Yarn Buying Strike...anyone?

JessicaRenee520

Heather414

I may have to "cave". I went to Michael's to pick up some decorator frosting for my ds's b-day and they gave me a coupon for 20% off my entire purchase valid the 20th - 26th. I think I lasted a couple of days anyway.

Purchasing yarn is good for the economy! (that's my story and I'm stick'n to it!)

----->Haha! Thus far I have avoided Michaels....

srhncl

I am finding this harder to do than I thought I would. I have just started a RR using my leftovers I have, and I have enough to make a blanket... oh I don't know, probably big enough to cover a football field. But I am already bored with this and am dieing to start on another MAM from by book (8 down, 22 to go). But I am refraining from buying anymore...for now. Good luck to all who are trying.

--->Yes, it is very very hard....

basjordan

Well, I made it through day 1 just fine. But today I will need to kill an hour near a couple of craft stores... Wish me luck!

--->Good Luck! I hope you were successful with your strike!

~Elise~

I've been sorely tempted, I will admit. But, I've held strong, so far anyway. On ebay, there is some absolutely gorgeous hand painted cottons. (do I NEED them, NO. Do I lust after them, ****, yes! Get thee behind me, ebay seller)

--->Great Job on staying steady!

catdragon

i am having a hard time resisting -i am currently doing the audio CAL in a test yarn that i had one skein of while trying to find the yarn i intend to use in my stash. it looks so good in the test yarn i feel the need to get a second skein so i will have enough to finish in this yarn as well as use my intended yarn (alpaca sock weight from my oldest girl) next weekend will be even worse as it is the first show of our season and there is a great store in albaquerque where we are going for show - last time i was there i "only" spent $300 (ouch..ouch..ouch), but part of that was books and drop spindles (i collect them as well as use them)

--->May the force be with you on your trip :-)

Mandii

I've been doing great, haven't bought a single skein, I was cleaning my room though and found a box of yarn I forgot I had, better than shopping!

--->GREAT Job Mandii!! Isn't it amazing to see what WE ACUTUALLY HAVE...I cleaned out my yarn stash last month and was amazed at what I had.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry about the funny way to reply the messeges. For somereason, all the "fun" buttons in the Advanced reply are not working for me :-). When I tried to update the list, I saw all of the code in the messege, so to update the list, I just winged it copy/pasted to add the new people.

Well, this yarn buying thing is definatly hard. Yesterday we went to a festival in a neighbourhood near ours, and my husband pointed out a local yarn store, GAVE ME MONEY, and said to go check it out while he and his parents stayed outside and watched the bagpiper with our daughter. Yikes!!!! So, I found the March/April (I think...it is in the other room) issues of Crochet Today! that had a couple of patterns I was interested in, so I purchased that instead. (I got a subscription for my birthday in May, so I didn't have this one!) I mean, how often does a husband fork over cash and say "go have fun". I told my husband that my daughter and I would make a trip of it one day....(In a few weeks LOL)

today worked out ok for me. we went down to the farm and worked on leading - for 2 of the alpacas this was their first lesson and we usually start earlier but with all the rain this has been our first chance. we had a regular rodeo! DeeDee and George (the first timers) were totally different DeeDee wanted to go vertical and George wanted to lay down! Dixie just didn't want to go anywhere until i got creative and then she was leading me as much as i was her. because we were doing this i didn't get anywhere near a store with yarn (not even the Dollar Store or Big Lots)

i think i can keep it under control at least till we get to Albaquerque . then if we get in and set-up it's off to Village Wools where i will be tempted. fortunately it is an 8 hour + drive from here to there and we may get in too late. this show is part of the New Mexico State Fair and is always fun because there is so much to see at their fair. it is much better and more varied than the oklahoma state fair (they run at the same time and i would rather go to NM than OK even though i am only 10 miles from the fairgrounds here in OK) unfortunately in the same barn the local spinners and weavers have a consignment shop where they sell yarn. so it will be 3 days of challenge not to buy yarn

Hey ladies :) I did well over the weekend. No yarn purchases for me. Although instead of buying yarn I bought things for sewing and a tape measure as I lost my other one. this is good though as now that I bought these few things I will finish up a couple sewing things I had started. :) I am also more likely to finish up these wips I have started.

Elise - Sound like you are doing well! Try to resist the Ebay temptation!

Mandii - Hooray for found yarn! How exciting!

JessicaRenee - I admire your will power when your husband gave you money! :faint And what a great idea to buy a magazine instead of yarn :clap

Mary - Not going anywhere is a great strategy :rofl

catdragon - It sounds like you will be very busy! Good luck staying away from the wool while in NM.

Goofy - :clap for you too! You are right, this is a great opportunity for us to catch up on WIPs.

