Stop Smoking CAL- REVISED-Revival post #94

Well, ever since I was about 16 I've been smoking. I quit for almost a year,

then started back up again. Now I cant seem to kick the habbit for the life of me. Thats when I saw Henny's Quit Smoking Doll (find the link to her post here) and that got me thinking- why not a Quit Smoking CAL?

Ok, after reading these posts, I realize that my rules were kinda crappy. I just thought that maybe it would help. But I can see a revise is needed here. So, how about we make a points system like the Stashbusting CAL?

The points will again be calculated weekly on Saturday sometime. The rating goes as follows:

1 Pack bought: 2 points deducted

1 Cigarette smoked: 3 points deducted

1 Pack tossed: 4 points added

1 Cigarette tossed: 2 points added

1 Day without smoking: 5 points

1/2 Day without smoking: 3 points

At the end of the week, I will need EVERYONE to send me a pm stating their scores. To keep it simple and keep track of it for yourselves, in your signature, put your scores in BOLD BLUE so that I can see them. I will probably ask someone to help me along as time goes on, and the winner at the end of the week will get the satisfaction of not smoking for that week and being closer to quitting for good.

I still think that stating what you're going to make is a good idea. you MUST have an item picked out, weather it be a WIP that you tossed to the side or something new. The person who remains smoke free for 3 months (and I will keep track) will get a SPECIAL PATTERN designed by me for this CAL. Smoke free for 6 months, get another free pattern. Smoke free for 1 year, win a purse crocheted by me and the satisfaction that you quit smoking!

So ladies, like my new rules? Let me know! Oh, the setup for the scores should be

+/0

-/0

PM me if you have any more questions or suggestions. Have fun and good luck!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been trying so so so hard to quit! I went from a pack a day to a pack every 3 days....today I thought I would really really really quit for good. I don't know if I can do it! I haven't smoked today and it is 2pm.

I have been thinking about buying a pack because I have a stressful home life and I don't want to go home and have nothing.

When I am at work...no problem...but it is at night when I go home that I can't relax.

Crocheting keeps me from chain smoking. I think I might be best off cutting back even more....but who knows. I have been smoking for 12 years and I don't feel like dying. I will totally do this with you....I will try my best!

LOVE!

Hi Nikki haven't seen you around lately... how have you been... I smoked for almost 30 years.... the day I went into the operating room for open heart surgery the doctor looked at me and said "Quit Smoking or Die" that was the last day I smoked.... I tried everyway you can think of but until you have a motivating reason and quit making excuses you will not quit.... rewards don't work ... punishment sure does't work... you have to learn some relaxing techniques and find a motivating reason.... mine was I wanted to live... having someone to talk to about it WILL help so if you want to have a CAL where you can get together and encourage one another that will help. If you want someone who's been there to talk to about it just PM me I'll be willing to talk to anyone about what I went through.

I simply refuse to NOT crochet for 48 hours if I slip and smoke.

Ripping out 10 rows - never gonna happen - not over a ciggie. At least not in this lifetime.

So - yes, you're rules are insane. Perfect timing for a quitting CAL (since I am) and I'm failing miserably at it. NOt true - I've been at 1/2 a pack/day for the last 2 weeks. It's getting harder instead of easier.

If you decide to change the rules around - I'll probably join in.

hi, Nikka-

I thought about you and this CAL all night last night.

I have been thinking about this for the longest time, and was thinking that a CAL would be good motivation. I have had many positive habit and life-changing experiences thanks to Crochetville:yay, and this life-change would be the ULTIMATE!

I would agree with RoseRed, though.... I personally don't respond well to punishments. IMHO, quitting is stressful enough all on its own, I really think the energy in a group like this should be positive:hug

I know that this habit is stupid, expensive and a totally unproductive use of my time, and really want to stop. I just don't feel like spending money to kill myself anymore.

Perhaps if we could just be here to support each other, and each pick the 1 thing we've always wanted to :crocheting, we could have something. I really like the idea of stating what it is you will be making. Let's think about this, and make the journey together! If you were to change your first post to make it welcoming and encouraging, I would be willing to bet we could have quite a group here! I hesitated to reply initially, because the rules are :scared scary.

