My pin cushions

Neat passel of pincushions, Janet!!! It sounds like you're having fun at the sewing machine -Nice work!

That's something I hope to do one day, find a good used sewing machine to see what I could do on it... at the very least, it would make sewing fabric liners for crocheted purses a much quicker task than doing them by hand. Thank you for sharing!

I like your pincushions, Janet. I've made a few of those myself in the past and I found that the fiberfill causes pins to rust. :think I was wondering what other material might be good for stuffing them. How do those split peas work out?

I like your pincushions, Janet. I've made a few of those myself in the past and I found that the fiberfill causes pins to rust. :think I was wondering what other material might be good for stuffing them. How do those split peas work out?

The snow blanket is made of 100% pure virgin polyester so I dont know if it will cause the pins to rust. Only time will tell!!!

The split peas were recommended to me and they work out fine - I guess!! These are the firsts one that I have ever made so none of them are old or have been used

I have made several pincushions using a variety of patterns, some that I more or less made up my own design. I usually use polyester stuffing but I think cotton stuffing would be a little more dense and suitable for a pin cushion. I have never heard of using split peas before. If I were to use it I would mix it with some other stuffing material. Sawdust is sometimes used as a filling and would keep the pins sharp. Yarn clippings, tiny cut up scraps of felt and scraps of fabric are also good stuffing materials. However even if you use any of these Other materials, I suggest that a layer of cotton or polyester stuffing surround it as it will make for a smoother feel to the pin cushion.

Very pretty you did a nice job on them. I use fiberfill for the little ones I make and I never heard that it would make the pins rust - why would that be nothing is wet?

I've always wondered the same thing! I just know that the tomato pincushions you buy don't do this but the ones I stuffed with fiberfill do. Maybe the fiberfill attracts moisture from the environment. :think

Your pincushions are wonderful. I was gifted one like that and it feels like the bottom half is filled with something like split peas, and the top half is filled with a soft, but dense material, similar to fiberfill, but not as spongy. It doesn't feel like fiberfill, but it could be cotton. I've had it for a couple of years, and haven't had any pins rust.

Archived