I've been staying away from yarn shops and have plenty of WIPs and stash to keep me busy. I just need to stay focused.

Hmmph....don't like how the yarn I bought for a Kitties in a Row afghan is going together. It is a worsted weight and seems so bulky as I've been working on socks or baby things for months. First time I've used Deborah Norville's yarns (caught a great sale) and it is very soft. Pattern is more open than I expected and those little paws take a lot of yarn. The colors would work for a 'ghan for DH but have frogged two different pattern starts over the weekend. Think I'll have to just leave it alone for a day or two and let the frustration cool then rethink a pattern. So.......tempting to look for another yarn for the Kitties in a Row but not until after my 30 day ban. Lets see....I'm on Day 4 and have 26 days to go!

Hi Ladies!

Miss_Scarlet-Good luck with the rest of the 30 days!

Catdragon-Sounds like you had your hands full with animals today! Good luck on your major trip. (By the way, the local spinners/weavers consignment yarn shop sounds really interesting!)

Goofy-good job on not purchasing yarn this weekend!

Colleenka-You have some sage advice for not buying yarn “staying away from yarn shops”

Wendyb532-Welcome! As soon as I finish this post, I am adding you to the list. Good luck with your endeavor!

Needle_Arts-So sorry your kitty afghan is not working out. May the force be with you as you try to wait on purchasing new yarn to complete it!

Srhncl-Brave soul TOUCHING the yarn!

So, for me, this “yarn buying strike” has really gotten me in the mood to crochet again. You know, when you finish up a major project, sometimes it is hard to get focused and decide what to work on next. By only using the yarn at hand (and admittedly, I have amassed 3 three drawer roller carts as well as 2 XXL giant zipper bags full YIKES!) I have felt compelled to follow the yarn (yes, that sounded cheesy). However, my basic point is to see what I think that yarn could become, then make it. I am also trying to use up those “special skeins (great deal, beautiful color, but not a whole heck of a lot of it.) I am having lots of fun probing around to see what all I can accomplish during this month! Good luck to everyone, and I hope this is a satisfying cal for you!

P.S.

Here is a baby set I made with a “lonely” skein of yarn!

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=105109

So far so good. I haven't been anywhere near a craft store. I haven't even gone to Wal Mart. I have a bit of a problem though. My best friend has been working at Hobby Lobby for about 4 months. They just transfered her to needlework. That department is now her baby. She gets to do all the ordering and marking down of clearance items. She knows I am on a buying freeze but it's hard for her not to mention the goodies. This is going to be more difficult than I thought.

Good job to everyone who is "resisting"!

JessicaRenee, your baby set is beautiful. I also like to let the :yarn and :hook tell me what to make. There are endless possibilities in one's yarn stash. I would love to see everyone's pics!

Beth - As for gift yarn :think You are not technically buying it.... Could your friend hold onto it until October 19th? That could be your reward! Better yet, have her send it to me :rofl

I am still staying away from the yarn stores and doing just great! I'm actually trying to cut down on all my shopping for the next few weeks. Christmas shopping will come too soon!

Day 7 and counting. Keep getting e-mails of yarn sales. Wonder if this is how it feels to quit smoking?

:roflYep! It's like being on a diet and working in a bakery!!! I was SO tempted to join this (and sure would have made hubby happy) but I didn't and it was a good thing too! I would have had to do the walk of shame for catching marked down yarn at Meijers ~ it was Caron Simply Soft Shades in like a pinkie/mauvey color.....:drool I couldn't pass it up! When I brought it home and told my hubby about it he started laughing at me. He asked me if I felt sorry for it because it was marked down and didn't want to leave it by itself! Gotta love the sense of humor!

I knew I could not join this, my husband is an enabler. Yesterday I came home with Orange and dark green yarn to make pumpkins and told him about some black on clearance at the store. He wanted to know why I did not buy it and told me to stop on the way home tonight to get it! I try, I really do...........

I am so excited, just when I thought I was going to break!! I went through some yarn I had stashed (aka, hidden) a while ago and found 6 balls of cotton yarn that I got on clearance over a year ago!! This will for sure get me through the rest of my "sentence", and now I can try out my new pattern.:clap

Sarah - That is fantastic that you found that cotton and can try your new pattern! Who needs to shop with so many surprises hiding in one's stash?

Mary - WTG just looking at Walmart. :clap

Needle Arts - WTG on day 7! You just delete those e-mails. There will be sales when you are done your strike!

EMedley - 2 weeks! WTG!

This strike has got me thinking a lot about what I have in my stash and scraps and today I made up a quick scarf with some Baby Clouds I had leftover from another project. I will donate it to a local winter clothing drive.

Archived