Your Choice Lace KAL - Starting in June

HomekeepingGran

Hi all!!

I've been down but not out.(yet);)

I'm working on a Seraphina Shawl with RH LusterSheen in Natural for my MIL. Hubbie is going to take a trip up to NM for a Green Chili run Labor Day weekend. I can't go with him so his DD or GDS might go with him..

Here is what I have done so far on Leah's Throw.. Nice easy knit, but I'm going to need more yarn then the pattern calls for.. I'll wait til the end to see how much more.. My squares are about 1/2 inch shorter then gauge..

HKG- glad your hand is doing better.

Kelly- Hope you feel better and visit those Turkeys, I guess they did miss you they wasnted to come in to visit you..

Wiz- You are one busy lady..;) :hotHere too. Going for 106 today..

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Girls, I hope everyone is doing well :yes

I figure it was time I posted a picture or two of the sunshine scarf getting close to 62inches , and the other one I picked up again ..that I was knitting for my daughter that she said she did not like but now she does ..:think...:lol

I go back and forth :crocheting them .

post-6068-135897434892_thumb.jpg

post-6068-135897434896_thumb.jpg

Ooooooo nice, Anna! How much more Sunshine Scarf will you knit? And kids! That sounds about right. Today I like it, tomorrow I don't — the next? Maybe! And how are your pets doing? Mr. Turkey and friends?

mamaoso, I kind of lost count on how many Seraphinas I've made. What is yours like? Solid, striped or what? Mine were all solids. The prettiest was done with baby yarn and a size K hook. It was so soft and delicate. Mother wanted an off-white and she needed acrylic so it could easily wash. I tea-dyed a white Seraphina to a lovely off-white after I finished crocheting it. It went to my sweet sis-in-law when Mother died and looks really great with her red hair.

I'm wanting to get back to my lacey knitted scarf but I have to finish this embroidery piece before anything else. There is a deadline on it. I'm about halfway done with the flowers. After that the hymn verses start. Eeep! I need to get busy!

Carla ,

Turkeys :tdanceare fine ,babies are getting bigger ..last morning I had to rescue a possum stuck in my neighbors garbage can ..The neighbors have not been their in a week or two ,and I kept hearing scratches around their porch so I took my little flashlight and took a look inside the can and sure enough there was a mama possum and about 10 little babies ..:eek.. I waited till sun up and took the can with mama and babies up to the woods , lay the can down and waited for her to get out ..:yes The only thing she seemed to have a plastic bag tied around her tail ..:( I hope she would be able to take it off . Then one of my other neighbors handed me four finches that his mother had, she could not take care anymore ..he knew I have inside birds , so I had to set up another cage for them ..I have an African Grey ,a English budgie, 2 Rosie Bourke's Parakeets , and now 3 Zebra Finches and 1 Spice finch ..:D Still a far cry from what I use to have (over 200 birds) That I don't want to get back too :whew.

The Sunshine scarf I think about another 12 to 16 inches more maybe...:think

Carla make sure you take a picture of the embroidery piece you are doing so we could see your work..:yes

Carla- I'm doing my Seraphina with RH Luster Sheen Natural. She wanted a plain shawl. I made her one with the Blessed Mother and she wore it once and everybody was comng up to her and wanting to know where she got it and touching it. She didn't like that.:lol

GK to the rescue!! Possum thought that was a good place to hid but when it came to get te babies out..:think

Good luck with the finches..

Plastic bags! :angry Evil things! You pressed my button, Anna! We are trying so hard to reduce our bag usage to nothing or practically nothing. Over time I've made a bunch of cloth bags for groceries and other purchases. I still have trouble remembering to take them into the stores, so often, if my purchase is small, I refuse the bag and bag it into a cloth one in the car, where I (duh) have left them. I hope your poor mama possum will be able to rid herself of the bag and that no other creature gets tangled up in it. Opossums are really good with their hands/paws but other creatures don't have their dexterity. Unfortunately they are not keeping up with this blog, but take a look at the turtle found caught in a plastic ring when a baby. And look at the videos about the ocean gyres full of our plastic garbage.

Man, take away my soapbox, would 'ya?

I am lost, mamaoso. Blessed Mother? Are you talking about a picture crocheted into the shawl?

OK, I'll try to put up a pic of my progress on the embroidery. I'm afraid I didn't do much yesterday and won't today either. I see my pulmonologist this afternoon and spent the morning doing housework. Later, I guess.

Carla I am in that soapbox with you ..:( I have watched that show about the ocean with the floating plastic islands it makes me so mad. I have bought the reusable bags that the store sales and I have them in the car all the time . When we buy groceries and empty then out they they go on my chair so when hubby or I go food shopping we are reminded to take them with us :yes

I love the Sam's ones my daughter works there and she gets them for me ..

post-6068-135897436122_thumb.jpg

Carla I am in that soapbox with you ..:( I have watched that show about the ocean with the floating plastic islands it makes me so mad. I have bought the reusable bags that the store sales and I have them in the car all the time . When we buy groceries and empty then out they they go on my chair so when hubby or I go food shopping we are reminded to take them with us :yes

I love the Sam's ones my daughter works there and she gets them for me ..