Please know that you are not alone, and that we still could give each other a :kick now and again :yes

Thank you for having the courage to start this thread (i, for one, have been wanting one of these for a long time)... it's a wonderful first step! I'll be around, and would embrace the chance to be part of a positive journey. ...come to think of it, I guess I just made MY first step :jumpyay

Let's face it, none of us want to be in SuperGranny's shoes (:ty, SuperGranny for that story:hug)

So whaddya think?:hug

Hi, glad to see you had the courage to take it on and start this thread. I didn't have problems with quitting, it was staying "quit" that got me.

And the part of being treated like a third class citizen.

I have cut down alot (after having quit 3 times). The support system is the key, without it folks tend to return to their old friends, the ciggarettes.

A scientific finding is that quitting smoking is comparable to Heroin withdrawal.

I've tried them all, mints, patches, pills and none have worked for me.

So I will lurk here for awhile and hopefully find something that clicks and I can really quit.

I started smoking when I was about 13 years old. I tried to quit numerous times, used pretty much every type of quit-smoking product on the market, and had no luck. As someone pointed out, rewards and punishment don't seem to work for much of anyone with this particular problem either.

I finally (after 21 years) quit smoking 17 months ago. :clap

After watching my 4-year-old daughter pretend to smoke, I went to talk to my doctor and she put me on Chantix. I was smoking less and less after I started taking it and just quit after about a month of the pills. I stayed on the pills for about 4 months after I quit. I did have a couple different periods where I really wanted a cigarette, but I made it through those and haven't really had any cravings at all for a long time now. I'm sure that teaching myself to crochet last May (2008) probably helped also. :D

I know the Chantix doesn't work for everyone, but I was really surprised how "easy" it made it for me to quit...especially after trying EVERYTHING else that had been available before that.

I sincerely wish everyone the best of luck with quiting. I know it has really changed things for me...plus I can spend that extra $55 a week on yarn now :eek!

I think that a quit smoking CAL is a good idea, but how about if we were to assign partners that we could pm or chat with on here for motivation and for every pack that we buy we crochet something small for our partner like a scrubbie or a square etc... and at the end of each month we send out the items that we made with the idea that by a date that we all pick for ourselves we shouldn't have any more items to send to our partner.

I started smoking when I was about 13 years old. I tried to quit numerous times, used pretty much every type of quit-smoking product on the market, and had no luck. As someone pointed out, rewards and punishment don't seem to work for much of anyone with this particular problem either.

I finally (after 21 years) quit smoking 17 months ago. :clap

After watching my 4-year-old daughter pretend to smoke, I went to talk to my doctor and she put me on Chantix. I was smoking less and less after I started taking it and just quit after about a month of the pills. I stayed on the pills for about 4 months after I quit. I did have a couple different periods where I really wanted a cigarette, but I made it through those and haven't really had any cravings at all for a long time now. I'm sure that teaching myself to crochet last May (2008) probably helped also. :D

I know the Chantix doesn't work for everyone, but I was really surprised how "easy" it made it for me to quit...especially after trying EVERYTHING else that had been available before that.

I sincerely wish everyone the best of luck with quiting. I know it has really changed things for me...plus I can spend that extra $55 a week on yarn now :eek!

I smoked for 14 years and the Chantix made it easy for me, too. Didn't want to smoke while on it and haven't wanted to since quitting (I'm not on the Chantix anymore either).

I agree with the support aspect of a CAL, but also agree that the rules might be too strict. Everyone needs to find something that will work for them. It's a great idea though!

Well, I am aboard even if I am not doing a great job at it. I have been consistent about not smoking during the day, only at night after dinner and before bed.

That is my time to crochet. I have a dress that is almost finished. I only have 1 and a half sleeves left. I want to finish it so bad because I know if I put it down I will never pick it back up again. But I am so bored with this stitch! And I know that it is going to be too big for me. :( So it is hard to motivate myself to spend my time crocheting. I know when I start something new I will be so absorbed that I won't get up to smoke as much. My goal tonight is to finish the dress. So that this weekend, I can start something new and not sit at home and smoke all weekend.

