Take a look at the C'ville logo and answer me this...

jimbo

On the logo hook....See the long taper from the shank to what I call the "gullet" of the hook? Now some hooks, especially Boye hooks, have a long gradual taper there, and other hooks, notably Bates, have a shorter "ramp".

My question to all you experts is:

Why the long ramp??? Seems to me that a long gradual ramp like that would make you push the hook through way further than you need to before the loop would slide onto the shank where the hook is properly sized. Now of course you can't have an abrupt, really sharply angled ramp either, but my guess is that a hook with a reasonably short ramp would be faster to use and maybe more accurate... or am I all wet???

Curious Jimbo

On the logo hook....See the long taper from the shank to what I call the "gullet" of the hook? Now some hooks, especially Boye hooks, have a long gradual taper there, and other hooks, notably Bates, have a shorter "ramp".

My question to all you experts is:

Why the long ramp??? Seems to me that a long gradual ramp like that would make you push the hook through way further than you need to before the loop would slide onto the shank where the hook is properly sized. Now of course you can't have an abrupt, really sharply angled ramp either, but my guess is that a hook with a reasonably short ramp would be faster to use and maybe more accurate... or am I all wet???

Curious Jimbo

Heh you have opened the can of worms called "What type of hook do you prefer" :)

A hotly debated "what type of hook is better" conversation has gone on for years.

It is a matter of preference, probably based on ones own personal crochet style. Me? Gimme my bates anyday :) I cant crochet with a boye to save my life *Giggle*

There is a name for that type of hook, but I cant think of it... Oh well! Hope that help, although I am sure more educated answers are forthcoming from others!

Hugs

kath

Ps I just looked, Bates are called "in-line" hooks. It says that means that the hook is exactly in line with the shaft, and the hook itself is more flat.

It explains more at the bottom of this page:

http://www.karpstyles.com/crochet/Types-of-hook.html

well, for me, I prefer a mix...not a super long taper, but I'm not a bates fan either! my fave hooks (that I own) are my bamboo hooks. (when I'm not using steel that is) I forget the brand they were sold under, just now.

does that help at all, Jimbo?

:D

Hi Jimbo:

I dont know if you are talking about the part from the hook tip to the thumb rest if so I for some unknow reason call it the shaft thats my interpretation and I for one love my susan bates and also Love hooks with long shafts i need the extra space from the tip of the hook to the thumb /finger rest...

Just a preference i guess....

I love when you make hooks with that little longer stretch ..

I got my eyes on your second hook on bids right now....Its got that little extra lenght i love....

Yes, it could be quite a can of worms.

My preference: inline, short taper, pointy tip of hook, just as so many of the vintage Bates hooks are!

You ask great questions!

I prefer the Boye brand hooks. I think the only reason is that is what I've always used. I did try a Bates hook, but I kept splitting my yarn with it. I think it is a personal preference and what type of hook you learned with and grown accustomed to....

It is definitely a personal preference. I dislike Bates hooks because of the short gullet, I loose the yarn on the hook with them, probably due to the manner in which I crochet. My favorite hook is an older Boye "I" which is a heavy steel and has a longer gullet. To me there is also a slight difference in the hook portion between the two that also may contribute to my problem. Your hooks are beautiful - and one of these days when I have the $$$.......

KER828, do you mean yarn comes off the hook when you use a hook with a short taper?

I have never seen yarn hooks in steel. An "I" would be heavy. That must be very old to be made of steel, rather than aluminum.

I do hope Hooklady pops in here!

Jimbo, Hooklady posted these diagrams of hook head shapes:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=303345&postcount=1

The taper varies in sharpness of angle, proportion of graduating slope and girth, as well as length.

Yep, I'd say the choices are endless.

I prefer the Susan Bates hooks. I really really dislike the shape of the boye hooks. I was always fighting to get them through the yarn. I love the feel of the Susan Bates hooks in my hand too.

Not trying to open any worm cans... although my grandkids could use some up on the crick for fishing... but i digress.

No, .... my point wasn't to raise the age old Bates v Boye broo ha ha, it was very specific... to find out more about that little ramp which is between the hook head and shank... it's the surface that tapers from the head to the shank like a little uphill ramp. You have a ramp there, regardless of the hook head style. I'm just curious about that angle and folks' preference.

Lets put it this way. Imagine you have a hook menu in front of you that will allow you to pick out options like on a car, only you'd end up with your ultimate dream hook. You have a choice on the menu of hook head (Bates, Boye or whatever). You also have other menu options totally separate from the head style. You can choose either a long ramp leading from your chosen head shape to the hook shank, or a shorter ramp. NOW, which would you prefer a long tapered ramp or a short one??? AND once you decide which you prefer, please tell me why.

