Yarn Buying Strike...anyone?

JessicaRenee520

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mandii-keep up the good work! You are almost there :-)

Colleenka-as I am writing this, you are more than 2/3 done. Yay!:cheer

So, I have been steadfast in the yarn strike (so far). I have only three days left so far!:cheer. The only way I may have broken it is that we went to visit my parents this past weekend, and my dad had purchased 4 skeins of Vanna's Choice yarn in Kelly Green for me he found on Clearence. Of course I said "thank you dad!" I have started a gauge swatch for the caplet coat in the current issue of Crochet Today!

This weekend I also finished up 33 booties for my parent's church's prolife group to put in the layettes, and gave them to the coordinater :cheer. My parents were great and helped me tie them together and weave in ends on half of them. My goal is 40 pairs of booties during the 40 days for life, which is only half over. The other pairs I will donate someplace locally. It was a great project to use up some of my stash :-). The basic pattern can be found here: http://www.geocities.com/crotiques/tieashoe.htm however, I made several variations using her basic foot pattern.

post-19233-135897461426_thumb.jpg

This weekend I also finished up 33 booties for my parent's church's prolife group to put in the layettes, and gave them to the coordinater :cheer. My parents were great and helped me tie them together and weave in ends on half of them. My goal is 40 pairs of booties during the 40 days for life, which is only half over. The other pairs I will donate someplace locally. It was a great project to use up some of my stash :-). The basic pattern can be found here: http://www.geocities.com/crotiques/tieashoe.htm however, I made several variations using her basic foot pattern.

WOW! REALLY WOW! :h5 on the number of booties you have gotten done from your stash so far!

:waving to all of you strikers!

I just thought I would check in to say that I am still in on this one. I haven't even been near the front entrance of a Hobby Lobby or Michaels in a couple of weeks now! :eek I can't resist visiting the crafts area everytime I go into WalMart, though, but I have been good and haven't bought any yarn. :sweat (Wish I could avoid WalMart too, but unfortunately impossible in this household... lol)

Congratulations to all of you who have met, or are about to meet, your goal. :dance

JessicaRenee :cheer:cheer:cheerYour booties are beautiful! What an amazing display of what can be done with stash yarn! Congrats on almost making it to your 30th day!!!

kraftynkrazy, I love your signature quote and your user name! Congrats on avoiding yarn pitfalls.

Mandii, I think you can, I think you can! You are doing a wonderful job!

wendy, enjoy Stitches East. It sounds like fun!

Colleen, Keep on holding strong!

Shuttlebuggy, can't wait to see the pic!

I have less than a week left! I can do this for a week with my eyes closed! (It may be easier with my eyes closed, so I don't see any yarn sale e-mails!)

I have four days left! :yay I almost slipped last week but reminded myself that I could hold out a little longer. I didn't really need it anyway. Way to go mandii...you can do it!

Hi Ladies

I love the booties. I saved the pattern and I think I will give them a try. I went shopping today and I didn't even go to the yarn section, DH was with me :devil so I didn't buy any.

I have 6 more days but I think Iam going to try and hold out as long as I can.

Congrats to everyone.

Still workin' on the scrapghan that incorporates Dad's t-shirt - it is coming nice and I have enough scrap balls of yarn to make it to Nov - so it will be a nice sized ghan I think!

I went into AC Moore with my 50% coupon and though I did take a "gander" at yarn - I made sure to head for the books as there was a tatting book that I had wanted to get when I had a coupon - so that's what I left with! YaY!

I'm still hanging in. I've been too busy to shop for yarn...and too busy to crochet too! Oh well, less than 1 week left for me :clap:yay

Keep up the good work everyone! I'm cheering for you! :cheer:cheer:cheer

I am jumping on this bandwagon! If there's one thing I DON'T need, it's more yarn. Especially acrylic. I've got enough to last a lifetime already (courtesy of all you enablers! ha ha) I was in AC Moore yesterday and didn't buy any yarn. I went in for T pins and that's all I came out with. :) I did pet the nice yarns but I didn't buy any. :hook

i went to a friends house this past weekend and she gave me a skein of yarn (alpaca 2 ply sport weight) to make a chemo cap for another of our friends who is losing her hair in handfuls. i have frogged it twice because i am "rewriting" a pattern done for 4 ply worsted. i so wanted to do it in ww to help me figure where i needed to be and what changes i needed to make but i have persevered. we went to the in-laws in texas this week so i was working on it there without my stash to get ww from. we did go in walmart (this one still has a fabric department) and petted the yarn but i bought none. just a few more days to go but i am going to try to hold out till christmas.

