Stop Smoking CAL- REVISED-Revival post #94

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement girls. I love that you're thinking and praying for me. That is awesome! I'm doing really good. I bought this EZ Quit cigarette on the Internet. It just has a little menthol cartridge in it and it is a healthy and harmless way to stop. It actually makes me feel like I had a few cigarettes at once and I don't want any more, so it is working. If you're interested in quitting this way too, go to http://www.ezquit.com and get some. They are really reasonable considering the price of cigarettes these days.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone for all the great encouragement and heartfelt stories.

I am hovering at a few smokes a day 2-5 or so. I only smoke at night and I still haven't gotten my running shoes...but maybe today, since I have to buy some new shoes for my son too.

Nikka! That is awesome! You should be so proud of yourself for going the whole week!!!

Good morning ladies! Well, its week 4, and I'm now 2 weeks smoke free. 2 weeks! :yay But I am concerned about the rest of you. How are you doing Rose Red? Or any of you? I havnt seen a peep on this thread in a looong time and I'm starting to get worried. Just let me know in a PM or whatever that you're still ALIVE and kicking, how your progress is, etc.

Also, I hope everyone had a happy- and safe- fourth of July yesterday. :bounce:bounce

Hi all you non smokers! I am a non smoker. I took part in a self hynosis study to stop smoking. Apparently I wasn't ready to quit, but I did cut back. Then, I had a long talk with myself and decided by my birthday I was going to be a non smoker. I have been a non smoker for three weeks. Some days are really easy. Some aren't. The last two days,for some reason, I have had the urge to smoke so badly. So, I hope it is ok if I vent here just a minute. DH and the kids don't seem to notice how hard it is to keep from going to the store and buying a pack. In fact, I am not getting too much support or encouragement from them at all. I refuse, though, to go buy any more cigarettes. I passed by a guy smoking in his yard yesterday while driving home. I really wanted to jump out of the car and bum a hit off his cigarette!

I think what you all are doing is great! Keep up the fight to quit. I will be working right along with you although I don't post so often on the Ville. One phrase I have posted on little signs to the door to the garage(where I smoked), the fridge, the bathroom mirror is," If you want to change your life, change your mind."

Good luck everyone!

TX CrochetLover: That is the best saying! Thank you for sharing your story with us!

Hi, Nikka! I am PROUD OF YOU, GIRL!!!!:hug:cheer:clap

MissMadeline & RoseRed - How's it going with you?

Lisa - praying for you...

so, it hasn't been going so great for me... I keep trying, though. 1 day good, 1 day bad. And that's how it's been for me. I have the gum, but it doesn't seem to do it for me. :sigh

Sorry for not posting here for a while, we just got back from 4th of July vacation.

I am thinking of all of you....

:hug

Ugh. I have been about the same for a few weeks. About 4-5 a day....all after 7pm. But I am so ready to quit. With all the stress at home....a couple of smokes aren't really making it go away. So I am really really really going to stop. Really. I am so mad at so many things....I need something good for me. So starting today. No More. I haven't been on the 'Ville in a while...no internet at home and busy at work....but this is the most inspirational thing that I have! Thanks, everyone!

good evening ladies. the fad here seems to be that most people post once a week. That's fine with me, concidering I dont get much time to do much more than that myself. Things have been great ciggie wise, but stress has escalated. and i figured something out about myself that i'm not so happy about. i'm a shopaholic. when i was smoking it wasn't really too bad, i still spend way too much money. but now that i'm not smoking, its worse. yesterday we went to the state fair, with a budget of 50. i spent over a HUNDRED fifty before six. and now my checkbook is feeling it. i dont have the money to do that sort of thing, especially since i need to get a car :( i have one picked out grandma just has to co sign, but i have no idea how i'm going to pay the loan off. i get social security checks once a month ever since my mom died but that's going to be cutting off soon, because i'm over the age of 18. i'm barely 18 and a half! things just arnt looking good right now. :( but i'm happy to say that i'm done with smoking. its coming up to 3 weeks now. ladies, i know that you can do this. it was probably so much easier for me because i'm younger. i hadnt been smoking for most of my life. but i know that if you realy want to you'll do it. i believe in every one of you.

• 1 month later...

Hi all! Just wanted to post an update. I have passed my two month mark of not smoking! There are days when I really want a cigarette, but I am pretty sure, smoking one would gag me. So, how is everyone else doing on their journey?

My hats off to everyone that is taking the long, hard journey to stop smoking. I've never understtod people that tell a smoker "just give them up, it can't be too hard." BS!!! I imagine that would be like telling an alcoholic to go cold turkey. Ain't gonna happen without protest from your body.

