40 years of experience and I still do this!

I'm so mad at myself!:angry My husband wanted a sweater for the bat cave (his den). I chose His and Her Outdoor Sweaters by Bendy Carter, ordered the yarn and got to work. :crocheting The trouble is, Paul wanted a cardigan and I forgot about the mismatch that self-striping yarn makes when you try to match two fronts. It's virtually impossible to control the color changes so I thought I'd just let it be what it was. Bad idea :(! The stripes were just off enough to make the whole thing look goofy. :eek In the end, I decided to write my own pattern and work it side-to-side. Not sure how good that will look in a man's sweater... More on my blog.

Thank you, Darski. It's coming along. I had to frog the whole thing and am almost finished the second version. When it's done, I'll write out the pattern since there are so few patterns for men around especially cardigans. My husband is a bit of an old fogie :blush.

I always look forward to your projects. Thanks for sharing the pattern and great pictures. I enjoyed visiting your very interesting blog too.

:hook

Have you ever tried steeking, like knitters do? They deliberately knit in the round, especially on stripes, making a place up the center front to cut later. Once cut, button bands are knitted on. Some people say it is the easiest way to go!

Love the look so far. I like that stripe pattern.

Have you ever tried steeking, like knitters do? They deliberately knit in the round, especially on stripes, making a place up the center front to cut later. Once cut, button bands are knitted on. Some people say it is the easiest way to go!

I don't know if I would work in one piece and then cut it. Might work for knit work (I don't know) but not crochet (I think).

Actually working in one piece might have worked too. Wroking from one side to the other side. For example, right front to back (without cutting yarn) work back to left front (without cutting). One piece. Of coruse you have the top to deal with, but less stitches.

Debbi

How frustrating, Roli, to have come so far and not have the striping cooperate. I love your yarn choice, though, and really look forward to seeing how your new sweater comes together. Thank you for sharing your lesson learned, Roli...We all benefit. :hug

I matched stripes for socks before. You need at least one extra ball of yarn (for socks). I looked at the pattern repeat and pulled the yarn from the skein to the beginning of the color I started with...I'm having difficulty describing this... but start at the same place of the color repeat in the yarn for the second one.

I matched stripes for socks before. You need at least one extra ball of yarn (for socks). I looked at the pattern repeat and pulled the yarn from the skein to the beginning of the color I started with...I'm having difficulty describing this... but start at the same place of the color repeat in the yarn for the second one.

I did the same thing with a dog sweater I just made- it took an extra skein but it matched up, for the most part.

Sorry to hear about your striping mishap, Roli. At least the second take is working out for you! I love that pattern, thanks for sharing.

Your own version worked out beautifully! I love it! :c9

Sorry you had to frog so much before you found the problem with the yarn. On the positive side it shows less experienced crocheters that even crocheters with years of experience have to frog sometimes too! I've been crocheting off & on for over 25 yrs & find myself frogging occasionally too. Over some of the simplest mistakes, or being lazy & watching tv while I crochet & skipping a stitch lol! It's so frustrating to frog but we all do it sometimes don't we?

Archived