Care to learn Bruges lace CAL?

darski

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is gorgeous, Darski! You didn't really frog it did you?

Yep! It is now going to become a scarf that will fit the neck better than this one did. I got what I wanted from it: the ability to consistently make twists on schedule :wlol

I am dreaming of the hat at this point... no surprise there :wlol but the scarf will come first. I need it for Sept 1st for the scarf CAL

Darski--your practice scarf is terrific--all that persistence has paid off!

I don't know about the hat thing, but I can think of one possibility (other than the obvious spiral). you can make the tapes get thicker and thinner--they don't have to stay the same width. You might be able to get an interesting hat shape by making the tapes run from crown to brim, getting wider at the brim, and thinner at the crown.

I can visualize what I mean, but it's really hard to put into words. How about if I just wish you good luck? I'm sure whatever you figure out will be great!

Thank you Karen... your encouragement means a lot to me. I was thinking that a regular hat with a Bruges border or brim would look good to match the scarf. That is my plan at this point :think

That was pretty, Darski! Too bad it is no more. There was a pattern in Interweave Crochet about a year ago that was very similar but WIDER, like yours but with a straight tape going lengthwise on both edges. It used WW and G hook, was 10.5" wide. It draped and bunched around the neck, but you could see the Bruges pattern in the tails.

The pattern does away with the curve-pucker by reducing the size of the stitches on the inside of the curve.

I have always wanted to learn this technique and now I get to learn it with some friends :woo

Darski I agree no loosing arguments with inanimate objects:)

I tried it with size 3 crochet cotton and it looks like the picture but I still feel like maybe this isn't right gotta go find the camera cord. ooh I found it

NiYa :yarn

post-13132-135897436941_thumb.jpg

Ok, I am now confident that I can make a long row and keep it consistent. I made a scarf length row of twists. It looks quite good IYKWIM :wlol

[ATTACH]6910[/ATTACH]

Now, having said that... it is not scarf-able. I have taken it out and I am going to make the scarf that is the short set twists. That will work for what I want. The challenge might be in trying to make a hat to match. If I can pull that one out of a hat :rabbit y'all will be the first to know about it :rofl

Crochet! magazine had a scarf and vest pattern in Bruges a few months ago I need to go looking for my magazine to see what issue it was if you subscribe to that magazine. NiYa :yarn

Darksi, you're really getting this. I'm glad you started this CAL too. I love the color. And I think bruges lace on the brim of a hat would be perfect. Maybe in a contrasting color and folded up?

NiYa, that is looking nice.

My shawl is coming along. I'm thinking since I have a white one all ready (not in bruges of course) I would add a black trim to it. I want it wider too. I'm thinking just regular crochet type for the edging. I also thought maybe doing some white flowers in a triangle at the edges so it comes to a point with the black edging... but not sure yet.

Bruges lace crochet leaves a lot to designing. Especially since there isn't many patterns available.

Debbi

@Ankh... that sample is what I want to make for a scarf and for the hat band.

I need to get it going soon but I have at least a dozen things on the go as it is. :sigh However this is very quick to make so it should be fine.

I might just try it with the ch 1 spaces this time... :think

I also found when I try this with fewer stitches in the row but still 6 chains it laid flatter. My current piece has 4 dc with 6 chains at the end of every row. I am working on napkin rings at the moment.

I was just going through LionBrand's patterns and found the SpringTime Clutch has burges lace on the back! I'm thinking I would put it on the front. I need a new purse, this might be an idea... okay I don't need a new purse... :blush but... :lol If I did it in WW yarn instead of the DK weight it would be a purse instead of a clutch.

Maybe I could put it it as the flap on the purse. In a contrasting color too... I'd like it to be on the front instead of the back to show it off... plus since it's getting fall/winter, I think I might leave off the flowers.

It looks like the LB pattern does the decreasing on the turn too. I was just reading it.

Debbi

That is soooooo pretty Debbi. I love those colours but I would never use a clutch purse... wonder what else I could do with the idea though. :think

I think I have to wait til next week to get my scarf made for Sept. This is the week we start the Charity along and that is my big focus.. along with 3 other projects :sigh Will I ever learn :?

:eek

That is soooooo pretty Debbi. I love those colours but I would never use a clutch purse... wonder what else I could do with the idea though. :think

I think I have to wait til next week to get my scarf made for Sept. This is the week we start the Charity along and that is my big focus.. along with 3 other projects :sigh Will I ever learn :?

:eek

That's why I thought maybe in WW yarn to make it a regular purse. I suppose it could be as big as I wanted and make the bruges lace turn where I needed it to.

I also have other things on hooks... My bruges lace shawl is still in progress... I have some socks on hooks...

I don't think we'll ever learn, it's too much fun!:yes

I don't think I could stand to have only one project going at a time. It's too much fun to pick up and work on whatever takes my fansy on any given day. It also keeps me from getting bored with any one project. :lol :lol

I don't think I could stand to have only one project going at a time. It's too much fun to pick up and work on whatever takes my fansy on any given day. It also keeps me from getting bored with any one project. :lol :lol

I absolutely second that one. I need to be able to change up hooks or even just stitches through the day.

I was just going through LionBrand's patterns and found the SpringTime Clutch has burges lace on the back! I'm thinking I would put it on the front. I need a new purse, this might be an idea... okay I don't need a new purse... :blush but... :lol If I did it in WW yarn instead of the DK weight it would be a purse instead of a clutch.

Maybe I could put it it as the flap on the purse. In a contrasting color too... I'd like it to be on the front instead of the back to show it off... plus since it's getting fall/winter, I think I might leave off the flowers.

It looks like the LB pattern does the decreasing on the turn too. I was just reading it.

Debbi

:clap:clap:cheer:cheer:cheer:clap:clap

and this is how designing begins!:yes

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't worked on my 2 bruges lace projects for ever. I have 2 others that have my interest at the moment and are almost one.

I did start the purse, I decided black purse and white bruges lace.

My white shawl is just put away. I almost finished a skien of Red Heart WW SS and have another skien to use for it, I want it longer then one skien will make.

Debbi

I kept getting things in teh way but I now have a couple of things finished so I am working on my scarf for Sept but I have to get moving on it now. It goes rather quickly but I have to decide whether to go with a "collar" or a long scarf... :think

I have seen some astonishing pieces on the net and I am so inspired to try something... anything. But first my scarf for sept.

I will finish my scarf. I will finish my scarf. I will finish my scarf. I will finish my scarf. I will finish my scarf. I will finish my scarf. I will finish my scarf. I will finish my scarf. I will finish my scarf. I will finish my scarf. I will finish my scarf.

ok that was quick as I just made a collar with jabot for Sept.

Now on to devising a pretty square ghan using this technique. This might be a place to use some pretty squares I have that don't work well as an afghan square per se.

Will be playing with pieces of paper for a while. :dreaming

Archived