Yarn Buying Strike...anyone?

JessicaRenee520

Have looked online but continue to abstain. Finished two cotton projects with yarn from my stash (no label). I loved the softness and hand as I worked. Wish I knew what it was. Think it was some of my mom's old yarn. Found a partial bin of several different blues, all Simply Soft, but it needs an accent color to make them pop. Hmmmmm, yellow? Off to browse patterns.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Elise~ I love your afghan! I really should stop looking here. I keep adding to my WIM list!

I finished up an afghan for my MIL and am now working on a testing project. I had the sportweight yarn in my stash, so I'm good to go for awhile.:D

Collenka-Great job on resisting not only yarn but other items as well!

-Our little girl is 10 ½ months old now! However she seems more like a toddler than a baby at this point as she is RUNNING in circles (not just toddling, although she goes “plop” sometimes still) and is eating table food on her own!

Basjordan-keep up the good work! Your fuzzy ballerina bun covers sound adorable 

Srhncl-Good luck with your blankies!

Jenniferelyse74-I am very proud of you for resisting at Hobby Lobby. Great job!

~Elise~ -Congratualtionson finishing your filet afghan! Jacob’s rocking horse afhagn is absolutely stunning. I have long admired filet afghans.

Wow, many of us are nearing the 1/2 way mark! It is hard, but satisfying to wait, although I must confess, I love the caplet jacket in the new issue of Crochet Today! and I am trying hard to wait until my sentence is over to purchase the yarn for it. (I really don't have any sutible yarn...I really looked hard). I have started a baby afghan with a new skien (or should I say "mega" skein?) of pound of love. This weekend, i got a new cell phone to replace my malfunctioning one, and I made a cover for it out of black cotton yarn (to try to keep it safe from clare lol ;-) ) as well as a couple of pairs of baby booties. My paretns were intown visiting thisweekend, so I didn't get to crochet as much as usual as we were very busy. I will post a pic of the cover, becasue it was fun to use to stash yarn for something useful for ME!!!

Keep up the good work ladies!

everybody is doing great - congratulations!!

Albuquerque was soooo tempting. they had lovely handspun and natural dyed yarns at the consignment shop and they were mostly reasonably priced, but i prevailed. the only thing i got in the shop was a book for my great-nephew (Sheep Out to Eat) and a needle-felting kit to use to teach this to a friend. we didn't get anywhere near Village Wools but one of the ladies at the consignment shop worked there and had brought in some stuff. instead of buying yarn my partner and i bought a new macho (like we need more boys on the farm) i can just imagine the yarn i will make with his fleece as he is true-black and that means no chemicals to get a black that doesn't fade -ever

:blush Hi all! Will you please take me back? :blush

I was cleaning house over the weekend and rearranging my bedroom and work area. After transferring almost my entire stash into under-the-bed type plastic totes (11 of them before I ran out of totes :eek), I came to the conclusion that there are likely not enough beds in my entire block to stash them under and so I am going to have to bite the bullet and really work on decreasing my stash.

30 days - no yarn purchases - September 29 to October 29 - I will keep chanting that to myself!!! :rofl

Forgive my prior weakness and failure and take me back??? PLEASE??? :lol

:blush Hi all! Will you please take me back? :blush

I was cleaning house over the weekend and rearranging my bedroom and work area. After transferring almost my entire stash into under-the-bed type plastic totes (11 of them before I ran out of totes :eek), I came to the conclusion that there are likely not enough beds in my entire block to stash them under and so I am going to have to bite the bullet and really work on decreasing my stash.

30 days - no yarn purchases - September 29 to October 29 - I will keep chanting that to myself!!! :rofl

Forgive my prior weakness and failure and take me back??? PLEASE??? :lol

:hug Of course we will!!!:hug

Welcome back Christie! I'm glad you are back! It sounds like you have lots of yarn to keep you busy, so I'll be around to :cheer for you until Oct. 29th!

WTG Catdragon! It sounds like you did a great job at resisting temptation in Albuquerque! Have fun with the new sheep.

EMedley - Congrats on 22 days - You are almost there! :cheer

JessicaRenee - 10 1/2 mos is a fun age. So many things to learn and explore every day. Enjoy her! I look forward to seeing your cover!

Tralee & Needlearts - Good job on sticking to it!

Elise - Can't wait to see the Unicorn. That looks like a nice book (I checked it out on AA :wink). Hmmm, maybe someday when I'm shopping again I'll buy it. :devil

Mary & Beth - Way to go :cheer

Sorry if I missed anyone. Still holding strong here. I went shopping to Walmart today and it was hard to not "browse". I stuck to my shopping list and didn't even venture near the craft/yarn section.:yay Life has been so busy I haven't crocheted in 5 days :( I'm starting to really miss it. Maybe tomorrow I'll fit some in.

:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheerWTG Everyone!!!! I am here cheering you on from the side lines!!!! I am cleaning out my craft closet this fall and you know I have enough for at least a year of complete projects!

I haven't bought yarn since my Dollar Tree haul last month for the MAM I will be starting in Oct.

