Some people call it "Artisan" Bread!

HomekeepingGran

Thank you, thank you soooo much for the info and the bread class.... I hope you'll post more tips.... I haven't baked bread in ages... Can't knead it by hand anymore....I'll have to try it again soon... I'm happy to read your instructions on the use of the KA.... Thanks again.... GBU:):)

I love homemade bread. I haven't had a slice since my father's mother passed away about 23 years ago. My schedule is so full right now, I'm lucky I can crochet at this point. But if I would make homemade bread, I would have to make it by hand.....that's just the way I am....I would have to try it the good old fashion way. That's one thing I wish I would have asked my grandmother to teach me how to make. The bread in the pictures look good enough to eat. I can almost smell the bread....nice and warm... spread the butter....watch it melt.....Take and bite and mmmmm....mmmmmm.....good!

Welllllll... it's up to you but Peter Reinhardt says to not cut into your bread until it totally cools or you will release its moisture and have a dry loaf. It is SO hard not to cut open that delicious-smelling stuff! ;) It is still fantastic with butter when it has cooled, though. I guess you could re-warm that slice slightly.

I love to make bread and have been doing it since the early 70’s, but I don’t bake often in the summer. I just wrote another posting where I praised our warm winter weather, there is a flip side to that coin though, and it is summer. We are still in the mid 90’s, and firing up the oven is just not much fun.

John Hablinski, Corpus Christi, Texas, USA

*sniff* *snifffff* MmmMmmm, I thought that was the aroma of fresh baked bread!!!

I hope I didn't miss the party!

Carla, your "Artisan Bread" and presentation touches so many senses. -Thank you for sharing!

I hear you John...MI summers (at least on this side of the state) get muggy and hot, and there is very strong resistance to anything requiring heat (inside) to produce edibles! At least you get mild winters to make up for it, eh? Won't be long, and baking will be pleasant again. :)

Wow, the replies are still coming! Thank you, friends. I was truly hesitant to post this but am now glad I did.

John, I live in Texas, too — up in the northeast corner. This summer I suffered through store-bought bread until I couldn't stand it anymore and just baked anyway. When I think about our foremothers baking on a wood stove all year, I guess I can't complain too much, LOL.

I believe the next bread I make might be a cinnamon raisin. Just got a hankering for it.! ;)

P.S. Maybe next Spring I ought to bake twice as often and fill my freezer with loaves for the summer?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh my! That looks superlicious! I can smell them now and oh how wonderful the cotton from the center is when hot, oh wait no it has to be the heel of the bread. Its all good, what am I thinking. My grandma spoiled me with "Artisan" goods growing up. She has since passed on and your pic brings back many wonderful and warm memories of her in the kitchen singing hymns and kneading dough. THANK YOU!!!

I have waffled a bit about posting this because I don't usually think of homemade bread as a craft in the sense that crochet or embroidery are crafts, but the current exuberant terminology has renamed plain old homemade bread into "Artisan Loaves", LOL. So just for fun I took a couple of "glamour shots" of yesterday's bread and I present to you — ta da — Artisan Bread! One of the most (ahem) delicious crafts there is! It was steaming hot and still wafting about its heady aroma when I took this picture. So pull up a chair, grab a cup of tea and let's take a break together!

Butter and jelly, anyone?

That looks so good I can smell it. I love homemade bread and haven't made any for several weeks. The one I make most often is French bread -- four loaves, three of which go into the freezer. Bread machines aren't for me, but I have discovered the joys of the Kitchen Aid mixer's dough hook. Here's a bread I've been meaning to try for ages: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/08/dining/081mrex.html?_r=1&ref=dining

It is apparently a good rustic bread that people rave about.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful photo!

• 2 months later...
i could bring some home made leek & potato soup if anyone fancies paying my airfare...

;)

I made some yesterday with a left over ham bone - it is my lunch for today. A wonderful, lovely friend of the family in Scotland taught us to make this soup. It is without a doubt one of the best ones I have ever eaten and PERFECT when the weather here is 5 degrees!!!!

I made my honey and oatmeal bread last weekend using left over oatmeal from breakfast, and it was wonderful. Tomorrow I'll be making potato bread with the mashed potato leftovers.

I'm waiting on a shipment from my favorite food/baking company, King Arthur Flour, and I'll make some Maple Cinnamon bread.

Archived