Your crochet hints and tips

Hi everyone I just joined the ville yesterday and I don't know if something like this has been done but I would like to start a thread about little tricks and things you do to make your crocheting world easier.

For example I always had little pieces of yarn all over the floor from the ends that I cut after weaving in or what not. With an 8 month old I had to come up with something to keep them under control, so I took and empty formula can and cut an X in the lid now when I cut my ends I just stick them in there, it has really fixed my problem.

I am looking forward to hear about the things you do that I haven't thought of that could make my crocheting easier.

You can do the same with yarn. Put the yarn in a can, cut a small hole in the lid & thread the yarn through to keep it clean & away from little hands (also keeps the yarn clean).

I keep stitch markers & yarn needles in an altoid tin.

Keep the pattern you are using in a plastic sheet protector (found in the school supplies section of dollar stores. You cna even write notes on the plastic.

Cute eyeglass cases are great for holding your hooks.

We have an older house with pocket doors separating the "sitting room" from the "dining room". The "sitting room" is our living room and with me, my DH, three dogs and two cats, it's pretty crowded - in other words there's no room for me to spread out my crocheting.

I use a magazine holder to keep my yarn and needles out of the way of everyone and I can carry it with me from room to room if I want. It also limits my projects to one at a time because it only holds so much. This is what I mean, although mine is canvas and wood, not the scrolled iron...also from IKEA.

post-22989-135897449848_thumb.jpg

We have an older house with pocket doors separating the "sitting room" from the "dining room". The "sitting room" is our living room and with me, my DH, three dogs and two cats, it's pretty crowded - in other words there's no room for me to spread out my crocheting.

I use a magazine holder to keep my yarn and needles out of the way of everyone and I can carry it with me from room to room if I want. It also limits my projects to one at a time because it only holds so much. This is what I mean, although mine is canvas and wood, not the scrolled iron...also from IKEA.

[ATTACH]8885[/ATTACH]

This is a great idea, I think I am going to do this, I put project on the lamp table beside the recliner and it always ends up in the floor. Thanks for the idea!!

i like to use sticky notes to help me keep track of where i am in a pattern. i also keep a pencil nearby (i always keep one with my hooks) to jot down any notes on it for the next time i made the pattern.

i generally keep my WIPs out as I'm working on them, but if i need to stash them away for any reason, i use the plastic zippered pouches bedding comes in. i have a few of different sizes that i saved for this reason, and since you can fold them up they don't take up a lot of space when they aren't being used. since they are see-through, no guessing as to what project is in which bag, and since the bags are relatively square/rectangular, they stack pretty well too:tup

I'll link in an older thread, which I started not so long ago, just in case someone wants it.

"Things you do to make your crocheting easier"

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=102351

My latest, which helped tremendously, was to go through all my yarns and threads. Put them in an order I could live with, and gave away some I knew I probably wouldn't use. It's odd to give yarn away which I like, but it seemed the right thing to do. It's nice to have the supply closet be orderly!

It's nice to read of how others work.

For those of you who make clothing or even items with motifs that must be joined, I had always had a problem pinning pieces together without the pins falling out. Now I use those tiny claw clip for little girls' hair. Just be sure to buy the ones with smooth claws or else they can snag your work.

Wax paper. Wipe your hooks down whenever they start to lose their slip.

Thanks for the great hint, I was always having to get up and get a paper towel to do that and that always didn't work. Now, I will cut me a piece of wax paper and keep it in my bag!

Wax paper. Wipe your hooks down whenever they start to lose their slip.

This is a great idea, hadn't thought of it...and I used to work in a retail store where we rubbed the clothes racks with wax paper so that the hangars would slide easily.

I use sticky notes and a pencil to keep track of where I am in a pattern and to make notes if I change up a pattern

I keep my little pattern books in a binder in sheet protectors.

I go through all of my supplies frequently and purge patterns and yarn to charity that I wont be able to use.

I keep my current project in a basket that I can take with me in car rides with hubby

I store yarn in waiting in air bags

I love to read others' helpful hints. As to the wax paper on wooden hooks, I think it works even better on them. I keep a piece of wax paper in my bag at all times. People do look at me oddly when I pull it out and start rubbing my hook.

I keep at least a couple of clothes pins near at hand. When I have to pull a hook out and use it somewhere else, I snap one in the loop so it won't unravel. If it is not a usual pattern, I can mark the needle size on the clothes pin. Another of the many uses I put clothes pins to-when I have to lay my current project down, I clip the clothes pin on to the hook and place I am at, at the same time. That way I don't have to search for my hook if it falls out and no unraveling.

This was a bit of an investment, seeing as I tend to have so many WIPs, but I equip each WIP bag with everything I need -- hooks, stitch markers, safety pins, tapestry needles for weaving in ends, scissors, tape measure, pencil and pen, etc. -- so that when I grab a bag and go out the door, I have everything needed for the project.

I also finally made myself a bag for the my crochet hooks that I'm not using and keep it in a central location. No more scrounging around in my plastic yarn bins trying to find a hook... :lol

I did not go thru n read them all but I do not use stich markers.. I just Keep the twisty ties from my loafs of bread and they become my stich markers... or row counters... I jsnip each bread tie in half.. and keep them in a sandwich bag in my yarn bag

I keep all my printed and store tear off patterns in a pocket folder.

Keep all my online patterns in a folder on my desktop marked Crochet stuff

I also keep all my small balls of yarn in my Daughters Rolling backpack(they banned them in her school so i had to get her a new backpack).. so her roller is now my yarn bag.. I keep my hooks in the side pocket. and small scraps in another.

I use a large tote bag for Unballed up yarn.. and a smaller bag for current projects i take with me.

and my fav.. I have the ville on my browser toolbar for quick access :)

• 2 months later...

Since I am new to crocheting this might seems silly to some but i decided to use pipe cleaners for stitch markers. I didnt like the little roundy things that came in my crochet kit and i wanted something that was easy and bendable. These work real well. I take a standard pipt cleaner and cut into (4) stitch markers. Its nice to bend them down over my completed work and they dont get in the way.

:clap

I use the containers for pull-up wipes to put yarn in now. Just thread the yarn through the hole where the wipes come out, and you're in business. Keeps yarn clean and off the floor.

Just be sure to wash the container really well before using.

:manyheart

• 1 month later...

:ty for all the tips, everyone. There are some great ideas in here.

My tip would be to always wind your yarn into a ball before starting a project. That way there are no surprise tangles to worry about.

I use the containers for pull-up wipes to put yarn in now. Just thread the yarn through the hole where the wipes come out, and you're in business. Keeps yarn clean and off the floor.

Just be sure to wash the container really well before using.

:manyheart

This was my favorite tip, It's been my pet peeve when crocheting and I never thought of that. Thanks.

I never heard of wiping the hook with wax paper, another great tip. :hook

I always make a copy of a new pattern.

On the copy I mark with yellow the parts I need (my size count and such). Then I use another colour and mark over when I've done a part.

This way I never have to search the pattern.

Archived