Yarn Buying Strike...anyone?

JessicaRenee520

Hi you all!

I have made myself a personal challenge...not to purchase any yarn for 30 days. Yikes...YARN STRIKE!

My hope is to put a dent in my rather, erm, large (anyone else out there have yarn threatening to conqure their home?).

I desire to use my creativity to come up with projects using oddball skeins, actually start projects that I have previously purchased yarn for, and save a bit of money while freeing my home from the yarn monster.

If you think this is a CAL for you, join on in, posting how long you plan to be on a "Yarn Strike" as well as the beginning and ending date for your yarn fast!

I look foward to seeing how creative you all are, and how you deal with....GASP....NOT BUYING YARN (or at least attempting not to :lol!)

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Let the hook start flying :crocheting and halt the yarn buying!

Jessica

P.S. I know there is a "Stashbusting" Game ongoing...but this is a total yarn fast...I don't think that the two are incompatible...

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Participants

As per goofy's request in post 13, here is everyone who has joined it :clap Good Luck to everyone.

JessicaRenee520 :yarn September 16, 2009

Heather414 :yarn September 16, 2009

goofy :yarn September 17, 2009

Gwenny46 :yarn September 17, 2009

srhnch :yarn September 17, 2009

tralee :yarn September 17, 2009

mandii :yarn September 17, 2009

jennniferelyse74 :yarn September 17, 2009

Needle_Arts :yarn September 17, 2009

~Elise~ :yarn September 17, 2009

CrochetinClarea :yarn September 18, 2009

basjordan :yarn September 19, 2009

catdragon :yarn September 19, 2009

kraftynkrazy :yarn September 19, 2009

Colleenka :yarn September 19, 2009

miss_scarlet :yarn September 19, 2009

Wendyb532 :yarn September 21, 2009

joanieponytail :yarn September 23, 2009

craw :yarn October 14

GrandmaCrochet :yarn October 14-Goal is "as long as possible"

I desire to use my creativity to come up with projects using oddball skeins, actually start projects that I have previously purchased yarn for, and save a bit of money while freeing my home from the yarn monster.

Hey great idea! and your post is very funny:lol:lol I share your goal as above....but I have to think about whether i dare to publicly commit myself to it!

Oh, I would love to join you, but see... I have a real need to buy yarn, it's an addiction... I just can't help myself... as a matter of fact I am starting to shake just from the very idea of a yarn fast.... yikes! All the craft stores are closed!!! HELPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!! :rofl

i am with the rest of them. the only way i dont buy yarn is if the hubby starts griping but even then i manage to sneak a skein or two from walmart. i wish i had your will power but i just dont. good luck...i will come back and cheer you on. may be i will just say that i will cut back???

Heather414

I'll fast from buying yarn with you. 30 days only though!

Welcome Heather!

Good luck to you on your yarn buying strike!

Just think...once the 30 days are over...we can go buy lots and lots and lots of yarn :lol

Hi you yarn :yarn addicts (I can say that because I am one too). Your stories of being totally addicted to yarn are too funny...they sound just like my typical yarn philosophy. LOL.

These 30 days are going to be a struggle, I can tell it already!

I decided two nights ago to do this "yarn fast". Well, wouldn't you know it, yesterday I had to go to a funueral...at a church that is right accross from the shopping complex where MICHAELS is...and I had a 50% off coupon, good for this week only burning a hole in my pocket...After the funeral, I actally drove INTO the parking lot of Michaels...and then made myself turn around and head on to Target to get my daughter more formula. I felt really sad about not using that coupon, but a few hours later, I felt really good about not spending the money or giving the yarn monster any fuel.

Once home I decided on a NEW PROJECT. I purchased, some time ago, a skein of Patons stretch sock yarn. Well, one of these skeins is not enough to make a pair of socks....so I finally decided to make it useful. After seeing so many of the lovely doll patterns, I brought my American Girl Doll out of storage and have made a neat top out of the black and grey yarn with red buttons. I plan on making a skirt...if there is enough. As soon as it is finished, I will post a pic of my creation!

Hello ladies. I will join in. I will try and make it a month. The only reason this won't happen is if I need yarn for gifts (christmas/baby shower) Our finances are tight as is and it will only help if I am not buying yarn for no reason. I am thinking this should be easy but everytime I say that I won't buy yarn then I want to even more! So I will try and hang in there with you all for 30 days starting today Sept. 17th.

what is there three or four of us brave souls trying to do this? :lol

If I joined today, I just know I'd come across a fantastic yarn sale tomorrow and I have no control.:devil Does it count that I haven't bought any for the past 6 months :D(was occupied with other family stuff)?

I'm really trying to use up what's on hand first:crocheting so OK, I'm in.

OK so this is exactly what I have been planning for months now. I am finishing up a MAM this evening then I have to start a baby blanket (which I already purchased the yarn for). After that I am not going to purchase any more yarn until I use up my leftover yarn. I would say if I stick to it , it will take me much longer than 30 days. I hope that I can do this. I am thinking about making some preemie ghans and donating them to a local nicu or maybe try a RR just using scraps. Now I can't wait to finish the baby blanket so I can get started.:cheer

No one will believe this, but I haven't purchased any yarn this whole entire year (except one skein I found at Goodwill). It wasn't really because of a conscious effort, I just really couldn't afford to and anyway I have a pretty good stash. But I'll tell you I was looking at some wool online yesterday and boy I'd love to send in an order, but I'm going to try to use up more of what I have first.

This thread thread has been running for years. It's a lot of fun and we have a good time reporting our progress or transgressions:goodorbad Check it out! You can get a lot of support for your yarn strike.

-Marzee

2009 Stashbusting CAL: WTD: +5/YTD: +5

Dishcloth Tuesdays ~ 2009 CAL

Lapgans for cancer patients

I am in the stashbusting cal...I just don't seem to use up enough yarn to change my score very often. But you are right these two cals go hand in hand. :yes

Cathy~I believe you. I have not bought alot of yarn in the last year. Only when needed for a gift or to make something to sell (which wasn't much) We had a tight year financially and yarn just didn't make the cut that often.

I'll try this, just to see how long I can last. I haven't bought any yarn since May, maybe I can keep it up since I have no money at all, and any extra my fiance has is going into buying a few more pieces of maternity clothes for me, I'm heavier this time around and dont fit into some of the stuff I had last time :blush

I think there are alot of people (me included) in denial out there! :rofl I am contemplating this but I just printed off my JoAnn coupons! I just have to share with you all what my dh said to me last night. He had left me $20 on the kitchen table and told me not to spend it. :think Now why in the world would you give someone money and tell thenm not to spend it? What is the purpose of giving them money? THEN he said "you don't need to spend it on yarn" and he had a real attitude when he said the word yarn too!!! :box Boy, he sure knows how to push my buttons!

I think I can do this. I purchased some yarn for two Christmas gifts last week and received a delivery notice email this morning so that should get me through thirty days in itself. Now, must not purchase any additional yarn to finish all the charity projects I have going. I get easily bored with repetitious pattern so always have multiple projects going at one time with a dealine on at least one looming....charity CAL this weekend and shawl swap item (within six rows of completion).

Archived