Jimbo

Short taper, due to what you stated initially. I want the loops up there to get sized right away and back down as quickly as possible. If the taper is too long, the loops can shrink on the way back down.

I haven't been able to make sense of the vintage bone hooks I have, they taper and taper and taper. I like a clear taper, get to the main girth of the hook as soon as possible.

I do like this menu idea. Choices are so very nice!

you got it Gran!! Thanks for your input! That's zactly what I was thinking.. that the long taper would let the loop slam shut before you get it back off the hook. But some folk will no doubt have a good reason why they like the longer taper. Just trying to get thoughts from all sides.

I've only ever tried the hooks that came with the kit from walmart (Boye) I believe, I had no idea that there even were different types until this thread. Now I have to go buy hooks to try. :lol:

I will pay attention to that now tho', if this thread is still active I will reply back then.

Yes, I might be in the minority. Could be that some have more loops on their hooks, or hold the hook in a different way, or use the non-hook hand differently.

It'll be interesting to read what others do and like.

KER828, do you mean yarn comes off the hook when you use a hook with a short taper?

I have never seen yarn hooks in steel. An "I" would be heavy. That must be very old to be made of steel, rather than aluminum.

Yes, it comes off the hook or catches incorrectly. If it is the only hook I have then I have to adjust my normal crochet speed and technique to accommodate the hook or I'm incredibly frustrated. LOL!

The hook IS very old it belonged to my Grandmother who is 100 I love the feel and weight of the hook in my hand and probably that she used it also!

Well Jimbo, my FAVORITE hook is this one

My CUSTOM Made JIMBO hook, for some reason, it is PERFECT!! Maybe because I took pictures and sent them to Jimbo, lol, and it fits my hand PERFECT, and the yarn slides with it, oh yea, its my all time FAVORITE!! Store bought hooks, well Jimbo my friend I don't use them no more...hehehehe, I used most excusivly this one, but on occation I do pick up one of my other Jimbo hooks too...so I aint going to be of no help my friend :think

:manyheart JoAnn

post-7197-135897426499_thumb.jpg

You and me, RoseRed!! I was thinking the same thing! But I've seen longer and that's what raised the question. And I've seen way shorter and that can't be good either, eh?

Bytheway, Kido... you been coming up with lots of new knockout designs?? Haven't seen alot from you lately. No pressure, mind you but you know Karol's crocheting now and....

I am a Boye hook fan and my stitches are nice and even. When I do use a Bates hook I get fustrated as I end up catching on the thread as I am pulling it through. So like everything else it's a matter of personal preference and style. I wouldn't trade my Boye hooks for all the Bates hooks in the world. I do own and use some vintage Bates hooks that I use only when I doing Bullion stitches and the inline hook is the best answer. Though I switch back to my Boye as soon as I can. So give me my tapered throat on my hook and let my hook sing.........

So give me my tapered throat on my hook and let my hook sing.........

And such pretty notes it makes!!

But the point isn't Bates v. Boye, its taper length. What if your Boyes had shorter tapered throats?? What would that do to your work? What if they had longer tapered throats?

I finally have a few minutes to sit down and answer your question. whew. I'm down visiting Daddy and it's been a crazy couple days.

The way I see it is... The size of the shaft is what determines the size of your loop. I prefer a hook with a short taper. I like getting my yarn onto the shaft and not having to worry about whether it's going to get tighter as I pull it off.

I've worked with a long tapers and I've found that the loop generally gets smaller as it goes down the length of the decreasing shaft.

My thread hooks taper the other way and when you're doing long post stitches and the loop has to go over the fatter part it makes the loop larger and then I end up with a sloppy looking stitch. I'm totally anal about tension.

As far as designing. I went bonkers with it. I was on a roll. Got the patterns written down, tested, up in my shop and nothing happened. Not much sold at all. I can't say that nothing happened. My designing went from being fun and something I loved doing to WORK. Notice that that's a 4 letter word.

Right now I'm working on 99 Little Doilies (awesome doily book). I'm in LOVE with #96.

I have a bunch of pics to put up on my blog - I just have to find the time and ambition. It's the rainy season down here in Florida and with the rain comes an increase in pain.

And such pretty notes it makes!!

But the point isn't Bates v. Boye, its taper length. What if your Boyes had shorter tapered throats?? What would that do to your work? What if they had longer tapered throats?

The taper length is one of the things I like about my Boye hooks. My work just flows better with the longer taper. I hang up on the short tapers. It's like the head gets in the way because the taper is too short on a Bates. But that is my own personal preference.

Just one more note. I collect antique and vintage hooks. Not as seriously as the Hooklady, but I have an extensive collection of hooks and the majority of the hooks I have do have the longer tapered throat on them.

Archived