opinions please

I just found out DH's cousin is having a baby girl and the baby shower is in Aug, I'd like to make her a blanket but money is a bit tight right now. i have 9 skeins of Vanna's Choice in Rose I picked up on clearance at Michael's and 3 skeins of RH Soft in Fuschia, I was thinking of doing a RR with them and making it larger so she can use it for many years. Does this sound okay as a baby gift???

that sounds like a nice gift to me. If you wanted to break up the colors a little more if you have any white on hand you could do a few rows of white in it also. but I think the rose and fuschia sound nice.

That sounds like a good idea. I also have made a baby afghan a little bigger than I would normally make it when the baby is due in a warm weather month. I do this because by the time the weather is cool enough to use an afghan with a baby the baby is no longer newborn size. Then later the afghan can be used as a naptime "blankie."

RRs are perfect for when you have a set amount of yarn and can't get more. You can just make it as big as your yarn allows, and not worry about having enough to finish a pattern. I agree with the suggestion to add some white if you have it on hand. I think that would look great! :cheer

Be sure to show us a picture when you finish!

Sounds great to me!!!! I agree with the others, colors are great and make it bigger for future use.

thanks ladies, I figured the RR was perfect bc then I could stop when I'm getting low on yarn

sounds great. be sure to post a pic when you get done. If you have it on hand, an occasional row of white, like happy stitcher suggested, would break it up some; but it will be fine w/o it.

Okay, I've now added a RR afghan to my "to do" list for this year. I've been admiring them but it never occured to me that it could be made any size you wanted. I have quite a bit of yarn to use up. A good bit of it is yarn I've bought with something else in mind for it but a RR afghan would be perfect. I'm glad I checked this thread to see what had been posted after I had posted to it earlier. This is going to be fun if I can find the time.

I think that's a wonderful idea. I always love handmade gifts, they mean SO much more to me than store-bought ones. And the bigger blanket would work for SO many more years to come!!

Archived