While I am a non-smoker, I will be supportive where I can of anyone that is struggling with this. After all, you have to want to quit, smoking or booze, before you have a snowball's chance of making it work.:flower

I really want to quit smoking, I am going to make my quit date Sept. 6th so I have time to prepare my self and cute down on my CIGS. I have some nic. gum to help when the time comes.

I notice this CAL and I thought I can share my story. :) No need to read the post. I want to show my support to fellow crocheters. I was there where you are going through now.

I am a nonsmoker for almost four years. I have been a smoker since I was 13 years old. I become a heavy smoker when I was 16 years old. I hide it from my parents until I have to blow my birthday cake by myself, surrounded by relatives and friends. :blush They truly detest smoking. I went cold turkey as my parents gave me no choice. They make me to go out and smoke in my pajamas at the balcony in the snow during winters. My high school did the same with the students when they sneak out between classes. I think some staff have to do the same, even one teacher (smoker) show the students which bathroom is okay to smoke in. Irony, isn't it ?

When I went cold turkey, my parents refuse to give me allowance. I have to get a part time job if I want to buy cigarettes. I am okay about it, as I know they mean well, a case of tough love.

Anyway, I went back to smoking in college but I went cold turkey on and off through my life. With each quitting times, it get better and longer between cravings. Even a month ago (after four years of no smoking), I got 'out of blue' cravings for few days which is a rarity.

I discovered my triggers and I try to avoid them. I change my habits into positive and healthy ones. For example, yoga breathing exercises really help me a lot. I got into yoga about ten years ago, and my cravings really reduce over time. Out of blue cravings remind me that I am just a human. It don't mean that I have to fall for it, and that I have the strength to ride the 'waves'. That's why I like the quote below. :)

"I would rather be a quitter with an occasional urge to smoke than a smoker with a constant desire to quit."

:hug:hug:hugNikka! I am so sorry to hear your news:(

Don't give up, though... be strong... we are here for you:hug

TX Crochetlover: congratulations on your 2 month 'versary! :cheer:cheerWay to Go!!!:cheer

RoseRed: Keep trying... it's very frustrating, but be positive... you CAN :kick this! :hug

• 1 month later...

All right ladies. There has been a lot going on and my urge to quit went down the drain the past few months. But now, I'm back and with a vengeance! I am going to quit smoking if its the last thing I do, which it very well may be ;) smoking is a constant struggle, you are always a quitter just like being an alcoholic. And being a quitter never felt so good! So what do you say? How about picking up those hooks again and joining me? I promise i'll make it worth your while! :cheer:cheer:cheer

After reading most of this thread, I have decided that my Christmas gift to my family will be for me to quit smoking. I am 35 and have been smoking since I was 17. I average about a pack a day. I quit with each of my pregnancies but started right back up. I will probably spend the next week or 2 paying close attention to my habits and try to determine what my triggers are. Hopefully I will be smoke free by Thanksgiving. That way by Christmas it will have been right at a month smoke-free.

Hello to every quitter, great to have you Jennifer! Quitting is really REALLY hard, but we're all in this together. My project will be my winter set for myself. i have the scarf done, i'm designing gloves and a hat to go with it. i have had 2 cigarettes today, but i am not gonna buy anymore packs.

I offically quit last Monday. I haven't had a day without cheating yet but I CAN BREATHE!!!!! It's too hard to quit and I've come so far this week that I refuse to go back.

That and I will not pay more than $5 a pack for cheap smokes.

Congrats to all who quit! I started at 17 and decided to quit a little over a year ago (20 years of smoking). I decided to try Chantix and before I started it I did a lot of mental prep. I was a very heavy smoker who never ever thought I would quit...but I did...July 27, 2008. Have not slipped or been tempted to. That is not to say that there were not times when I would have eaten one...but the moments were brief and passed. I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a doll house kit. Something tedious and new to keep my hands and mind occupied while I chewed lots and lots of gum.

**I had no bizarre issues with chantix...only vivid dreams and they were never bad.

• 1 month later...

:waving, all~

I am proud to say that I have been smoke-free since 11/22/09!:cheer:clap

I was taking Chantix (which is expensive but really DOES work!), but ended up getting a bit of a rash. So... from here on out, I go it on my own.:clap:cheer

What a wonderful feeling to have that chain broken :whew!!!! I smoked for close to 25 years... and am proud to say that it is quickly becoming a distant memory. Each day the urges are less and less and easier to talk myself through.

My "best friends" now? A great big cup of water with a straw, a :chook, some :yarn, and my wonderful friends right here at C'Ville!!! (oh, and did I mention how much better food tastes & smells?:P:yes)

If you have just quit: be Strong :cheer

If you want to quit: do it! :yes You CAN!!! :cheer

If you are thinking about it: :cheer:cheer

This is the very best gift I have ever given MYSELF!!! It didn't work until I did it for me, and I was truly ready ...

Blessings to you all~ I am thinking of you:hug:hug

Archived