Your Choice Lace KAL - Starting in June

HomekeepingGran

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning. It's supposed to be in the high 90s here today. Summer officially begins on Sunday but I would say it's about here. This is the time of year when I hate having something big in my lap to work on. I began re-hemming a dress a couple of days ago and even though the hem is pretty narrow, I still don't want all that dress draped across my lap so it's moving quite slowly!

I was thinking about KIP — not the World Day for KIP but just KIP or CIP in general. Here in the U.S. South people are very open and friendly so practically every time someone asks me what I am making. Often the person has no real idea if it is knitted or crocheted, or even that there is a difference, but I do get asked. I once had a gentleman comment on my crochet, mentioning that his grandmother made things like that all the time. I was deep into a doily at the moment and it was pleasant to chat for a bit about his grandmother and handicrafts in general. Of course, there are always those who ask if you make them to sell. Nooooooooooo, I'm far too slow and you couldn't pay even minimum wage at my speed. A lady at a bookstore said that if I ever started to make things for people she was interested. Around here far more people crochet than knit but it is not that way in other parts of the country.

What KIP/CIP encounters do you have?

Well, ladies, I'm just not making any headway with my knitting. :( I afraid I was stupid enough to try to crank out a simple crocheted string bag (quickly, I thought, and get it out of the way) but it has really messed up my hands. Today is... painful. And of all the crazy things, I can't get my medicine bottle opened for my anti-inflammatory, since I was dumb enough to actually close it up and my husband is at work! LOL, I'm so dumb. After I shower I may take it to a neighbor to open for me. Can you imagine? In the meantime I am using lots of Ibuprofen but it usually takes both the prescription and the Ibuprofen to get some real relief.

I'm only 58, for pete's sake, and it looks like my hands are shot!

I know everyone is busy. Summer comes and we think things will relax but often, they just assume a different kind of business. I hope each of you is able to work some on your lace project. It's going to be so fun so see all the progress. Knit on, friends!

Kelly I would love to hear about your WWKP. We are having one in my city on the 20th and I can't wait.

The day was great :dance here are some of the hightlights:

• chat with fibre friends :blah
  • "network" with a few regarding possible job opportunities :tup
  • get help with a pattern I have been struggling with:knit
  • get my "passport" for the staycations (the new knit along at the LYS is to "travel" the world and do a project per port ~ 1st port is Fugi we are making flowers):sun

Also Wishing a speedy recovery or at least the ability to open the medicine bottle to you Carla :hug

Thanks Kelly. BTW what exactly is staycations? Sounds fun.

Staycation is staying at home for your vacation due to the economy :(

Hi Ladies. I have been biting at the bit to do the Egeblad so I am going to start it in July. Anyone want to join me? I am 1/2 way through the scarf and all my major projects are out of the way now except for my "secret" one. I work on that as I can but it is totally an endulgence for me so I am ok with working on it here and there.

The Egeblad is a simple pattern to follow but will take some time and a bit of patience to do but I really want to try something new for me. I have been playing around with the magic ring method and I think I have it down pretty well so.......... Anyone want to do it with me in July? I thought we could just keep this thread going so you can work on whatever you want to or do the Egeblad with me. What do you ladies think?

I can't, Tammy. It sounds so nice. You're talking a Niebling design, right? I have one of his all set to go but my hands are not going to take it right now. I am finding I can do a little machine sewing since you don't have to grasp needles or your crochet work constantly but can work with more-or-less open hands most of the time. That semi-closed fist used to grasp is part of what gets to me. It makes me feel a little better to know I can be productive with my sewing machine, anyway. Hand sewing is just as hard on me as knitting or crochet, though. (I called the orthopedist back for an appointment — early July is the soonest I can get in because, like everyone else, he is on vacation. :lol)

It's great that you feel magic ring is going to help. I use it all the time to start anything circular in crochet. It sure makes a prettier center than a bunch of chains does. The directions I really don't like say to chain three or four and then stick about a dozen DCs into the first stitch. Huh? Ug-lee.

Thats ok Carla. You can be my cherrleader if you want. I really hope you hands get better and they can do something to get you some releif. I hate when i cant work on the things I love to do. That is why my secret project is taking me so long. It is all thread and will take a long time to do so I do it when I can.

I will say a prayer for you that everything works out for you. Thanks for all you support in my venture into lace knitting. It means a lot to me. :hug

Oh, that's sweet. Thank you for your prayers, Tammy. I really shouldn't complain. At least I do have hands!