I lurk in this thread recently. I have to said I love the chair (with the bag hanging on it) in the picture. :lol

I have a lace-based afghan that is pretty an UFO. I will pull it out when it's more cooler as it 's all bulky yarn. I did some lace projects but I tried to do any projects that didn't require blocking. I hate blocking. ;)

I also have some silk yarn (hand dyed in soft blues) that I always want to transform into a lacy shawl or scarf. I am waiting on a pattern that call on me.

Thanks Diane, and Welcome

That was the first gift I gave my hubby before we got married ..He is an Arborist (tree Doctor). That is a hand carved out of a Teak tree trunk it weights a ton .If there was ever a fire in the house that chair I think he would save first.:lol That is why I have it by the front door..;)

I hate blocking too ,so I try to find lace projects and use yarns or thread more for the texture and how it looks ..:crocheting..without blocking it .

Cool chair, Anna! Very cool. Tell your husband he did a super job on the chair! And the Sam's bags are attractive, which my homemade ones aren't, but they were cheap and are plentiful now that I've gradually made about 15 or so. I keep looking at all the plastic in the house and wondering how can I reduce other use besides bags. They say birds and fish are showing up with things like toothbrushes or syringes inside them. :eek This is horrible. The last day or so I've been thinking about using an old fashioned square of cotton cloth instead of a toothbrush when the ones I have now wear out. But that is really minor. Plastic is absolutely everywhere in our lives and it's hard to escape.

Diane! Welcome, and so glad you came out of Lurkdom! I hated blocking, too, until I bit the bullet and got some lace wires from KnitPicks. Nice. Worth every penny, really. Lace really blooms into something special when blocked. And... I'm not reeeeeeeeally a big enabler, not like some I know but I do have a favorite lace designer. Anne Hanson has splendid patterns, reasonably priced, and you can download to your computer if you wish.

Maybe tomorrow I can get a pic up of my embroidery. Maybe.

Yawn. I need to go to bed soon. Good night, friends. Sleep tight.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ladies ...

It's been a little quiet here :( Tammy get better soon!! Carla how is your hand doing ?? and you Mamaoso how are you doing ??

I have been busy with my garden that I have cucumbers and tomatoes like crazy ..I also have pumpkins growing they are taking over the yard :eek ..All hubby sees is pumpkin pies ..:lol ..Well I got a pair of the new needles from Knit-Picks the Zephyr ones size 4 (3.5) and I a pattern in mind to knit with them..:yes Still knitting the sunshine scarf getting near the end :clap But I ended up starting an easy triangle shawl with TLC Cotton Plus I had in my stash , that I have not been able to put down :knit..I like it when you have a pattern you don't have to think too much when knitting :yes Here is the shawl .

post-6068-13589744119_thumb.jpg

post-6068-135897441194_thumb.jpg

Hello ladies

As you may or may not know I recently underwent surgery for a ruptured disc in my back. I know that my DH tried to keep Tampa Doll aka Mary Jo updatd but now that I am home I can do it myself. I am not able to do much yet but I am itching to be able to knit and crochet again soon. I miss everybody so much!!!!

Ana I was just looking through this thread and wow have you been busy. Oh and I love that teak chair. What a great wood for that chair. Gorgeous!

Well I have a few PM's to answer and I hope to get to a chair again today. If so I am going to attempt to work on a wip for a bit. I will have to see how it goes. Talk to you soon.

I'm glad you got that disc fixed, Tammy! So glad. Now you just have to settle back and let your body heal. I know your husband is after you all the time but, do take it easy. :hug Are you able to knit or crochet a little to pass the time, or do you have to wait a while yet?

Hi, Ana. What a pretty shawl! I've been thinking about a very simple shawl or stole in a rich winter color. Something nice for warmth, don't you know? Yours is pretty and looks really warm, too. I'm just not sure I can handle that much garter stitch, although it works up nicely. Oh, and tell your hubby pumpkin can be eaten stewed and plain as well as pies. If he is like mine, that won't be a bit appealing to him. OK, pumpkin bread or cake, maybe?

Diane, did you ever decide on a lace pattern?

Girls, I've got just the littlest bit left on my embroidery. I've been waylaid by a garage-painting project. I really want to finish the stitching this weekend and get it to my friend before she leaves next week. Then if my hand will be happy with it I hope to return to my lacey knitted scarf. I am missing it! I think the hand will cooperate. We'll see!

Gran - No, not yet.

On "Knitting Daily" show, I eyed Nancy Bush's estonian knitting shawl they have on an episode. Also, there is a lovely scarf, fingerless mittens and hat lace pattern on another episode - a set that could be done on one skein of yarn supposingly. I will go and look at their website sometimes. The website suppose to have pattern and information.

I decide to work on some old UFOs before I can play with my silk yarn. One WIP do have the lace section of the afghan I am doing now. It's "Learn to Knit Afghan Book" by Barbara G. Walker. In the Sky Cal, some ladies are working on it. We are working on twisted stitch section starting this week.

