Take a look at the C'ville logo and answer me this...

jimbo

I'm with KER828 and Katchkan - I love that long taper on Boye hooks (or any other hook I can find it on!). When I first started crocheting, I was teaching myself from a Susan Bates kit, and I fought and fought with those inline hooks with the short taper. My yarn was forever falling off the hook, and splitting, and it was painfully slow going. Since I was so new I thought it was just me.

Then I needed a size K hook for a project, and one hadn't come with my kit. So I went to buy one, and the only K at the store that day was a Boye. I bought it, took it out of the package, started crocheting...and it was like the heavens opened up! :lol I bought a full set of Boye hooks and haven't looked back.

Personally I use them all. Depends on the type of yarn and whether the pattern calls for a tight or loose stitch. For thread I don't have a preference.

I tend to be a tight tension person, and was always a Bates girl, but when they came out with those novelty yarns, I found Boye easier to work with. Right now I am really in love with Pony hooks. I just try the different brands when doing my swatches, and whatever one works best is what I use.

I'm thinking that the way you hold the hook also impacts our choice of long taper or short. I hold my hook pencil style, and do not like using a short tapered hook. They just don't slide well for me.

I just thought I would throw in another variable :D

:mug:cat:yarn

Jimbo - are you talking about thread hooks or yarn hooks like the ones that you make? Thread and yarn hooks have a MUCH different shape to them. The C'ville logo hook is a yarn hook.

Oh yeah, I'm definitely talking yarn hooks. Seems like all the thread hooks have extremely long tapers whether its Bates or Boyes.

And I didn't think on it but yeah I bet the grip style has a little something to do with the long/short taper debate.

Thanks for all the input. Interesting stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking I've been doing this wrong all along! Now I need to go look at my Boye hooks and assess how I crochet and see if my loops are tightening as I take them off my hook. And I love the look of that bamboo hook! Something else to look into!

Jennifer

• 1 month later...

I have arthritis, and fibromyalgia. I hold my hooks in my fist like a kid with their spoon. I prefer the long taper and I twist my wrist and "flap" my elbow when I crochet. I have used both Boye and Bates hooks and prefer the Boye. I also "choke up on the hook. My middle finger usually hits the thumb rest and my thumb and first finger are slightly closer to the throat. This helps me to crochet more evenly. If I hold like a pencil my hands hurt within 5 minutes. The way I hold the hook and the longer throat is my preference.

I'm thinking that the way you hold the hook also impacts our choice of long taper or short. I hold my hook pencil style, and do not like using a short tapered hook. They just don't slide well for me.

I just thought I would throw in another variable :D

:mug:cat:yarn

Actually I hold my hook knife style and I still like a longer taper. Whether I am using a yarn hook or a thread Hook, Give me the longer taper.

And No my loops don't choke up. Never had a problem with that and I crochet fairly tight.

Archived