Care to learn Bruges lace CAL?

darski

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Way to go Linda and Debbi. Tomorrow I am going to take up my deep pink arnd and get that scarf made. (if the good Lord's willing and the creek [read canal} don't rise.

I so love this look. :dreaming

Linda, I think your shawl is coming along nicely--and I really like the colors, too. Neat yarn!

Debbi, I have several Bruges patterns that incorporate a simple circle round like that, and the crocheted Bruges combined with tatting that I saw (link in my links post) used the same sort of thing--so bravo, I think you did great! Now picture another round that makes a gentle wave pattern....:devil

It was just my luck that the *first* Bruges pattern I tried was that one in my avatar. Talking about getting into deep water...

Linda, I think your shawl is coming along nicely--and I really like the colors, too. Neat yarn!

Debbi, I have several Bruges patterns that incorporate a simple circle round like that, and the crocheted Bruges combined with tatting that I saw (link in my links post) used the same sort of thing--so bravo, I think you did great! Now picture another round that makes a gentle wave pattern....:devil

It was just my luck that the *first* Bruges pattern I tried was that one in my avatar. Talking about getting into deep water...

Wow! And I thought I jumped into things at the deep end first. You get the prize. :nworthy :nworthy :nworthy

Yes, but I had a *pattern*--and a symbol crochet pattern at that, showing every stitch and join. I can't imagine doing it without a pattern, nor from written instructions (shuddering in horror at the thought).

Last night I decided to try another way to use this so I made a Skinny Scarf in Bruges Lace It was so easy I made it last night and in the middle of the night. I made it a skinny scarf because I didn't know what else to do with it... I didn't have any more of that color (left over yarn) to do a second strip, so this works out fine.

Here's the scarf and a close up.

And my next Bruges project, a shawl. I'm doing it width wide and then going to make it as long as I want. I had some white and so I started with that. Both use a size J hook and red heart WW yarn (sorry the scarf was left over yarn with no label, so I think it was teal, but not sure). Making the scarf helped, because the same type of joining is done on the shawl in the turns. Same amount of joins too.

Last night I decided to try another way to use this so I made a Skinny Scarf in Bruges Lace It was so easy I made it last night and in the middle of the night. I made it a skinny scarf because I didn't know what else to do with it... I didn't have any more of that color (left over yarn) to do a second strip, so this works out fine.

Here's the scarf and a close up.

And my next Bruges project, a shawl. I'm doing it width wide and then going to make it as long as I want. I had some white and so I started with that. Both use a size J hook and red heart WW yarn (sorry the scarf was left over yarn with no label, so I think it was teal, but not sure). Making the scarf helped, because the same type of joining is done on the shawl in the turns. Same amount of joins too.

Very, very pretty, Debbi! :yay

Debbi-a1 - The white strip you have made is exactly what I am making, and I didn't find it at all easy to learn.Now that I have got the logic of this technique it is going very quickly, but I then tried to make a scroll from looking at a very small diagram, and it took me a long time to figure it out. I am really impressed by those of you who are doing it out of your heads.

The first picture is my very first try at bruges lace - the basic strip - which I am quite happy with, although, maybe, shaded thread was not the best choice.

The second is what I have now - the strip with two scrolls attached. I am not at all sure I like the itty-bitty look of this, and it is quite obvious that the white is too bright for this shade of grey. So, I might end up taking them off, and just continuing with the strip. Just can't decide.

post-5895-135897436144_thumb.jpg

post-5895-13589743615_thumb.jpg

Amdm, I love the first photo.

The second one, maybe you are right, maybe the white is a bit bright. But I like the edging idea.

I wonder if scrolls could be put on a basic, plain scarf to give it some character. Hmmm... Would have to figure out how to attach them though...

I wonder if a scraf of just scrolls could be done... maybe for someone turning 8? They remind me of the number 8.

Debbi

The first picture is my very first try at bruges lace - the basic strip - which I am quite happy with, although, maybe, shaded thread was not the best choice.

The second is what I have now - the strip with two scrolls attached. I am not at all sure I like the itty-bitty look of this, and it is quite obvious that the white is too bright for this shade of grey. So, I might end up taking them off, and just continuing with the strip. Just can't decide.

Amdm, those are both lovely. Nice job!:yay

Thanks for the kind comments. The flowers are there to attach the scrolls to the strip. I had to evolve a flower that was just the right size and shape to fit into the spaces between the strip and the scroll, so the flower can't be changed. For now, I am just continuing with the strip, and not taking any decisions regarding the border.

It would be easy to make a scarf with the scrolls, by attaching them to each other, end to end.

Thank you, darski, for starting us off on such an interesting technique.

Well I love what I am seeing here. :dreaming Y'all are just too much :ghug

I am pleased to announce that I have now made 10 twists and turns for a scarf in Bruges style. I am going to just keep going until I think it is long enough and I am planning to make a fancy join and maybe a tassel at the dangling beginning and ending spots.

I would still like to be able to work this around a motif to create a shawl effect that is larger at the bottom (around motifs) and narrower at the top. Now that I have done a join to a circle and made the continuous twists I think I may be able to make this one happen.

Well I love what I am seeing here. :dreaming Y'all are just too much :ghug

I am pleased to announce that I have now made 10 twists and turns for a scarf in Bruges style. I am going to just keep going until I think it is long enough and I am planning to make a fancy join and maybe a tassel at the dangling beginning and ending spots.

I would still like to be able to work this around a motif to create a shawl effect that is larger at the bottom (around motifs) and narrower at the top. Now that I have done a join to a circle and made the continuous twists I think I may be able to make this one happen.

Yeah, Daski! You can do it! :cheer :cheer

Okay, like I am trying to punish myself...I started doing this lace in pink string. I don't know what I am making or what it will be. I am trying to figure out a paisley print with circles. At least it is in my mind. It will possible be something wearable. Anyway, if I can get the paisley thing to work, I will post a picture.

Now Darski I will direct DH your way with he see 4 WIP's in the living Room instead of the three that was there.

I like that shawl idea.

You did me a big favour in stashbusting so I would be happy to do this for you. Do you want me to list all of the WIPs I have going? *shudder*

:wlol

Mine's terribly long. Let's see: 3 quilts (various sizes), 2 crocheted shawls (1 in Bruges lace), 2 quiltghans, 1 preemie afghan, and 1 hat. And that's just for starters. If I counted up all the WIPs it would probably be twice as long. :devil

Mine's terribly long. Let's see: 3 quilts (various sizes), 2 crocheted shawls (1 in Bruges lace), 2 quiltghans, 1 preemie afghan, and 1 hat. And that's just for starters. If I counted up all the WIPs it would probably be twice as long. :devil

Honey, those four are in the living room, I don't count the ones in my yarn storage room (home office ) and I am only counting crochet WIP. Please the quilts are totally different room ( kitchen ). DH swears I am going to feed him a needle or pin one day.

Ok, I am now confident that I can make a long row and keep it consistent. I made a scarf length row of twists. It looks quite good IYKWIM :wlol

post-4896-135897436851_thumb.jpg

Now, having said that... it is not scarf-able. I have taken it out and I am going to make the scarf that is the short set twists. That will work for what I want. The challenge might be in trying to make a hat to match. If I can pull that one out of a hat :rabbit y'all will be the first to know about it :rofl

Archived