I'm getting down to the wire, Oct 17th, and still itching to hit a yarn store. Good thing I've been busy helping pack at my son's house for their move to Nebraska. Too tired to shop but too tired to crochet either. Charity CAL starts today so despite five additional people with us for the next week, I will work in some time to work on my 6x9 rectangles for HAP. My stash has gone down this month and I must not let it get out of control after the 17th.

Welcome to GrandmaCrochet and Craw who had joined!

Great job to everyone who is resisting! Most everyone is almost done. Keep up the good work!

NeedleArts-You hit the nail on the head with your comment “My stash has gone down this month and I must not let it get out of control." Hopefully this little exercise will help us all to be more mindful before we buy more yarn. :-D

Well, I have officially completed my "yarn buying strike". :cheer:clap:yarn:yarn:yarn:yarn:yarn

Of course my inclination OUGHT to be to try to hold out buying yarn for a while longer, BUT my friend purchased a cute pumpkin hat for her son at a craft show....and I want to make Clare one. So, since I have to go to Target (and Michael's is right by Target) I will probably end up buying orange yarn so I can have a pumpkin head for a daugther (seriously, how many halloweens will your daughter wear a pumpkin on her head) The idea of "it's just one skein" makes me sound like an addict though.

I am planninng on being a bit more descerning though with purchasing yarn in the future, and am really looking hard through my stash to use up what is there. I am also using my "fancy yarn". Currently, I am finishing yp a wool/acrylic hat with pretty black with colors running through it for my daughter...yes, I am actually USING my yarn from a LYS. My mind is also racing with ideas of a blanket that will stay on the stroller as it is getting cooler (and my daughter thinks it is a game to take off her shoes and socks as soon as she is in the stroller). I have some RHSS (not my favorite, but I think it will be perfect for this project) in my stash, so when the new stroller arrives today, I will be making measuments, and perhaps that will be my "take to texas" project :-). That would be really destashing AND money saving (stroller buntings are about $70 yikes!).

I am going to mainly be off line for a week, so congratualtions to the many people who's dates are comming up for their diligence.:cheer I look foward to reading how your finale went. Thanks so much for participating in this CAL!:yarn

Oh well, even if you guys are going back to buying more yarn, I'm gonna stick with it. Indefinitely. LOL Gee, I hope Lion Brand and Caron don't go out of business since I won't be buying any more. :P I'm trying to save up for the good stuff ... alpaca, silk, etc. Even cashmere. (I've got 3 itty-bitty balls stashed that cost $30 and that was on closeout.) I'll never get that stuff if I keep saying "oooo look, the pounders are on sale!" :D I've been good lately anyway and even resisted the last few Crafts Etc. sales. Durn hard to do! I drool over their cotton yarn. :drool

Well tomorrow is the end of my self-imposed strike. Want to go look at yarn and pet; I need the mental pampering. Involved in too many projects (yet again) and trying to help our son and family with their move to Nebraska. Not enough hours in my day. Their move has been a big financial drain on us as his unemployment payments were delayed. Feeding and housing the additional family of five and taking lunch to the house where we've been painting, etc (30 min drive one-way) has upset my budget fiancially and crochet time. I'm just so thankful we are able to help and trying to enjoy my three grandchild for a few more days (miss my quiet household). I know that with their 1600 mile move we won't be seeing them for some time. My stash is still ample and have a long list of to do projects so I sure I can continue my buying strike. I just miss looking and imagining. Not quite as much fun digging through plastic storage bins in the cold garage. Mufflers, hats and mittens have moved up on my priority list, and warm slippers with the colder winter weather in Nebraska than here in the Pacific Northwest. I'll be lurking to see how many of use continue to abstain.

Darlene, :hug Hang in there, girl! You have so much on your plate right now. I'd be flopping between wanting them out of my house and not wanting them to move so far away... And the extra work and financial strain -- it's got to be tough. But I'm sure you've been through tougher things, and you made it through! (you're a mom! You've done worse.) You can do this, too. We're here for you!

I think I'm at 3 days to go. I have no desire to buy yarn right now, but if a really good sale came to my attention.... :devil So I'll avoid stores and e-mails from yarn sellers.

Hey ladies! Congrats Jessica!! :yay way to go! My yarn buying strike ends tomarrow. We are going shopping and if I run across some pretty cotton I will pick some up otherwise I just don't need any yarn and don't plan to buy any. Its weird during this I really wanted some, now that its over I really don't want more yarn. :)

Tralee and Mandii way to go!! :yay I finished my 30 days also!! Just in time also since the walmart I was at today has caron simply soft on clearance for a dollar. I picked up enough to make a baby blanket.

Come on ladies! I know you all can make it!! :cheer

OOPS... well, I made it about half way through my 30 days this time. Then I went to a yard sale today where I got 7 full skeins of LB wool and 3 bags of thread for only $6!!! :eek I couldn't pass it up.

My name is Christie and I am a yarnaholic... :blush

Archived