Hi-

I am in. I am excited to do this! :cheer I really want to be done with this disgusting habit:yuck

Here is my plan:

I have made a list of triggers and list of "WHY's" for quitting. these will be staying with me at all times.

Saturday, buy the gum. I can't see my doctor till the fall, so I can't get that Chantix. But I have been wanting to try with the gum, so I think I am in the right frame of mind to be successful with it?

Sunday is my preparation day. I will be lining up some nice relaxing :crocheting projects to carry me through the urges. Some will be quick and small. There will be one ongoing large project that will be the symbol of this :gift that I am giving myself. I also plan to have smaller projects in baskets in my "trigger" spots.

Monday, June 15 is my quit day!

I will not be punishing myself if I slip up. I just need to remember that SMOKING IS NO LONGER AN OPTION!

I know I will need a lot of help, too. I have tried before, and cannot do it alone. I hope that we can support each other here:hug

So with that in mind:

RoseRed - I hope that you are doing good. Don't worry, you're not alone anymore if you want to hang here with me! Together, we can do this! and don't beat yourself up about that purchase you made... let's just move forward, ok?

MissMadeline - Good for you!! :cheer It sounds like you're doing great! You've cut back a lot, right? and I hope that you finish that sweater so you can pick a project that really excites you! I can't wait to hear what you've chosen!

autumn_nights84 - glad to see you here with us! you can PM me anytime, or just post here... I am online in the morning, afternoon, evening and later at night. Maybe this group could try to come up with some sort of routine so that none of us are "alone"?

:waving, HappyOldCro - glad to know you're here! Say :hi to us once in a while, ok?

Braxxi, Nicolep, and SuperGranny - It sure would be cool if you could check in on us! All of your stories are very inspiring! :manyheart

Nikka_hotpinkpixy - I think your group has arrived!!!!:hug Hope you are hanging in there! How is that kitten coming along?

Well, girls... Whaddya think? Is it time to make some new friends, or what? :wink:ghug

Nikka I hope you find your motivation...

One of my worst triggers for smoking was driving my car. as soon as I got in I would buckle my seat belt turn on the ignition and light a cigarette

I had to find something different to do...

when I could drive again I would get in buckle up and open up a bottle of water and take a drink... then I would chew on a straw or suck on a lollipop.

you have to find your triggers and find something else to do in it's place. If you find yourself smoking in a certain spot and you are able avoid it don't go to that spot. If you find yourself smoking everytime you are around a certain friend,call them on the phone or e-mail them for awhile instead of being with them in person.

Hi all, ex smoker here. As a health care professional I can tell you that there are many free quit smoking materials available. Google your area to see if you qualify for free gum/patches. In my area at least it is not based on financial need.

Nikka I hope you find your motivation...

One of my worst triggers for smoking was driving my car. as soon as I got in I would buckle my seat belt turn on the ignition and light a cigarette

I had to find something different to do...

when I could drive again I would get in buckle up and open up a bottle of water and take a drink... then I would chew on a straw or suck on a lollipop.

you have to find your triggers and find something else to do in it's place. If you find yourself smoking in a certain spot and you are able avoid it don't go to that spot. If you find yourself smoking everytime you are around a certain friend,call them on the phone or e-mail them for awhile instead of being with them in person.

:lol, sounds good but my biggest "triger" is the computer. It isn't all that fast, even though I have DSL and do all the required maintenance. So wait and light up is my issue here.

Hi-

:waving, HappyOldCro - glad to know you're here! Say :hi to us once in a while, ok?

Well, girls... Whaddya think? Is it time to make some new friends, or what? :wink:ghug

Of all the posts here, although inspiring, I find yours the most motivating.

It is upbeat and not depressing. I get alot of inspiring and scolding from dh, who quit two years ago, on chantix. I tried the chantix and got very ill, :think:eek so had to quit the chantix. All the non smoking or quit smoking aids are like other meds, some people can tolerate them and some can't.