So would you post a link to a finished Egeblad? I know I've seen one but can't recall it offhand.

Hi guys,

Very bad weather here in western pa.

Tornados,

Flash floods,

My basement looked like a indoor swimming pool! Using my blackberry now to post internet down. Hope its back up later, and me back to being dry. Lol

Oh, no, Ana! Try to stay safe! And I am so sorry about your poor flooded basement. May it go no farther. Weather can sure be scary sometimes. I pray that your storms will soon be over!

Tammy, I have seen that before. I know little about Niebling and Duchrow (who gets credit for Egeblad at your link) but for some reason I believe their names are linked together on some of these patterns. On Ravelry there is a Niebling group and I'm almost certain this pattern has been attributed to him instead of her at least somewhere on that forum. I'll try to take a look and clear that up, if for no other reason than my own confusion. The Niebling I have ready is Frosted Ferns. Oddly, I can't seem to find the link in my favorites although I am fairly certain I put it there. :think

I'm hoping my hands will ease up enough to start back on my scarf this weekend. I managed to get my med bottle open around noon yesterday so that should help. LOL, when he got home my husband thoughtfully closed it back up for me again! :lol I just handed it back over and said, "Open it!" Then I put the whole bottle into a glass jar with a lid which I CAN open, every time. "Here, this is what I'm doing. Please don't close my med bottle again." He nodded. That particular bottle has been reeeeeeeeaaalllly hard to open up although I have others which are no problem.

ETA: I searched and found the link to Frosted Ferns. It's saved now, too!

Oh Ana you poor thing! I will pray that things dry up for you. I was raised in Ohio and our basement used toflood all the time. BOY is that a mess to clean up! The main thing is that you are all safe. That is all that really matters.

Carla the Frosted Ferns is gorgeous. That is going on the "to do" list too. I just have to find the link to the pattern now. Gorgeous.

Mamaoso I hope you are feeling better.

Today I will be working on my scarf a little and making bookmarks for the library. I have to take the dogs to the vet tomorrow for thier shots and heartworm meds. That is pretty much a half day trip or more. Their vet moved and is now at least an hour drive away. I can do the shots myself and I would go somewhere closer but I used to work for this vet and have known him for 15 years so to me he is worth the trip. There goes my yarn budget for the next few months. Having no jobs and living on AZ's unemployment of $200 a week sucks! Oh well, it could always be worse. At least I still have a roof over my head and food on the table (grow a lot of my own) so I am blessed.

Have a good day everyone.

I've got Frosted Fern links, Tammy. Here they are:

Written directions

Charted directions page 1 and Charted directions page 2

If I went back into the workforce I would have a hard time making more than minimum wage because while I have skills, I have no degrees to back them up. Employers will really stick you if you don't have a degree. Sorry your job isn't better paying, Tammy. My personal feeling is that U.S. minimum wage is a disgrace, but... that's pretty far off-topic, isn't it? :wink

The top weekly unemployment is $240 a week before taxes which I dont know how anyone in AZ can survive on this. We do ok because we had some money put away but the cost of living is still pretty high here. The average 1 bd appartment is about $750 a month. I don't know how most of them survive.

I know companies always say theuy want people with degrees but I don't know how true that really is either. The DH and I both have masters degrees and even before the economy tanked we had hard times finding jobs. We always hear that we are over qualified. WHAT? Either you want someone with a degree and experience or you don't so whats with that?

OK off that soapbox and back to knitting. There is nothing I can do about it so why waste my energy on negativity?

Thanks for posting the pattern link. I have it saved now. :hug

If you want to get really mad about wages vs. housing, check out Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich from your local library. I read it a few years ago and have been outraged ever since. I am very blessed since my husband makes excellent money and we paid our house off about a year ago. But if we depended on what I can make, we would have to turn off the air conditioning and eat nothing but beans. We like beans but at least right now we have a choice. And no air here in Texas would be miserable. Actually, I'm not sure we could pay both utilities and the gasoline to live 14 miles out of town on min wage. Food? Health care? Ouch.

Anyway... oh yeah, knitting. We were talking about knitting, weren't we? :knit

Good Friday morning to everyone! It's gonna be another hot one here.

Ana, how are you? I hope the storms haven't been too horrible for you. I thought of you several times yesterday.

Better, mamaoso? We haven't heard from you in a couple of days. I hope this doesn't mean you are worse.

