.

This definitely isn't a mindless "crochet while you watch tv" kind of pattern. It was a lot of fun though. It's the only afghan I haven't gotten bored with 1/3 of the way through.

I have decided I want to make another. We can crochet along together! :) I think I'm going to make the tree sections and the middle section different colors. Then do the border in the middle section color. :think

Nicole that is pretty! I am still working on mine fixing to dig it back out as soon as I have Christmas out of the way. Need to get this done by March so I can take it to my Brother-in-law when we go Visit.

I am just now starting the Panel part. what is taking me so long if I am making it big enough for a king bed:eek (What was I thinking?:think)

Deb, Nicole is right you should be able to do this one Just not in front of the TV. all counting. Let us know if you decide to do it, what colors will you use?

Archived