Any knitters out there?

So today I bought a Learn to Knit kit at Michaels for a dollar. After much struggling I finally figured out the basics! Yay! :clap I was just wondering who out there knits and crochets and also if anyone knows of any good knitting sites?

I actually learned to knit before I learned to crochet, but it just didn't grab my interest at first as much as crochet did, so I didn't pick it up again until last year. I actually just finished my first cabled project, a teapot sweater (a teapot cosy that looks like an Aran sweater)last night, and I have been frantically knitting socks for the last few months.

Congratulations on teaching yourself something new. I don't use the web much for knitting reference, but the knittinghelp.com website is pretty good. I would also suggest getting on Amazon.com and looking for a good knitting reference book. I know it means having to buy another book, but I like having a reference book for when I get stuck. If you look on Amazon, you can read customer reviews and hopefully end up with a book that is right for you.

Good luck on your new endeavor.

We have beginner and experienced knitting user groups here on the ville. You need to go to your user CP, scroll down to interest groups, and just add them (no need to go through Amy). Many of the very same talented and kind crocheters you converse with in the crochet forums are also members and are very willing to help out.

Patty

I've been knitting since I was 10 (so that's 15 years now). I enjoy it a lot but it can be difficult so stick with it. There are a lot of cool things you can do with knitting that you can't do with crochet and vice versa.

Thanks for the tips Desert I'll go add the Knitting groups too.

i just learned to knit, myself. I was not smart enough to learn from videos and had to resort to a class. congratulations to you on the accomplishment.

I'm really enjoying making dishcloths w/ the knit, and seem to like them a bit better than crochet..they don't seem as stiff to me. Most of the patterns I have found for them have come from "knitting pattern central" (just like our beloved cpc). It seems to have tons of patterns and some knit and crochet tog. :)

keep up the good work.

Sandy

Congratulations on learning to knit. Besides the knitting group that is here, I also belong to Ravelry.com which I really love. Knittinghelp.com is also extremely helpful and has great tutorials.

Happy knitting,

Betty

I also do both. Some projects are better in crochet and some are better knitted. I just do what I want to when it comes to the crafts.

:manyheart

I am another knit and crocheter. I have a knitted shrug on my needles just now that I really have to get to work on and get it done.

I enjoy both but crochet is my first love because it is so amenable to my short attention span :rofl

I'm also a member of the knitting group over there,too. Haven't tried to knit again yet but I will try again soon just got too frustrated and put it away I've only got the part where you make a slipknot the rest is confusing to me. You just post like you do here it's all basically the same

Um.. I have a question' date=' what do I do after I have joined the Beginner Knitting intrest group?:think[/quote']

When you log in next time after joining, you'll see another box for the knitting special interest group down at the bottom of the main C'ville page. Check out the various threads with project photos, questions, KAL, etc. Just as much fun and as helpful as the rest of the forums as C'ville.

patty

Hi Lil' Crocheter! I knit and spin yarn too. I like to knit socks on 2 circular needles and I love to make mittens on 2 circs, also. I like that knitting doesn't take up much yarn, so I use knitting to make stuff with my handspun, but if I want to get stuff done and done quick -- I crochet! I love crochet best because it just comes easy to me and If need be, I can design my own stuff with crochet.

I'm also a beginner knitter. Long ago I got a book to learn to knit but just got frustrated. There was so many steps just to make one stitch. :lol Then when my dh was stationed in Germany I tried to learn again. This time I learned from a british lady and she showed me the continental or german way to knit :knit and I was hooked since then. It is so much better and faster than the American way :blush. Sorry, don't mean to sound mean. Last year I finally picked up my nerve to try the dpns and made a pair of baby socks. Of course, the two didn't come out the same size. :lol But I discovered I just liked working with the dpns. :D I haven't really done much of either crochet or knit since my mom passed away in 07. I still have the star baby blanket I made before she passed away. It was the last thing she saw me make so I won't give it away. The only one I'll give it to is if my son and his wife have a baby. I think I'm starting to write a book here so I'll stop for now. :)

Archived