Yarn Buying Strike...anyone?

JessicaRenee520

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

kraftynkrazy - I can understand. There's too much yarn out there calling us!!!

Colleen - I love baby clouds! What color is the scarf? It must be so soft and warm...:c9 What a lovely gift!

srhncl - What colors did you pick for your next afghan? What pattern will you be using?

Mary - great will power! I am proud of you for resisting the siren song of Wally World!

Needle Arts - Keep up the good work! It's so hard to see those naughty e-mails... But we can DO this!!!:cheer

Beth - It is mint green with a little bit of a pale blue stripe. I love how soft and cozy Baby Clouds is, but I must say it isn't the easiest to work with. I hope this will be a nice soft cozy scarf for some little one who needs one.

Gwenny46-Wow, that must have been difficult for you to pass up a JoAnn’s Outlet store! (I have never heard of one of those before). Good Job on staying strong.

Basjordan-You have a very generous friend! Colleenka had an interesting idea of asking your friend to hold it. However, as the CAL was called a yarn BUYING strike, I don’t see how that it would be wrong to accept your friend’s generosity.

Jeniferelyse74-How very strong you are being with such inside information from your friend who works a Hobby Lobby. Keep up the good work!

Emedely-Great Job so far!

Colleenka-Great job on staying out of yarn stores, and good luck with cutting back on all of your shopping for a bit.

Srhncl-Keep strong! So happy you found cotton in your stash. Isn’t it amazing what is ACTUALLY there as opposed to what we THINK is there!

Needle_Art-Those sale emails are the worst! I have been avoiding them. However I wanted to see if Hobby Lobby had a certain (NON crochet item for sale OR a 40 % coupon) and I saw they have a yarn I have been admiring for quite some time on sale. I shouldn’t have opened that email.

Miss_scarlet-You must be very strong if you can look at a yarn and not buy! Keep up the good work. 

Collenka-Fantastic Job on using up yarn, especially for charity. Thank you also for being such a cheerleader for this CAL :cheer

KraftynKrazy-Our thoughts are with you as we all know how difficult it is to be on a yarn buying strike.

Hi everyone interseting cal:think

I am also in the yarn addicts cal and stash busting cal, but have not been doing alot of knitting or crochet lately to post my scores.

I love yarn and have it coming out of my ears, there is no more room anywhere to put any unless get rid of what I have.

I did have to buy some the other week as making baby blankets for my sisters friends, have made a pink and cream rr and curently working on a blue and cream blanket.

I would like to set my goal for 30 days at the moment and add to it once those 30 days are up.

Need to get out my stash and see what I can make, have a few xmas gifts to make so might use some up that way and also doing the 12 scarfs of 2009.

Idealy I would like to clear 1 of my big draws of yarn before I buy any more, but it's all so pretty:devil

with all you do krazy-kitty this cal should help reduce your stash

Mary - way to go - look and not buy!

today i get a break as i will be working with the alpacas all day, tomorrow is when it gets dangerous. if we get into Albuquerque early enough there is the consignment shop at the barn and Village Wools in town. 3 days of serious temptation. will let you now how it goes when i get back home (sometime Monday)

joanieponytail,

Welcome aboard! Good luck with your endevor to last to the end of the year!

Thanks. We moved a few months ago and I was shocked by how much yarn I have. It sure looks different when you have to pack it up and then unpack it in the new home, coming up with new places to stash it all.

Anyway, the packing made me decide that I am not keeping the old afghans in the hideous color combinations (nothing wrong with the individual colors, just the combinations). So two have been frogged and used with each other and other yarns to make two kitchen rugs. The shorter bits (less than ten yards) have been used to make swiffer covers. Love them.

Welcome aboard krazy-kitty and Jempest! Glad to have you. Good luck with your strikes!

Catdragon-may the force be with you tomorrow in Albuquerque

Joanieponytail-My husband and I are looking to move within the year, and thusly I need to decrease my stash. It is very clever of you to frog old afghans for yarn, but it must be a bit sad knowing how much effort you put into them. Good luck with your strike.

Well, I haven't been anywhere the last couple of days due to the rain! (Rain for two solid weeks...and don't want to get the baby out in it.) Sigh. However, will be going to get my daughter's photo taken today near the Hobby Lobby, 45 minutes away. I once heard it said that Hobby Lobby is like Michael's on steriods. LOL. Must be good. :-)

Hey ladies! No yarn buying for me but I did use up some making a hat for dd! I had a partial skein that I used enough of to roll into a ball. Feel good to use some up! And as our house is for sale I keep thinking I don't want to move all that yarn! :)

WTG to everyone who is having a successful strike. :yay

Brenda - :cheer for no yarn buying and for using up that ball to make a hat! Using up lots of yarn before you move is a great idea!

JessicaRenee - Best of luck near the Hobby Lobby. :xfin I've never been to one. Hopefully you can resist the force that it puts out to all crafters who drive by.:lol How old is your baby girl?

Sarah - Your purple, black and grey RR sounds nice. I am working on a purple and grey throw right now. I love RRs too. :c9

Beth - What did you decide to do about the yarn your friend offered?

Jempast - I have to admit I went yarn shopping the day before I joined this CAL too :blush

Joanieponytail - I would love to see a pic of your rugs. That is ambitious to frog an old afghan, but if you can use the yarn why not :shrug

I am still holding fast to my no yarn buying plan and I haven't been buying anything else (besides groceries) either! :clap I even have a return to make this weekend to Old Navy and while I might exchange for a couple t-shirts for DD I know I'll still be ahead at the check out.

How is everyone doing? Did you manage to avoid temptation all weekend? I am too busy to shop right now, so that makes it easy. A parent at the ballet studio where I work asked me if I could make a bun cover. I remembered a bunch of pink fuzzy yarn that I already have, and I found some patterns. So I am now in the pink fuzzy ballerina bun cover business! :clap Between that and snowflakes using up some RHSS from my stash, I'm staying out of trouble.

I am getting to the end of my stash quickly. I didn't get to crochet much this weekend we had to help my in-laws move so I'm still ok. Didn't even really have time to get close to buying yarn. I am now working on some blankets to donate to my local pregnancy resource center, I think I have enough in my stash to keep me going until my "sentence" is over.

:cheer everyone on!!

:clap:yay:cheer:dance Way to go everyone! A successful weekend!

Beth - I would love to see your snowflakes made out of RHSS!

Jennifer - Kudos to you going to HL without buying any yarn :clap

Sarah - If you are getting to the bottom of your stash that will be a wonderful accomplishment! :nworthy

Elise - I would love to see your filet afghans too. 8 of them :eek Wow!

I also had a successful weekend. No yarn buying for me:yay I didn't do any crocheting either :(. Too busy doing things around the house. We are getting closer to our goals! :cheer

Archived