I have a history of problems with meds, even antibiotics, so it is always touch and go, try this or that for any medication I use.

I really want to quit, I hate the ashes and nicotine on the things by my pc :P. And I am constantly told to look at all the things I could buy if I didn't smoke, but alas I am not money motivated. If I don't have the cash to buy them, I just wait til I do. I am pretty good at getting through a few days, but then my anxiety levels rise and I get to that "fight or flight" level, and since I don't drive, can't walk for any decent length of time, try to avoid my triger areas, I wind up in the fight mode, with anyone, anything, anytime. I am on anti anxiety meds to help, but they increase my tremors so I cannot crochet or do anything useful with hands, thus my frustration rises even more.

Sometimes I feel like I am on a treadmill going nowhere, but I can't find the switch to turn it off :(.

As an abused (both physically and mentally) and lonely child I developed a very strong survival and self defense mechanism. Therefore I tend to rebel against people who judge me and try to force me to do things.

So why can't I rebel against this dumb habit? God knows I have tried.

I've all but given up.

So I lurk here hoping that someone, somewhere has the patience to hold my hand and say, "Come on, we will walk through this together".

I was going to just PM you, as I really don't feel comfortable airing my problems for all to see (that fear of being judged, or condemned kicking in). But decided that (like an alcoholic) I need to be honest, with myself and others, if I am ever going to succeed.

:hug

Now you will have to excuse me while I head to the bathroom, turn on the vent and have a ciggarette.

OK so i would like to share with you i was a heavy smoker. I started when i was about 12 by the time i was 16 i was already pack a day and by the time i was 21 probably 2 packs where i stayed for a lot of years. I managed to quit while i was pregnant but started right back up right where i left off tried numerous times to quit even managed to quit once for almost 1 year but went right back to it. I tried not smoking in the house didn't stop me, didn't smoke in the car. My son from school age on begged me not to smoke. I am a nurse so i really know what its like to see people with end stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. And i know how hard it is to quit. When i finally decided this was it, i picked up my crocheting every time i wanted a smoke. I even took it to work with me and told everyone this is my smoke break. Eventually i cut down to 1/2 pack every other day then i quit but i wouldn't have been able to do it without the crocheting. I haven't smoked in about 15 years but there are still some days where i want one but i know if i did i would go right back to pack a day or more. So i still grab my crochet when i get the feeling. I know how hard this is so i really congratulate you on continuing to try don't stop. It will work. :cheer

Hey ladies! Check out the new rules! Whaddya think? Will they work? Let me know! The new rules start Tomorrow.

:ty, Nikka for the rewrite of the rules! WTG! they are much more positive, I think:hug

Of all the posts here, although inspiring, I find yours the most motivating.

It is upbeat and not depressing. I get alot of inspiring and scolding from dh, who quit two years ago, on chantix. I tried the chantix and got very ill, :think:eek so had to quit the chantix. All the non smoking or quit smoking aids are like other meds, some people can tolerate them and some can't.

I have a history of problems with meds, even antibiotics, so it is always touch and go, try this or that for any medication I use.

I really want to quit, I hate the ashes and nicotine on the things by my pc :P. And I am constantly told to look at all the things I could buy if I didn't smoke, but alas I am not money motivated. If I don't have the cash to buy them, I just wait til I do. I am pretty good at getting through a few days, but then my anxiety levels rise and I get to that "fight or flight" level, and since I don't drive, can't walk for any decent length of time, try to avoid my triger areas, I wind up in the fight mode, with anyone, anything, anytime. I am on anti anxiety meds to help, but they increase my tremors so I cannot crochet or do anything useful with hands, thus my frustration rises even more.

Sometimes I feel like I am on a treadmill going nowhere, but I can't find the switch to turn it off :(.

As an abused (both physically and mentally) and lonely child I developed a very strong survival and self defense mechanism. Therefore I tend to rebel against people who judge me and try to force me to do things.

So why can't I rebel against this dumb habit? God knows I have tried.

