Yarn Buying Strike...anyone?

JessicaRenee520

Hi you all. I am so impressed at how many of you have joined in!

I know the economy is tough, and most everyone is feeling the pinch of the rough economic times. My thoughts and prayers are with all of those strugaling to cope. :hug

At the request of Goofy in Post 13, I have made a list on post 2 of everyone who has joined in so far! (If I have missed someone, let me know!!)

Smile today, and let someone know they are loved!

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

So I finished my first project while on my yarn strike! I feel a nice sense of accomplishment as I used all but a few inches of one lonely skein purchased on clearence. It was patons Stretch Socks in a black/grey varigated. I used a 4.5 mm hook, and I made up the pattern myself. It is also my first attempt at doll clothes. :clap

post-19233-135897449752_thumb.jpg

I greatly admire your spunk, and yes most of the corners in my house have been rounded by plastic bags of yarn two or three feet tall, and I highly admire and agree with the sentiment, but please, please tell my what to do when you just “HAPPEN” To find yourself in, lets just call it a hobby shop, and there right by the checkout, some spawn of Satan has placed a bin containing several balls of a perfectly lovely yarn marked down from $5.00 each to just a buck, what is one to do?

John Hablinski, Corpus Christi, Texas, USA

JHablinski

I greatly admire your spunk, and yes most of the corners in my house have been rounded by plastic bags of yarn two or three feet tall, and I highly admire and agree with the sentiment, but please, please tell my what to do when you just “HAPPEN” To find yourself in, lets just call it a hobby shop, and there right by the checkout, some spawn of Satan has placed a bin containing several balls of a perfectly lovely yarn marked down from $5.00 each to just a buck, what is one to do?

JHablinski-You are too silly. Personally, this has been a major concern for me. Thus far, I have avoided any shops with yarn, although I don't know how well that method will work for the next 27 days lol!

:cheerHere Here!!

yarn strike to even say the words makes me shudder you see I have an addiction to yarn whether it be cotton or acrylic I go any where and I don't know how but a skein or 30 fall in my cart or I pick up a skein and just carry it around yeah thats no good cause it comes home with me to and besides what would my :cats have to play with if I didn't buy any yarn for 30 days I wish you all the best of luck

I may have to "cave". I went to Michael's to pick up some decorator frosting for my ds's b-day and they gave me a coupon for 20% off my entire purchase valid the 20th - 26th. I think I lasted a couple of days anyway.

Purchasing yarn is good for the economy!:lol(that's my story and I'm stick'n to it!) :D

I am finding this harder to do than I thought I would. I have just started a RR using my leftovers I have, and I have enough to make a blanket... oh I don't know, probably big enough to cover a football field. But I am already bored with this and am dieing to start on another MAM from by book (8 down, 22 to go). But I am refraining from buying anymore...for now. Good luck to all who are trying.:D

I am finding this harder to do than I thought I would. I have just started a RR using my leftovers I have, and I have enough to make a blanket... oh I don't know, probably big enough to cover a football field. But I am already bored with this and am dieing to start on another MAM from by book (8 down, 22 to go). But I am refraining from buying anymore...for now. Good luck to all who are trying.:D

WTG so far! You can do it! :cheer

Well, I made it through day 1 just fine. :sweatBut today I will need to kill an hour near a couple of craft stores... Wish me luck!

Good luck Beth! I have "go to Michael's" on my to do list today because they have their fall decorations on sale. Maybe not such a good idea :think

I may have to "cave". I went to Michael's to pick up some decorator frosting for my ds's b-day and they gave me a coupon for 20% off my entire purchase valid the 20th - 26th. I think I lasted a couple of days anyway.

Purchasing yarn is good for the economy!:lol(that's my story and I'm stick'n to it!) :D

OK, maybe I shouldn't go to Michael's :rofl

I've been sorely tempted, I will admit. But, I've held strong, so far anyway. On ebay, there is some absolutely gorgeous hand painted cottons. (do I NEED them, NO. Do I lust after them, ****, yes! Get thee behind me, ebay seller)

Elise

i am having a hard time resisting -i am currently doing the audio CAL in a test yarn that i had one skein of while trying to find the yarn i intend to use in my stash. it looks so good in the test yarn i feel the need to get a second skein so i will have enough to finish in this yarn as well as use my intended yarn (alpaca sock weight from my oldest girl) next weekend will be even worse as it is the first show of our season and there is a great store in albaquerque where we are going for show - last time i was there i "only" spent $300 (ouch..ouch..ouch), but part of that was books and drop spindles (i collect them as well as use them)

I've been doing great, haven't bought a single skein, I was cleaning my room though and found a box of yarn I forgot I had, better than shopping!

Welcome to basjordan, catdragon, kraftynkrazy, colleenka, and miss_scarlet!

Good luck to all of you as we are on this journey!!

catdragon-spinning your own yarn (from your own alpacas!) Wow, now that is dedication! Whatever you decide on that one is up to you!

Personally, I have been thinking of attempting to make some "plan" to try make a mat for our front door now that the rainy wheather is upon us!

Archived