Can anyone tell me WHY?

There was something on Lion Brand about this awhile back. I like the deer and the bear rug, but I don't care for the lawnmower or the urinal. :? But I guess it's just a matter of artistic taste, right?

I noticed that he said he crocheted the base for the rug, and then latch-hooked the fur. It looks like he did that with the deer, too. I really prefer stitched dead-heads over real ones. When I saw the dead-heads the first time, there was something else - maybe an antelope? I sent the pics to my DH and told him that if he still wanted dead-heads in the house, I could try to make him some. He didn't reply. :rofl

I think the answer to "why?" is that it is art, and one of its purposes is to make people think:think, so in that way at least it is doing its job:lol. It isn't intended to have a function beyond that. I think it's cool that crochet is being used to create pure art. That doesn't mean I love these pieces or would want to hang them on my wall and look at them every day....but I like the fact that crochet is being used as a medium for modern art.

The urinal as art was first done by Marcel Duchamp in 1917 http://www.centrepompidou.fr/education/ressources/ENS-duchamp_en/ENS-duchamp_en.html and it looks like its whole purpose was to make a statement and make people think. There is also Claes Oldenburg's Soft Toilet http://whitney.org/Collection/ClaesOldenburg/7983ab As you can see, these are in major museums, so they are officially "Art"......

Gwen Blakely Kinsler, who founded the Crochet Guild of America, has posted on Ravelry that she is working on a book about crochet artists, which will include N. Vincent. that should be an interesting read!

Creative? -Definitely.

Thought provoking? -Evident here.

Inspirational? -As I type, textile artist's minds are ticking.

Fun? -A hoot.

Skilled? More than many (more than me).

A 'urinal-cozy'?...definitely out of the box, but perhaps with the flood of toilet-tank covers out there, there's a niche for such a stitch...

Me? -I'm either going to stick with the mittens I'm working on.....Orrrr, crochet a shovel for all the snowflakes that Anna (Apak) and others make! :lol

Edit: For the record I love, love, love all those beautifully crocheted snowflakes!!!! :yes

I totally get it. I may not like all of it but I get it. As you can see from my avatar it is not a matter of like or dislike it’s a mater of expressing creativity and just because we can. It’s about what is fun and imaginative to us. I say if it speaks to you go for it. Not everyone is going to like everything you do but as long as you like it that is all that really matters.

I think his creations are a "hoot"! :yes They made me smile when I saw them! Would I be inspired to make them? No. But, I'm not inspired to crochet amigurumi or little crocheted "sweets" either. But, to each his own!!! Happy crocheting everyone! :hook

I think it's great!!!! How creative!!!! And from a guy..... it's really hysterical how their minds work. We think toiletpaper cozy and they think urinal. How funny is that.

Talent is talent and no matter what he creates, he still had to put lots of thought, effort and time into making his creations........ same as us with ours.

I applaud him for what he did.... and for the fact of having a showing of his items. Would love to find out where and when his show will be and try to get there to see it.

I think his creations are a "hoot"! :yes They made me smile when I saw them! Would I be inspired to make them? No. But, I'm not inspired to crochet amigurumi or little crocheted "sweets" either. But, to each his own!!! Happy crocheting everyone! :hook

I agree totally.

Archived