Kelly, is your staycation now? I can't remember.

Tammy, how's the scarf coming?

As I mentioned earlier I've been machine sewing some this week in deference to my aching hands. I don't have all these bags finished yet but here is a sample of what I am doing a step at a time, assembly-line fashion. They could have all been done the same day had I truly buckled down to it but I've been lazy. This link sends you to another Crochetville post. Sheer, Re-usable Produce Bags.

HI guys ,

Still trying to dry out .:help.We are trying to fix the problem ..and it seems like a retaining wall has to be build, . It really only happens when there are heavy rains :2rain.. The weather channel is posting another :stormfor tonight .I just hope that all the work we did will hold up. I even got a little knitting done last night .:yes

I've be off doing nothing.. Not even getting on the computer.

Haven't even picked up my shawl to work on.

Hubbie brought me my laptop so I can catch up on things that have been going on with my friends..

Goldkeeper- Hope your basement drys out and that you fixed the problem. Growing up in MN ours would be flooded every spring.

HomekeepingGran - praying that your hands feel better.. Besides I think those child-proof bottles are really adult proof. I've gotton so mad trying to open one of those bottles that I threw it on the floor and broke it, by stomping on it.:lol

wiz - You go girl. Think you are the only one working on you things, right now.:cheer

Hey, guys!

Wow, Ana. You've got a job ahead of you it sounds like. I hope it all goes well.

mamaoso, glad you're better. May you get WELL.

I started back on my scarf last night but am finding I have to stop every few rows to rest my crazy hands. I dunno about this.

Hi Guys ,

Pretty much dry now in the basement ..one thing the flood helps me is clean out things I forgot I had in the basement that I don't need anymore :think My poor plants and my veggie garden are little over watered ..:eek ..So I need a couple of good sunny days:sun to help them out , and I think we are getting some this week ..:clap

Carla I hope your hands are feeling better .:yes..I also had trouble with opening bottles so I have a pill box I put them into and boy did I need my medicine this past week :(

Mamaoso glad you checked in hope you are feeling better..:hug

Tammy ..I have birds and a cat and when vet time comes around sometime is more than our own doctor's cost..:yes

I will be doing a little extra for hubby today he worked so hard on that flood in the basement ..He needs the rest.

Oh.. and now I have the girls and some babies coming to see me in the morning ..and also some humming birds came to visit..I do love birdies ..:manyheart

post-6068-135897418055_thumb.jpg

Ana thanks for sharing the pictures. I love any kind of animal. Glad to hear the basement is drying up. What a mess. I will send you some sun if you send me a bit of the wet stuff. We could use it in the desert. I dont have any lawn left. Its all gone brown or dies off without the water.

Carla don't push that hand lady! You don't want to cause more problems. I had to learn that the hard way when I broke mine. Trust me you don't want to go through that.

I haven't been working on my scarf lately. I am trying to get a few things made for the holiday in July ROAK and also working on bookmarks for the library. I have lost count on how many I have made now but I don't look forward to weaving in ends or blocking them. Oh well. It will be worth it in the end. I have been trying to remeber to weave them as I go so I don't have to spend forever doing it later.

Yesterday I particippated in our local knit in public day. We had a lot of fun. I couldn't stop laughing and only managed to make one bookmark the whole time we were there. Not a productive day but it was fun.

Hello, hello! How are things in your part of the world this Monday morning, Ladies? I told myself I was going to walk, but... I didn't. I'll see if I can make it to Curves later this morning.

:ttalk Glad to hear that your basement is not so wet now, Ana. I read or talk to people whose basements flood and think how bad it would be for that to be a regular enough occurrence not to be able to use the basement for "stuff" like I would want to. Your turkeys are practically tame! I had no idea they would be anything but wiley and skittish. Perhaps even some of them adapt to the modern world!

mamaoso, I had to laugh when you said you deliberately smashed the pill bottle. I'll keep that in mind for the next time, LOL.

Tammy, if I ever do participate in a group knit or crochet, it will have to be something relatively dummy proof, because this dummy makes mistakes if not giving her work total attention. Where did you go to KIP? Were there any sightseers? (ie. people amazed to see a lot of knitters/crocheters all in one spot?)

I've knitted a little over the weekend. Even a few rows a day will eventually add up. I'm not even ¼ of the way along I don't think. But the journey is fun! :yes

:knit Knit on!!!

Archived