But I applaud each and everyone of you - it is HARD to stop hoarding yarn eh??? I am so guilty of it! But will officially be off the buying wagon for at least a month till November!!!!!;)

Keep up the good work all!!!!!!:clap:clap:clap

Well I will buy yarn and my husband is so happy to see me crochet again, he took me to Michael's on a yarn buying spree, then on to JoAnn's..also some new hooks..and after five years of not being able to crochet I never would have believed it could happen now, I will say it took me 37 years to get to this point..and..he is asking if I am counting as he remembers I would go in the bathroom with crochet in hand..pattern and yarn and was known to stay there until I accomplished some stitch..at the time I thought this was the only way I could do it now..sometimes I wish I has a volume control as to hear the kids playing or fighting and was always glad I crochet so as the kids could work things out..I'm working on my first round ripple..I don't know when it is called finished?

But I am sure loving this pattern..next I will need to put an edging on it.

I am struggling, I so want to order some yarn from Joann.com for the baby blanket I need to make. I want to order some fun yarn, i guess I will just have to wait. My husband says he will tell on me if I do buy yarn. I told him I would tell on myself. Anyhoo as of now I'm still good.

:cheer everyone on!!

:hook Catwalker Smith it is so hard to resist that yarn when DH makes it so tempting. :manyheart to get to crochet again is a blessing and good luck with it

:cheer:cheer:cheer for all who have made it this far.

temptation came in the mail yesterday in the form of the KnitPics catalog. so i made myself a promise to only look at the patterns and hooks (don't knit very often so won't look much there). :devil

I am struggling, I so want to order some yarn from Joann.com for the baby blanket I need to make. I want to order some fun yarn, i guess I will just have to wait. My husband says he will tell on me if I do buy yarn. I told him I would tell on myself. Anyhoo as of now I'm still good.

:cheer everyone on!!

Keep being strong! We're :cheer for you.

Well I have totally unintenionally bought yarn. A few days ago I put a bid on ebay on some yarn before I even thought about, then I figuired I would never when with my low bid, but today I got an email that I won the auction so I have broken :( On the upside I have some red heart plush yarn coming in the mail that I am going to make it into a soft blanket for myself. Everyone else stay strong.:blush

Well I have totally unintenionally bought yarn. A few days ago I put a bid on ebay on some yarn before I even thought about, then I figuired I would never when with my low bid, but today I got an email that I won the auction so I have broken :( On the upside I have some red heart plush yarn coming in the mail that I am going to make it into a soft blanket for myself. Everyone else stay strong.:blush

Oops, accidental yarn buying :lol No worries, Sarah, we've all been there!

There is something so soothing..about feeling the yarn and then imagining what it will be. I have given a lot of my yarn and fabric to local groups that make things almost as fast as I use to be able to buy yarn..I quit smoking ten years ago and promised myself I could buy as much yarn as a carton of cigarettes would cost..and my DH went for the idea..until I started hanging clothes on the backs of doors and taking over the closet space..when my son moved out (he was the last) I cleaned up his room and I think I had more yarn than anyone..he looked at his room and asked what would I do if he decided to move back home (he didn't) but, I learned an important lesson that it can and will get out of hand..and I only have two arms and hands..and dang! never could manage to hold a crochet hook in my toes..:) Have fun that's what life is for!

I am doing good I have not bought any more yarn. Does it count if someone buys the yarn for you so you can use it for charity? A friend asked me to knit/crochet on a blanket for charity and she is buying me the yarn for that.

Crystal - I would give you a free pass on yarn that is bought by someone else for a charity project. Enjoy!

I'm still holding strong. I made a hat out of scraps this week! :yay Must get a pic of that today, it turned out nicely. I have my WIPs moving along slowly and a few other stash/scrap projects in mind. I should be able to resist buying yarn for a while yet!

Jempast-I am with Colleenka--Enjoy working on your charity product. :-)

Colleenka-I look foward to seeing your hat :-)

I havn't posted pictures of my phone case yet....I can't seem to remember to get the linking cord from my daughter's bedroom (and I am only online when she is napping...it is my "me time") Lol. I have resisted yarn buying! Yay! I am still working on the shawl for me, but it is difficult for me to do much as my daughter is in love with the yarn (Caron spa), and tries to steal it (more than regular yarn). So, My little project that I am working on is booties for the crisis pregancy center that I usually donate to. I have set the goal as 40 booties during the 40 days for life (a prayer vigil for Respect Life). After two days, I have 7 pairs done :-). Will post pics WHEN I remember to have the linking cord and camera in the dining room, where our computer is.

Here's my hat. This is this pattern: http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=1840 I used up two partial balls of Bernat Softee Chunky. The colours are unusual - an eggplanty purple and brown - but these are the colours of my DD's fall coat this year. :shrug She likes it and thinks it looks like a detective hat :lol

post-12231-135897457347_thumb.jpg

Oh ya, it is being modeled by my paper towel holder on the deck. I sure hope a neighbour caught sight of me photographing my paper towel holder wearing a hat :rofl

Archived