I've all but given up.

So I lurk here hoping that someone, somewhere has the patience to hold my hand and say, "Come on, we will walk through this together".

I was going to just PM you, as I really don't feel comfortable airing my problems for all to see (that fear of being judged, or condemned kicking in). But decided that (like an alcoholic) I need to be honest, with myself and others, if I am ever going to succeed.

:hug

Now you will have to excuse me while I head to the bathroom, turn on the vent and have a ciggarette.

:ty, HappyOldCro for the kind words! :hug I try to be an upbeat person, and think it's important, especially as we take this thing on!

I can relate to your upbringing, although I was not myself abused, I used to see/hear my mom be... the scars are still deep. the hardest part is realizing that it's NOT your fault, and that you are a valuable person:manyheart...I know, not always easy to remember that, but you MUST! It was very brave of you to share your story with us, you should be proud of yourself for doing so. You can PM me anytime, dear, as I would love to talk about it with you, if you want to :hug

I think that if we stick together, we can do this! I will be more than happy to hold your hand, if you would be willing to do the same for me.:yes

So I guess the first task is to find you something besides butts to have at your computer to get you past the trigger urge. Is it all the time that you can't crochet? what if you had some pattern books that you kept there? That way, your hands would be busy, AND you could relax and enjoy the eyc candy while you wait for your computer? Or think about what makes you feel calm, happy or relaxed.... that's what we're looking for:yes

Your treadmill remark made me chuckle :heehee, I always say I feel like I live in a Hampster Wheel! See? We have much in common.

:hi, Marnie! thanks for sharing your story with us... It's good to know the power of :crocheting CAN work! :cheer

ldyer1 - Thank you, too, for sharing! Great tip about google... I need to go check that out. :manyheart

Super Granny - thanks for the tips for the car! I think I will try them for the phone (that's my worst pitfall:blush)

I know how hard it is to quit especially without any medical assist...I was on so many meds for my heart [and still am - my daughter says I have my own pharmacy] that they would not give me anything... I will tell you quitting something that you have been doing for 35 + years is hard.... there are times when I still wish I had a cigarette and it has been 7 years .... I did not even have antone to talk to about it ....

I am willing to talk to anyone who wants to talk, try to make suggestions [but what worked for me may not work for you] check with me here, PM me or e-mail me I'll be here for you as much as I can

Hi everyone

I think i would love to join in. I have been smoking for over 30 years. I too do not smoke in my house. This does help, more so in the winter when i have to get dressed and go outside to have one.

Iam just going to take one day at a time. I will let you know what my special crochet project will be.

I like the idea of crocheting alittle something for someone when we smoke.

good morning!

:cheer:cheer:cheerMary! It will be wonderful to have you here!:cheer:cheer:cheer

Shell - :hugyou are wonderful, :ty for sharing your tips and being here for all of us! :manyheart

I am off to get my week organized, and get those :crocheting projects lined up!:clap

I'll be back later on... :ghug

Good morning ladies! :cheer

I hope everyone has checked out my new rules! They should be much much MUCH more positive than the ones I had in the beginning. the incentives are rather nice too, dont you think? ;)

I would like to thank LeaAnne for helping me out with this CAL. I can already tell that this is going to be a rather big project.

Also, I thought I'd clarify something. As Shelly said, quitting something you have been doing for years is rather hard. So even if you've officially 'quit' a year ago, four years ago, or twenty years ago, you're still 'quitting.' Its really hard to keep up with it once you've made that commitment. So you're welcome to join! Once a majority of us have been smoke free for about a year or so I'll post the patterns to my blog so that anyone will be able to enjoy them.

Well, I'm of to clean things up and find my projects! See ya'll later :manyheart:D

well, I confess, I bought a pack today. its really hard when my little brother still smokes. i really really REALLY want to have a cig right now, but i don't want to disappoint Jake. he knows i used to smoke, but its still hard. like, really hard. *sigh* plus, i havnt been able to crochet at all today! i cant find my purse for the swap :( hope you guys are having an easier time

Archived