Soon, I have to look at my budget and see if I should buy new yarns for my lace afghan. I might end up frogging it all and start all over again. For now, I am waiting on the summer to be all gone, so I can work with super bulky yarn.

I have that book, Diane. What a lovely bit of eye candy it is, too! Several of the stoles and shawls are under consideration around here, LOL. I think you have to read very carefully and be obssessive when you set them up though. As I recall, Stephanie McPhee went through a lot of grief getting one of them cast on and ready to go. Buying more laceweight, huh. Do you like KnitPicks? Their prices are very reasonable and the yarns are not bad.

I finished the embroidery and have a link here. Finished Embroidery

Gran, that's so beautiful!

There is a local store that sell lace and textiles. I hesitated to call it a LYS. It's more than just a yarn store. It's pratically a musesum in its respect even if it's actually a store.

http://lacis.com/

Check the first two links. Look up knitting and crochet in the catalog. You will see what I mean. This store sell the fine weight yarn, accessories and more. It's just few miles away from me. One day, I will take some pictures and share them. :)

You are near Lacis! Swoon — I'm swooning... I read about them in magazines all the time! I know, I know, they are ultimately just a museum-y store but how I would love to poke around in there, Diane. Do they LET you take pictures in there? For some reason I am thinking that the pictures which go out are by them, professionally. I guess one of the things which really appeals to me is their expertise on so many topics. You just don't find that in the average LYS.

Can I come see you, Diane? :D

Oh, and thank you so much for the nice compliment. I'm wanting to do another cloth with a fall theme but don't have a pattern yet.

Welcome Diane!

Good morning all. I am doing fine. I cannow sit for short periods of time up to an hour or so, so I can now knit or crochet a bit. WooHoo!

Carla - I saw your cloths. WOW! nice work.

I miss everybody. I started on a monks bag ( not lace but it is knit) and I cant wait to get it finished. This one will take awhile since I am a slow knitter and I can only work for a short time here and there but Ireally like it so far. the pattern is pretty boring though. Mainly seed stitch or stockingnet but I love the bag so I will drudge through it.

I did start the egeblad again but cant seem to work with that small stuff right now. Maybe when I can sit here a little longer. Maybe I will actually finish the scarf I started. It is just been too hot to want to work with mohair.

Well off to see whats going on so talk to you later.

Tammy

Yay, Tammy! So glad you are getting better. So glad you are able to do some handcrafts to occupy your mind and hands! Now you have me interested in your monk's bag. What does it look like? Any pictures to link to? :D

Carla here is the link to the monks bag I am working on now. http://knittingdaily.com/media/p/14015.aspx

I am making it with cotton. The gusset and straps in a light brown, the front and back in a varigated dark brown, light brown and white and I am using a dark chocolate brown for the parts shown in red on the pattern. I love it because it will be big enough to carry some of my larger whips along with all my needles patterns and whatever. It has a pocket on the back and one inside that you dont see but I may add one or two on the front for my cell and sunglasses. Not sure yet. First I have to get the main parts of the bag done before I think about making all the pockets. I only wish it wasn't so boring to stitch. I will have to work a few rows everyday between other projects or it will become another of the UFO's piling up. Right now I only have a few of those so I dont have to do a marithon yet. I dont think I could right now even if I wanted to.

Hi Ladies !

Carla , your embroidery came out beautiful..:yes

:clap Tammy getting back to normal ..but take your time ..:hug

I have had that monks bag in my favorites for a while :yes

Still trying to finish the multi color shawl .I had to double the rows to make it long enough..I am ready to bind off :crocheting the weather here in western Pa had gotten chilly :yes and the shawl is nice and comfy ..:heehee

I really like the monk's bag. I eyed it when I watch the "Gritty Knitty" reruns. Is the assembling part easy to do ? Let me know when you reach that part!

Gran - Sure, you can come here if you are local. :) I do have a futon bed in the living room for overnight guests. The store is just about 1-2 miles away if you are willing to walk. The parking is difficult but doable. I will check with them about the pictures. I plan to use my cell phone to be more discreet about it. I will try to do it next week or so.

I got some extra money in the budget. I have to pay off the necesseries (I curse the bills!) first. Hopefully, I can afford to buy some new yarn for mom's lace afghan and a crocheted project I started few weeks ago.

Right-o. I'll see you someday, Diane! :wink Let's see, the last time I was in California was... about 14 years ago, but who knows?

You know, whenever I find myself moaning about bills, I then remember to thank God that we have the money to pay them. What a blessing it is to have the homes, utilities and even fun things like computers that we have. The Lord is good to us even when times are difficult.

Well, I haven't started back knitting but crocheting! Believe it or not I damaged the same finger that I just had surgery on by picking up a full gallon of paint by the wire bale. :ohdear It's getting well gradually but a knitting needle doesn't feel so hot against the sore spot. I am so pleased to be able to crochet again though and have a smallish doily on the hook, one I've wanted to make for a long time and bought the thread for this past spring. Plus, I think I'm headed over to the next town to get some fall colored embroidery threads for another embroidery project.

Ain't crafting fun!

Archived